Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow I drained my battery on a brand new PM, I suspect from leaving a door ajar for several days (though I'd read that the interior lights had a feature to eventually turn off to avoid this very scenario?) and I'd like to permanently disable the lights over the slider and rear doors. Is there a fuse to remove or unplug at the source?

I got it charged with a trickle charger after a few hours, but I now have an indicator light on the dash saying it needs service. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to go back to the dealer? thanks

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,604 Posts
owners manual, if you need a link let me know :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thanks, but my question is about actually removing it. I don't think I want the lights there as I will have plenty of lights connected to the house batteries.

·
Registered
3500 extended on order in Michigan
20 Posts
Yes thanks, but my question is about actually removing it. I don't think I want the lights there as I will have plenty of lights connected to the house batteries.
Cut and cap the two wires going to each light then remove the lights.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
194 Posts
The two lights in the cargo area are super easy to remove and disconnect. They are held in place with plastic clips formed in the housing, so you need to (carefully) pry them out from one side, then unclip the wiring connector. I don't recommend cutting the wires, it's unnecessary damage.

My PM is a 2018 and pretty much everything from the starter battery times out after 20 minutes (lights, radio, etc.). You may want to double-check there isn't some parasitic drain by using an ammeter. I picked up a loop-style ammeter from Amazon for $35 that I've tested against current measurements and it's proven to be accurate enough to help me get closer to pinpointing a parasitic draw in my Acura.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,026 Posts
I actually relocated the one near the slider into a closet I built. I think it is still a useful light. I also have plenty of lights from the house batteries, but I think having a light or two from the van is a good back up. I will provide a picture tomorrow (if I remember). I pried the light out and then put it in a close but different location as the original location would be partially in my shower.

·
Registered
2017 159" High Roof
174 Posts
I assume that by removing the cargo lights it doesn’t throw a dashboard notification like it did when my license plate light went out, right?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I assume that by removing the cargo lights it doesn’t throw a dashboard notification like it did when my license plate light went out, right?
My van is not giving me a warning and I removed both rear lights, so I suspect there will be no warning light for you as well.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I relocated both of my, too. Having one in the garage (under the bed) is really handy. No fumbling for a switch, it just comes on automatically when I open the back door. The other one above the slider is turned off most of the time, but it's still functional. Options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts