Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any scary things that happen when I disconnect the battery in my van? I figure the radio will need some security code entered but anything else? Or is there someway to keep things minimally energized for a few minutes while I'm disconnected?

TIA

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe the oil change indicator will be reset and the transmission shift logic will reset to the factory default and will begin to relearn your driving habits when you start driving again.

Nothing happened to my radio when I disconnected my battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any little 12 volt battery (even two 6 volt lantern batteries in series)attached with jumpers (short wires with alligator clips) to the battery cables will keep all volatile memory intact while you make battery changes and modifications.

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
They do sell a little gizmo you can stick in your lighter receptical that will provide 12v for the radio memory but you can easily make up something yourself. All in all it probably isn't worth the bother unless you don't have the radio code.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any little 12 volt battery (even two 6 volt lantern batteries in series)attached with jumpers (short wires with alligator clips) to the battery cables will keep all volatile memory intact while you make battery changes and modifications.
Yes that's Right. When I installed my 3 ax battery's I did use jump-cables from one of an extra battery. I did NOT brake a +12v circuit to a van.

I did install 4 switches from every battery to power 5000watts inverter.

But, interesting, what will happens if it disconnect ?:|

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I disconnected mine when I installed the Sportscraft seat swivel and I waited the 1/2 hour they recommend to let residual electricity drain from capacitors etc. That way the seat's airbag could not go off and blow off my head leaving my wife 47 payments to make on a van she might not realize could help her find a replacement. I had to enter a 4 digit code for my UC3 radio to work again, lost the "A" and "B" mileage, average mpg, and range but not the miles till service as far as I know.
My attitude is, this is nuisance stuff and much less important than an exploding battery, airbag deployment, or electrical fire. I do this as a matter of course when working on such systems and also if welding on a vehicle or mechanically operating near the starter, battery etc. My caution was fostered in my teens by having my 1960 Valiant up on 4 blocks in the process of renewing the tailpipe and removing the starter. I shorted the wrench across the terminals of the solenoid, jamming and welding it in place which left the starter engaged. My first thought to remove it was to slither past the turning rear wheels (it was in reverse), jump up and grab the battery terminals with my bare hands which failed to move of course, and then in desperation to cut the negative wire with a bolt cutter I had nearby. Do something like that once and you change your whole attitude about what is important and what is a nuisance. It's good to live to tell the story too.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Ah yes the code. When I picked up the van the paperwork guy ($250) had a bunch of stuff they hand you in the process of your signing a bunch of forms you hardly understand. He happened to show me a small cardboard rectangle with a scrap of paper glued to it in a plastic zip lock bag, mentioning that it was the radio code and to keep it to reset the radio if the battery was ever disconnected. Really(!) and I remembered, as it was only a couple of weeks later. 4 digits entered into the station selection keys. I have that code in my owners book now as who is going to rob me of this UC3 radio? Secret code.... Blah! I expect the dealer can retrieve it from your VIN and associated info.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

I know I've seen that card or piece of paper so I'll find it before I undo the battery.

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
This is an interesting subject. I have sealed pink plastic envelope that came in my owners manual that shows a four digit code number for the radio. I've had my starting battery disconnected in the past for about an hour to reset the CPU and never needed to put a code back in when I reconnected it. My uConnect5 was replaced under warranty when it was about a month old because of a bad GPS module and I have no idea if they gave me a new code or not or the new one was reprogrammed to reflect the original code.

Bottom line is you should have a pink plastic envelope that came with your owners manual that shows a code number on it. My code is 1410.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
My UC3 has 2359, and I am willing for you all to know, but it is a joke because no one is going to steal my radio! I have needed it twice when I disconnected it for the swivels and then for the new swivel.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I would have guessed them to be the same, but we are showing they are not. We probably all have different VIN numbers too

·
Registered
735 Posts
My UC3 has 2359, and I am willing for you all to know, but it is a joke because no one is going to steal my radio! I have needed it twice when I disconnected it for the swivels and then for the new swivel.
I bought my van used and the owners manual wasnt there so I have no clue what my code is. I'll ask the dealer as you suggested.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Speaking of disconnecting the battery to install swivel seats, why not just pull the appropriate fuse instead?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts