Ram Promaster Forum banner

181 - 200 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm a big fan of any two wheeled sport. My wife and I own a motorcycle related shop in Tennessee just south of Knoxville. We've owned street bikes and off road bikes, and currently have a few dual sports. My wife has a BMW R100GS dual sport with a side car, and she used to road race in WERA. We also ride Trials bikes. I currently compete in the South East Trials Riders Association in the Intermediate class.

I've got a pick up truck right now, and really want a Promaster so that I can carry my Trials bikes covered up, and have a place to change and sleep when I compete.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes for sure, a USA version of Marquez would be spectacular . :)
Damian rides with WERA and we will be racing at all the WERA events for 2015 !
The Diesel PM should be great to run us from race track to race track. Fuel costs have been a real big expense for getting from race to race. The van is our home on weekends at the race tracks. So if anyone makes to a WERA race and see's a PM with a Blue trailer attached, that's us.
We are going to Georgia this weekend to train with Josh Herrin, Aaron Yates and other pro's.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Great. In Usa the distance between the racetracks is so big...the country is so big. In Italy if you live in Emilia Romagna you can have Imola, Misano, Mugello, Monza, Adria ana Rijeka circuits at maximum 3 hours driving. But, doing to the crisis, you may have no money to pay...it's a difficult moment.
It's too difficult for yung boys to start a career in this beautiful world. In Spain is easier: the government help...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got in my van this evening and started it for first time today. The outside temperature display read 13 degrees Fahrenheit. Glow plug ribbon on dash stayed on for about 5 seconds before going offf and then I cranked and motor started right up. I expected to wait a long time before heat would blow. After about 2 minutes idling I figured ill turn the fan for heat on expecting cold air and to my surprise the air was hot already. Clearly the van has an Electric heat strip for instant heat !! WOW THAT WAS AWESOME. I warmed up right away. I did not know that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The ProMaster makes a great race bike hauler ...

Since then, I've carpeted the floor, and I just built a shelf for the front of the cargo area that will double as a place to sleep, and extra storage.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Very cool! I set mine up inside with a extra marine battery, 1500 watt inverter, Tv, fridge, carpeting and heater in the back. Usually my son is sleeping in back while I drive all night toget to the track. I have a Fold out arm chair he sleeps on and a folding cot for me very comfortable. Do you race with WERA at all?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just a tip for you guys picking up diesels. No light duty diesel made since 2010, the ones that require DEF, should be idled any more than necessary, especially to warm up. It quickly clogs up the EGR valve and the DPF filter that can cause all kinds of issues that'll cause downtime and a dealer visit.
Now if you have or can rig up a fast idle setup, say 1100 to 1400 rpm, that makes a big difference in available idle time length without having to drive the crud out of it for 30 to 40 minutes to clean it out.
Sprinters are real bad about this and the Ford Transit manual says no more than 20 minutes max at the standard idle speed....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do you race with WERA at all?
Haven't for years. I've stayed on my side of the border ... VRRA (our local vintage roadracing series), RACE (at Shannonville), and SOAR (at Grand Bend). I've done some CCS Midwest-region events in the mid nineties, then changed over to GLRRA which is long since defunct, and when they stopped, that was pretty much when I stopped going south of the border. Between those series and the occaional track day, I've done Grattan, Gingerman, Road America, Mid-Ohio, Barber, Jennings, Putnam Park in the US, and Shannonville (thousands of laps), St-Eustache, Sanair (defunct), Atlantic Motorsports Park, Mosport, Calabogie, and Grand Bend here.

There is a fair chance that we will be doing some track days at Jennings late Feb - early Mar 2015.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Adrian, Bobojay is absolutely correct. Never idle these modern diesels more than absolutely necessary because of the exhaust gas recirculation and other pollution controls. This is especially true when they are cold. After start, assuming it is running on all cylinders which only takes a few seconds, just drive off at moderate acceleration and speeds to get the engine warmed up as quickly as possible. Minimal idling at stop lights is OK. If you stop for three minutes to run into a store shut the engine off. Build ups of crud in parts like exhaust gas recirculating valves, turbos, after coolers, etc. is cumulative so minimize idle time especially when cold.

·
Registered
533 Posts
We will be planning on going to Jennings some time in January or February for practice. I will keep an eye out for your PM!

·
Registered
533 Posts
????? I noticed on the new van behind the wheel wells on both sides, black plastic square box's that are vents for fresh air. Is this a Diesel van thing or a 159" wheelbase thing because my 136" van that I traded did not have any vents ?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I guess I'm never going to get a diesel if I can't warm it up while I make coffee in the morning before I leave.
My morning routine is like this:
1) get up and throw clothes on to walk outside and start van.
2) Go in start coffee.
3) Brush teeth
4) take coffee to wife whose still in warm bed.
5) kiss wife good bye and tell her I love her
6) make lunch
7) pour my coffee and turn pot off
8) get in van drive away.

That's about 20 min.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very good info about idling thank you!
Personally I think the idling issue should be wrote up and made into a "sticky" at the top of the forum by someone.

About 2 1/2 years ago I had a 15 minute 1 on 1 conversation with a Mercedes engineer up at the big Winnebago rally in Iowa. It was hard for me to understand him what with the accent :)

Anyway, this was the main topic of conversation with him. One of the things he said that I hadn't thought of was that slow speed and idling for extended lengths, besides causing the "clogging" problem, also uses more DEF fluid and fuel, especially with BIO Diesel, because it has to regen more often to clean the DPF. More regen also throws more unburned fuel down into the oil, causing more frequent oil changes too.
A viscous circle.....

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
????? I noticed on the new van behind the wheel wells on both sides, black plastic square box's that are vents for fresh air. Is this a Diesel van thing or a 159" wheelbase thing because my 136" van that I traded did not have any vents ?
One way exit vents to make shutting doors easier. Have the same on the gasser.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I guess I'm never going to get a diesel if I can't warm it up while I make coffee in the morning before I leave.
2) Go in start coffee.
3) Brush teeth
6) make lunch

That's about 20 min.
With the diesel you need to get that time down ?
The computer should know you ,and start to beep the horn if you are taking
to long.:D

·
Registered
399 Posts
...Now if you have or can rig up a fast idle setup, say 1100 to 1400 rpm, that makes a big difference in available idle time length without having to drive the crud out of it for 30 to 40 minutes to clean it out.
Sprinters are real bad about this and the Ford Transit manual says no more than 20 minutes max at the standard idle speed....
At least MB gives you the option:
High Idle - Preset
Details & Technology
This electronic RPM governor maintains a constant RPM, e.g. for auxiliary drive operation.
Under load change, RPM may fluctuate by approx. +/- 50 RPM (depending on engine, loadand RPM).
The standard factory setting is 950 RPM. Higher or lower RPM can be programmed usingthe Star Diagnosis system.
Benefits
Constant rpm
Necessary if a virtually constant rpm must be maintained in order to operate an auxiliary unitsuch as a pump.
BenefitRemarks
Not suitable for operating 220V generators!Recommended for:- Ambulances- Shuttle services- Applications with longer idle times
Despite all the negativity about Sprinter on these forums, their option list is enviable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
2) Go in start coffee.
3) Brush teeth
6) make lunch

That's about 20 min.
You shouldn't do that with any engine. The slower warmup is harder on the engine than just getting in and driving it. Wastes gas and pollutes the air too. You don't have to change your routine very much just move 1) down to just before 8). That will also give you about 60sec more for 5) :x

181 - 200 of 819 Posts