Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mouse destroy the headliner over the cab and need to replace it. They are backordered from Mopar and quite expensive. I have found one at a junk yard for the same year but for a 1500. I have a 2017 PM 3500.

I know that the overhead console differs and the presence/absence of the overhead shelf (not the big upper cargo shelf area). I am wondering what other differences there are (or, hopefully, not!) across models.

Any insights or suggestions?

Ben
2017 PM 3500 w/ dual sliders

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm fairly certain that there is no difference in any model for things in the cab. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only difference in the 3500 ext is the the body extension on the back and the rear leaf springs may be a bit stiffer. Everything else is the same and interchangeable.
There is a difference in the headliner with the small shelf above the sun visors and the one without the shelf.
Those are not interchangeable with the shelf. If you have the shelf and want to keep it, you need the headliner designed for it. And you can't add the shelf to the headliner not designed for it.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RnR.

Can the low roof models even accommodate the shelf over the visors--is there enough room?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Not sure on that one. I've only ever looked at and been in the high roof models.
If I had to guess, I'd say the low roof models don't come with the shelf. Just because there's probably my not that overhead space to bump the headliner up to make room

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Can you post a pic or 2?
I'm curious to see if it's the same, or they made one specific for the low roof.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Looks like it's the exact same shelf and headliner as the high roof.
Good to know.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all!
I got a headliner from a 1500 (top image) at a junkyard today but it isn't the one configured for the shelf. It almost matches, but there is an extra ridge where the visors sort recess into it when folded up to the ceiling.

Still think I might be able to find away to make it work with the shelf. The console/light cutout us a different shape and a few additional holes are needed to mount the shelf througbottom image is the one I took out of my 3500 with the overhead console and small convenience shelf.
15944303379291256380826279236268.jpg

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given that I have raised my seat height a bit after installing the CTA seat swivels, I am considering installing the replacement headliner I acquired without the small overhead console/convenience package shelf in hope that it may provide a little more headroom. This loss of headroom without also installing shorter seat based is well known on the forum, of course. I am 6ft and it was indeed very tight above before I took the the headliner down to devise a replacement strategy.

Q: Can anybody confirm (or refute!) that a little more headroom will result from using the headliner designed for setups without the shelf?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
At 5'10", I have the seat close to the max height and slightly tilted back for leg comfort. I get pretty close to the overhead shelf if I lean forward, but my head clears it.
I think more than anything, the shelf gives a sense of claustrophobia for taller people, more than a head bump hazard. I think you will still have an issue with having your view cut off at the top of the windshield, by sitting higher up and being 6' tall, with or without the shelf.
But leaving it out will probably feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MsNomer--Hopefully we won't miss it, having never road tripped in the van before (bought it last month as metal box)...will try to just not remember it was there and we removed it.

Having driven over to Elkhart to have a 2nd row bench seat installed Friday without the headliner, I can see that RnR's remark about visibility may come into play when the replacment headliner is back up. My line of vision was okay looking out and to sides, but difficult at a traffic light without leaning forward. We will see!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have the traffic light problem too. But it's definitely the seat height and not the shelf.
Keep track of where the shelf attachment points are in case you ever want to fab something up, you know where you can fasten to.
Maybe even a simple bungee net type thing, just for papers and doodads. Maybe even a custom shelf, if you feel froggy.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fresnel lens is genius!

Some basic gear loft style storage is likely what we will do, or organizers that attach to the visors perhaps.

New problem.identified is that the done light assembly has a separate bezel piece in the headliner without the shelf that I need to secure the dome light. With the storage shelf, the light clicks directly into the shelf without a bezel...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Did the new headliner have the dome light assembly? Can you go back and grab it?

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It probably did, but it is 3 hours away now that I back in downstate IL from my trip to Elkhart Friday.

The bezel is $16 online...so lower cost than returning to the junkyard. Hopefully not backordered indefinitely from Mopar like the original headliner was!

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Following up now that I have the salvage headliner w/o overhead console shelf installed where there was previously an overhead console shelf.

There are 2 key differences if you are considering making a switch like I did.
1) A different bezel to mount the overhead light assembly in the headliner is required. In addition to the light assembly, the screws that mount the bezel/light assembly mount to the frame are in a different location and require a rivnut ot alternative threaded mounting point in the factory sheet metal stamping.

2) the visor bracket mount on the non-overhead console shelf headliner apparently has a differently shaped mount. The hole punched in the headliner is triangular instead of rectangular (rounded corners regardless). The hole shape isn't a huge deal, but the profile of the mount is different and if you use the visor mount for the overhead console shelf model there will be an unsightly gap. See photos below...

20200803_165629.jpg
20200803_165612.jpg
20200803_165623.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts