Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting a dimmer switch on my 12v LED ceiling lights. Can I use a standard house type 110V switch with dimmer built in?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. These lights are .25A each with 4 on one switch, 2 on a switch and two more on s switch.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
RD & î bought some 12v LED dimmers with remotes. I forget the source (eBay maybe) they came from china directly very quickly and at about $3 each were a good buy. The only problem is they all use one frequency for the remote! If anyone needs one you can hav it for the postage because I bought several (if I can still find them) ;)

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
"The only problem is they all use one frequency for the remote!"

Of course, if you tend to lose things every now and then, it's good that you can use the extra remotes with a single base unit... I speak from experience.;)

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
I actually have a bunch of them. Don’t remember where I got them but they work off a small remote

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
301 Posts
How come no one has made a 12v wall outlet dimmer for the RV/boating world?
I have these wall mounted 12V dimmers in my Amazon Van build wish list. Not cheap, though...

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
The Chinese ones from eBay work fine and cost next to nothing but remember not all leds cans be dimmed

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depending on the LED style, SuperbrightLEDs.com has a couple.
I'm planning on using these.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm planning on using these.

Yeah these appear to be the best ive seen so far. I ordered a couple yesterday, hopefully they'll work out ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used these, works great.
One caveat, the lights ground through the dimmer, so I had to make two runs of wires from dimmer to lights.

One dimmer is used for my front 4 lights, the other for the back 4 lights

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah these appear to be the best ive seen so far. I ordered a couple yesterday, hopefully they'll work out ok.
These worked great for us. One thing I will note is that with four pucks per dimmer (8 total in an extended Transit) it actually did not get super dim before the cutoff. I’m considering only putting a group of two over our bed in my current build.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
I would expect that a lower dimming level before cuttoff is not a function of the number of lights connected in parallel. Most of these dimmers are PWM-controlled and the load should not have a big impact on the brightness.

In my build, I used 8 LED puck lights that each have an on/off switch, so I can decide which areas I want lit. Regardless (or irregardless) of how many are switched on or off, there is no change in the dimming level or the dimness-before-off threshold. While dimmed, switching lights on or off (changing the total number on) has no impact on the lighting/dimming level.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would expect that a lower dimming level before cuttoff is not a function of the number of lights connected in parallel. Most of these dimmers are PWM-controlled and the load should not have a big impact on the brightness.

In my build, I used 8 LED puck lights that each have an on/off switch, so I can decide which areas I want lit. Regardless (or irregardless) of how many are switched on or off, there is no change in the dimming level or the dimness-before-off threshold. While dimmed, switching lights on or off (changing the total number on) has no impact on the lighting/dimming level.
I agree, but two mostly-dimmed lights is less light than four!

Do you have switches for each light downstream of the dimmer?
(p.s. regardless isn’t a word!)

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
These are the lights I have:

Except that mine have a slide switch on the side instead of a button in the center. Back when (2014) I built my PM, the center button version didn't exist!

ps. Merriam-Webster says either is OK, so I threw in both! ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
These worked great for us. One thing I will note is that with four pucks per dimmer (8 total in an extended Transit) it actually did not get super dim before the cutoff. I’m considering only putting a group of two over our bed in my current build.
Ah dang, I already put 4 in above my bed haha. Youre right though, the lowest dim state isnt all that dim. We put in some reading lights and floor lights too though, so there will be lots of options.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts