Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,118 Posts
True, but every time you go to a new place it's a new experience, and you guys do eventually head home, even if just to restock and handle various life things. Living in a van full time with no place to go to, that probably gets old.
That "going home" to bricks and mortar will become a chore once one transforms your build into what becomes very comfortable.

If you have ties to your B&M, relatives local who would benefit from your presence, that is a whole different story. Many different reasons, economic, family, etc.

Of course if you are fulltime on a limited income and can't travel because you are afraid of costs or getting covid, well, you need to adjust your state of mind AND do something to better your situation.

Diane and I lived and travelled throughout Central America for ten years. We built a home in Costa Rica to use as a base, sense of community, and that seemed the "new/old normal". Believe me, after cruising the US for a couple of years, we debunked the that old/normal state of mind. Like a boat, the best day of our life was the day we sold our CR property. Less obligation stress and finally freedom. We love CR and we can couch surf with the hundreds of friends we have made if we get homesick.

Existence, happiness and security is nothing more than a state of mind. You control that state of mind.

Suck it up ButterCup.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That "going home" to bricks and mortar will become a chore once one transforms your build into what becomes very comfortable.

If you have ties to your B&M, relatives local who would benefit from your presence, that is a whole different story. Many different reasons, economic, family, etc.

Of course if you are fulltime on a limited income and can't travel because you are afraid of costs or getting covid, well, you need to adjust your state of mind AND do something to better your situation.

Diane and I lived and travelled throughout Central America for ten years. We built a home in Costa Rica to use as a base, sense of community, and that seemed the "new/old normal". Believe me, after cruising the US for a couple of years, we debunked the that old/normal state of mind. Like a boat, the best day of our life was the day we sold our CR property. Less obligation stress and finally freedom. We love CR and we can couch surf with the hundreds of friends we have made if we get homesick.

Existence, happiness and security is nothing more than a state of mind. You control that state of mind.

Suck it up ButterCup.
My Chattels & I are in a constant fight for dominance.

I think I own them, & they present themselves with ownership of me. 🤔

I am working hard on changing my state of mind, just as they call for an oil change or other maintenance.

Sometimes I feel like a dog with a collar & my chattels have the leash in hand.

The more “things & stuff” I have the more leashes connected to that big thick collar. 😳

The thought of less is more & the attraction towards minimalism for me as I get older creeps in.

Oh well, back into the fray & my attempt to mind altering.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,463 Posts
Especially when "going home" is a boring 1000-mile slog. That house in Oklahoma is no longer my home. It is a millstone as el hefe describes. MrNomer does not agree.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
My Chattels & I are in a constant fight for dominance.

I think I own them, & they present themselves with ownership of me. 🤔

I am working hard on changing my state of mind, just as they call for an oil change or other maintenance.

The more “things & stuff” I have the more leashes connected to that big thick collar. 😳

The thought of less is more & the attraction towards minimalism for me as I get older creeps in.

Oh well, back into the fray & my attempt to mind altering.
Good reason to pull along a trailer. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,544 Posts

Suck it up ButterCup.
I can only guess what I’ll end up doing. As an artist I imagine I will want some kind of physical Space where I can work. And we have the family home my sister will live in. As a solo van girl it depends on how I orchestrate the next few years, how I connect up with people, dog events, family stuff, artistic ventures…. Traveling around by myself seeing beauty isn’t enough as a long term thing for me. Although maybe if I tell great dog stores/travel videos it will be enough. I have no idea!!

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,591 Posts
I just boutg
As an artist I imagine I will want some kind of physical Space where I can work.
They tell me that performing any creative craftmanship passionately, qualifies you as an artist. My ex was an artist and I learned a lot from her.
I always wanted a shop I could walk into in my bedroom slippers or a living room I could drive a motorcycle into.

So... I bought this place a few months ago for myself. Trips won't be to "get away" but just for the sake of seeing and exploring interesting places.

Building Plant Land lot Urban design Slope

Sky Water resources Water Land lot Urban design

Muskoka is a summer destination for Toronto residents and was the #1 most searched Canadian destination for vacation rentals in 2017.[5] The Muskoka region was also ranked #1 for best trips of 2011 by National Geographic, and was a finalist for the same distinction in 2012.

The name of the municipality derives from a First Nations chief of the 1850s. Lake Muskoka was then the hunting grounds of a troop led by Chief Yellowhead or Mesqua Ukie or Musquakie. He was revered by the government, who built a home for him in Orillia where he lived until his death at the age of 95.

Muskoka has 60,000 permanent residents, but an additional 100,000 seasonal property owners spend their summers in the region every year, making this a major summer colony.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Already dropping in price pretty quickly. In the photos on the Renogy page for this item, they show a van and a sailboat and a couple camping pics.
I don't know the weight, but I can see people using these on a mobile platform. Very interesting.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Already dropping in price pretty quickly. In the photos on the Renogy page for this item, they show a van and a sailboat and a couple camping pics.
I don't know the weight, but I can see people using these on a mobile platform. Very interesting.
Price Drop 🤔

Not Sure what is happening in the USA (I haven’t spent much time on it since 2008), but here in Canada;

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

You can buy GIC @ 5% where before it might have been 1% or 1.5%

Real Estate is an all time high & mortgage rates are on a huge rise & inflation has shed the grasp of the Canadian Government (they are freaking out after historical lowest BOC Rates almost at 0%).

So ,,, Price Drop? Yup Probably gonna be a trend in Canada as inflation is battled.

If anyone is looking to unload their “usually depreciating van asset” now might be a good time. Well if one wanted to “dispose” of it. IMO we are going to start to see Promaster vans trend towards 2020 or 2021 pricing, butnwho knows maybe people will bail out of the Real Estate Market & live on 4 wheels & thus the demand gets higher.

Are Tiny Homes still a thing in the USA?

Aircraft Aviation Font Aerospace manufacturer Wing

They Are Victims? 🤔

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,544 Posts
Are Tiny Homes still a thing in the USA?
I'm a huge tiny living fan. Conversations I've had with people over the years has been, where do you park them? Looks like tiny home villages are popping up, even with a resort vibe. I read somewhere of a place where it was a solution for homelessness. I even see adds for prefab tiny homes you can buy on amazon. San francisco has an apartment complex where they rent out space the size of a closet. My first apartment in NYC was about that big. My feeling is that tiny living is just beginning.

https://tinyhouseblog.com/announcement/a-new-tiny-house-resort-community-comes-to-pennsylvania/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great! In what state?
The entire West Coast, (Washington, Oregon, California) I haven't looked beyond that, but I did see this quote from a study.

"The tiny home village model is increasingly seen as an interim solution to address homelessness."

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,966 Posts
It's only a matter of time before 'average' home sizes shrink substantially across the board. The accepted western model is totally unsustainable on a global scale and even at the current scale. The number of McMansion neighborhoods still springing up around places like the Atlanta area is just obscene.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those chattels can be very heavy. That realization makes the minimalist movement attractive. I recently heard the term "Kondo it" (as in Marie Kondo) when discussing getting rid of the things that tie you down. Around the time I, as a 70 something, realized I didn't want much or any of my parent's things, and my kid's don't want much or any of mine, I heard of the book "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning", and it made great sense. It's freeing to sort and boot those movable goods! Home is where I am - in my comfy brick and mortar or exploring the world with my van. I, like @Lolaeliz, am content to be creative, and also to explore, learn, and be connected to loved ones. Hope my 60,000 mi van goes for many years, but I've got money saved up for that new engine, transmission, etc. ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
The entire West Coast, (Washington, Oregon, California) I haven't looked beyond that, but I did see this quote from a study.

"The tiny home village model is increasingly seen as an interim solution to address homelessness."

Look it up in the Asheville NC area a recent THOW (tiny house on wheels) community was created. Some fifty spots I believe, they also created a second "park" in the area, that may not complete yet. The first one filled up quickly. Lots are for rent only, include utilities, rec house, trails, fire pits...Bring your THOW.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts