Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night I set a new distance record for me on 1 tank of fuel. I fueled up in Gulfport MS then drove to Memphis TN then to Athens TN. I set the cruise on 58 mph. There was light traffic and hardly any wind. I went 700.9 miles.
I used 23.618 gallons for 29.7 mpg, I always top the tank off. In Gulfport I put in 24.063 gallons. The van is a 159 hightop diesel.

Reactions: MJAB

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
That's pretty impressive!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Congratulations, this diesel is a road burner. I often go 550-600 miles and have never put in over 21 gallons doing that. I suspected a brave soul could get a 700 mile tank and now it has happened.

·
Registered
538 Posts
By comparison my hi top short gasser goes about 400 or so miles on a tank when driven gently. I probably don't drive enough to warrant a diesel though. My 14 gasser just rolled past 16k today on the way to my Dentist's.

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
216 Posts
You must have the optional GPS system? If you don't then I need to fiddle with my buttons because I always look at the orange pixilated mpg display.

·
Registered
117 Posts
y'all gonna make me hate getting the gasser. But then I got 73.6 mpg on my BMW gasser in a competition. Sigh

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Wait my old F650GS gets 76mpg nearly all the time. Is there a competition? Do I win something? You will be fine with the gasser, ignore our diesel bragging and be happy!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RD, I try to drive until I get the tank as empty as I can. I feel that doing so any contaminants will get sucked up into the fuel filter instead of lying around at the bottom of the fuel tank. I have often filled it with 23 gallons or so but just never at this distance. Many times I stop early because of price, the big truck stops can be 40 cent or more per gallon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2much, no I do not have the gps version, I have the standard 5.0 without sat radio or gps

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
RD, I try to drive until I get the tank as empty as I can. I feel that doing so any contaminants will get sucked up into the fuel filter instead of lying around at the bottom of the fuel tank. I have often filled it with 23 gallons or so but just never at this distance. Many times I stop early because of price, the big truck stops can be 40 cent or more per gallon.
I hear ya on the truck stops. I just open “Gas Buddy” on my phone in the last 100 miles or so and when it gives me a killer price I let it lead me to the station with Maps. I go to a truck stop as a last resort and in 33K miles have used them about three times and all were scussy and spilled diesel was everywhere. Regular stations often have both the best price and are generally clean and no spills. YMMV.
I don’t think you need to worry about the crud in the bottom of the tank as all fuel injected vehicles have a fuel pressure relief valve and cycle a fair amount of fuel back into the tank all the time. The fuel is well mixed and any crud has been removed from the bottom long before you get down to there. It used to be different but those days are gone. Relax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts