Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install swivels, instruction say disconnect neg at battery to prevent air bag surprise, Question, will the radio work or will I have to enter the code after I'm reconnect the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have disconnected the battery several times. To weld and such.
Every thing works,but you have to set the time and date.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a set time to wait, on all my vehicles i never payed much attention to that. Usually by time i got to doing the work i had to do after disconnecting the battery, at least a minute has gone by, maybe that's enough for any charges to die off?

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Going to install swivels, instruction say disconnect neg at battery to prevent air bag surprise, Question, will the radio work or will I have to enter the code after I'm reconnect the battery?
Please photo the install and send it up along with the product ID and where you bought them and how it worked out. With the factory swivels at $495 each I plan to do this too. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Please photo the install and send it up along with the product ID and where you bought them and how it worked out. With the factory swivels at $495 each I plan to do this too. Thanks!
Mojogoat,

Yes, some pictures would be very helpful. Now that I added a floor at the same height as the seating "step-up", swivels would work even better, with your feet on the floor as you turn.

Inquiring minds want to see!

Ed

·
Registered
887 Posts
The Eurocampers swivel instruction sheet gives a time to wait after disconnecting battery ground. I forgot what it said. It was longer than I thought necessary. Several minutes.

Beware with aftermarket swivels, seat is permanently higher. I'd choose factory swivels if I had the choice.

Jack seat up 1 1/2" and see of you're comfortable before choosing after market swivel.

I only installed them on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Anyone out there have the factory swivels to know they don't also lift the seat? I see from the "built it" you can't have both lumbar and swivels, and BOTH seats must swivel ($990!). I need both swivel and lumbar. Any possibility of lowering the seat with the swivels? I'm 5'8" but the SO is 5'2", she's not going to like being up that high!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife has same complaint until we put a removable piece of 3" foam on the floor board. Quite happy now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Anyone out there have the factory swivels to know they don't also lift the seat? I see from the "built it" you can't have both lumbar and swivels, and BOTH seats must swivel ($990!). I need both swivel and lumbar. Any possibility of lowering the seat with the swivels? I'm 5'8" but the SO is 5'2", she's not going to like being up that high!
Factory swivels are not yet available for cargo vans. They are listed on the build site and in dealer ordering books, but cannot be selected when ordering. Donlen Fleet site says the factory will start production on swivels on 12/15/14. Dealers will not commit to that date and some say not until after the first of the year. Once ordered it may take 3 months or more before they actually show up on cargo vans.

However, Winnebago has 2 RVS, Trend and Travato, based on the Promaster which use the factory swivels. I saw a Travato a couple of weeks ago and checked out the swivels. They match the drawings shown in the Promaster owners manual. AND, they include a functioning Lumbar Support knob as shown in the diagrams.

So the question is, when the swivel option becomes available for cargo vans will it also include the Lumbar adjustment option? The build site does not say and dealers don't know. But the pricing could indicate that Lumbar might be included with the swivels. In 2014, even though you couldn't order them, the swivel option MSRP was $425, or $850 for both driver and passenger. For 2015, the swivel option is now $495 and requires both driver and passenger, so really $990 for both. In 2014, driver and passenger lumbar support was a $100 option, in 2015 the option is $150. The 2015 increase of $140 for the swivels is a much higher percenatage increase than most other options, so perhaps the swivels will now include the lumbar. That could also explain why you cannot order the swivels and lumbar together in 2015.

But until they actually become available, we won't really know.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try this, Stack $500 worth of 20's and slip them behind your back and order a set of swivels to install yourself.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is anyone familiar with these Swivel seats ? I would like install swivel bases in my van.

http://www.promasteraccessories.com/swivels.htm
I would not recommend them because Eurocampers is cheaper.

I have the Eurocampers swivels. They are very heavy duty and also the same ones shown on dozens of Euro web sites for Ducatos. The instruction are German and Eurocampers includes English translation.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
....cut....

However, Winnebago has 2 RVS, Trend and Travato, based on the Promaster which use the factory swivels. I saw a Travato a couple of weeks ago and checked out the swivels. They match the drawings shown in the Promaster owners manual. AND, they include a functioning Lumbar Support knob as shown in the diagrams.

.....cut......
I checked out a Travato and really liked the seat which included swivel. A major difference I see between these that appeared to be factory and adding aftermarket swivel bases is that the seatbelt shoulder harness is mounted to seat rather than body B pillar. This detail makes rotating seat much easier (granted a luxury since aftermarket swivel can work also). On the other hand when shoulder seatbelt is attached to seat, the seat and swivel "may" have to be stronger. Not sure since seatbelt doesn't help in rear-end collision and thus seat may have to take full load anyway.

Still, if I order a PM, I will get the factory swivel with integrated seat belts.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
One more thing -- on the Travato the seats are adjustable for height. There are two knobs on door side, one towards front and one towards rear, that adjust the seat infinitely. Someone in a thread had described a belt drive under seat as part of swivel, but they are actually belts to connect jack screws on each side of seat to lift each side the same amount. The seat cushion can be adjusted front or back separately. I don't know if all PMs are like this, but the Travato's seats and their adjustment was better than I anticipated.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
From Winnebago Travato Specs:

"Cab seats ​armrests, adjustable lumbar support, adjustable headrest and slide/swivel/recline"

I don't recall the lumbar support, but it appears it's included. We just need to confirm these are the same RAM factory seats. I'm guessing they are but not certain. Since swivel and recline handles are built into seat trim it's hard to imagine they didn't come from one source. Whether that was RAM or not is a good question.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From Winnebago Travato Specs:

"Cab seats ​armrests, adjustable lumbar support, adjustable headrest and slide/swivel/recline"

I don't recall the lumbar support, but it appears it's included. We just need to confirm these are the same RAM factory seats. I'm guessing they are but not certain. Since swivel and recline handles are built into seat trim it's hard to imagine they didn't come from one source. Whether that was RAM or not is a good question.
Based on what I saw, and comparing the Travato Seats to the diagrams in the Promaster Owners Manual, I also believe they are the same and sourced by RAM. And they definitely had the Lumbar Adjustment knob which was functional. I also recall a detailed Video of the Travato where the narrators claimed that the seats were RAM factory seats. Just have to wait until they actually show up in a cargo van to be sure.

Which is what I am waiting for!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts