Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approached a steep uphill intersection and stopped.
Did not see a vehicle on the right, waited for a vehicle to cross from the left to right.
After the vehicle passed, looked both ways and proceeded.
Whoa, surprise, surprise, almost T-boned a car from the right.
In 30k+ miles I had not noticed the huge blind spot from right pillar to mirror, check it out.
The steep uphill made the blind area larger, impressive!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Approached a steep uphill intersection and stopped.
Did not see a vehicle on the right, waited for a vehicle to cross from the left to right.
After the vehicle passed, looked both ways and proceeded.
Whoa, surprise, surprise, almost T-boned a car from the right.
In 30k+ miles I had not noticed the huge blind spot from right pillar to mirror, check it out.
The steep uphill made the blind area larger, impressive!
It’s helpful to have a window in your slider. I’m thinking about installing a 2nd dymyco camera pointed in that direction - I’d set it up to manually pop out the plug for the rear camera and simply plug in the right camera on an as needed basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah, have noticed that right, front A-pillar starts to get wide at the top of the mirror and by the time you get to the window opening there's a huge area that is completely blocked. Facing up a hill would put the widest part of it right in your line of sight and completely cover anything coming from the right. Moving out very slowly, combined with some serious rubber necking is all I've been able to do to get out of those situations. For those on flat land it's not as much an issue but anyone driving in hilly terrain especially will have to contend with it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just started to trust my bobble-head vision sweep, left to right, back to center then right to left before committing to 'iffy' turns like right-on-red or bushwhacking through mega parking aisle lots...

This last weekend, familiar intersection, right-on-red leaving Interstate exit ramp onto County Road...

Did the look left and right then lean and peer again to ensure I was clear... and a twenty-something Chick on a bicycle pretty much beamed in from some alternate universe right smack in front of me. I mean a young inexperienced bicyclist that had zero fear of three-tons of steel because she had the fashion statement apparel on...

I have no clue how I missed the dayglow colors and perky, well, pretty young thing but that for I hadn't commited to the accelerator pedal yet I avoided noodging her.

I'm still feeling the startle - add a One-Mississippi Two-Mississippi count and check again so moving objects reveal themselves!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
As a motorcycle rider I see this from the other side where folks will be looking right at me and then pull out. If you are not looking for it you won’t see it. Our brains are a funny organ.
In WW1 some ships were painted in a camouflage called “dazzle” to take advantage of that. They were so obvious they were not seen due to not looking like a ship.
EB1922_Camouflage_Periscope_View.jpg

Impressive how they disappear!

Reactions: RV8R and Deryn

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE="Van_Dreams, post: 714075, member: 207689"]
It’s helpful to have a window in your slider. I’m thinking about installing a 2nd dymyco camera pointed in that direction - I’d set it up to manually pop out the plug for the rear camera and simply plug in the right camera on an as needed basis.
[/QUOTE]

The side window addition was the best mod done, hands down. Merging from the left was a nightmare.
Too err is human, not to crash is divine.
As a motorcyclist, the assumption is that the bike is invisible, bright lights, loud horn and pipe noise can be somewhat annoying assets.

·
Registered
306 Posts
In any vehicle, I move side-to-side to look around the pillars. I keep my mirrors adjusted per Click and Clack , and lean to the side to check things out. I just got done putting a rear-view display in the van (in addition to the back up camera, this one is narrower in view and lets me see what's barreling down the road to hit me). I don't subscribe to the "drive like you are invisible" philosophy, I subscribe to the philosophy of "drive as though there were a 20 story neon sign pointing at you saying '20 million dollars if you make it look like an accident."

·
Registered
45 Posts
The RH A pillar is a blind spot for sure. I have the Dymco camera mounted on a factory mirror and while I love the camera, that too creates a 12" wide blind spot as well. Maybe I'll try running split cameras see if it helps now that I think of it..
The RH mirror has its own blind spot as well. Learned this almost taking out a guy on a bicycle making a RH turn as he was passing me on my right. Drove the van for two months before I learned this.
Its a small blind spot, too small to lose a car in but a ped or bicycle yes.
The addition of an amazon 2" spot mirror as shown below pretty much overcomes it. I have had to train myself to check all three mirrors before making a move. Put one on the drivers side too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I've been doing the "bob-and-weave" before every right-hand lane change or right-hand turn. Bending forward, head towards the steering wheel, changes the angle of view through the right-hand mirror enough that I'm ok without a passenger slider window. When doing this, I look like Muhammad Ali in his prime.

A serious problem is a left-hand turn from a road that gently blends into the road I want to turn into. Not having a passenger slider window is a serious threat in this situation. You can't see oncoming cars from the right! My method of dealing with this is to "sharpen" the angle as much as I can--intentionally turning to the right just before the turn so that I can see oncoming cars through the passenger door window.

The most dangerous is the rare merge-from-the-left-on-ramp maneuver. I don't have an opportunity to "sharpen" the angle like above. In this situation, I'm now 1974 Muhammad Ali, in The Rumble in the Jungle with George Foreman.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
.....I’m thinking about installing a 2nd dymyco camera pointed in that direction - I’d set it up to manually pop out the plug for the rear camera and simply plug in the right camera on an as needed basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same 2 camera thought, but I've been searching high and low for a 2.5mm TRRS plug A-B switch, I'm thinking they don't exist even in China.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts