Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with my dealer's rep yesterday and he received a diesel promaster. Slowly more should start coming in. I'm in NYC.

Finally!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Didn't think those would be showing up in North America. Are you planning on getting a diesel version? I can imagine that there are many advantages with the diesel engine. Fuel efficiency, torque...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to. I plan on driving 15k to 20k miles a year. It should pay for itself in a few years. I can't wait to test drive one

·
Registered
654 Posts
I was researching diesel costs in my area (Portland, OR), and to my surprise, in many instances diesel is the cost of regular gasoline.

That means the payoff is potentially much faster than in other areas of the country.

It is a complicated subject though, as gas stations are not required to list cetane ratings or other potentially useful information regarding the fuel.

For instance, using B5 biodiesel is accepted in the PM, but going up to B20 requires increased maintenance levels - even though the B20 is claimed to have a higher lubricity for the injection pump.

·
Super Moderator
9,071 Posts
Diesel traditionally goes down in price in the summer then increases substantially in colder weather. Last winter the price spread between regular was close to a dollar and now it's about 30¢ where I live.

I don't miss my diesel sprinter one bit! At about a 20% increase in fuel economy with diesel vs regular, gas is still a bargin in my opinion and I've always had a diesel car or truck since 1974.

If you plan to drive 40-50k a year it might make more sense to get a diesel but buying a diesel today because the price today is the same or almost on par with regular is not good financial thinking. My Promaster gets about 1 or 2 miles per gallon less on regular than my Sprinter did and when I do the math, that's just fine with me!

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Jeeze, B5 diesel gas isn't sold at very many places, which is the optimum fuel for the diesel PM. Am I missing something here? My search tells me:
Biodiesel is sold at regulare and alternative fuel gas stations, typically being called B20, B99, or B100. B5 is often sold in the winter in colder climates.
So, apprently most PM diesel owners will be not using the optimum diesel fuel unless they're driving in Alaska.
The PM diesel owner manual says:
Failure to comply with Oil Change requirements for vehicles operating on biodiesel blends greater than 5% but not greater than 20% (B6–B20) will result in premature engine wear. Such wear is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
In the maintenance chart, it says the Oil Change requirements for B6-B20 are:
Replace fuel filter and drain water from the fuel
filter assembly every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The optimum fuel for the PM Diesel would be #2 diesel fuel, labeled at the pump as ULSD, which stands for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. You can use biodiesel up toB5 without problems but B6 to B20 isn't recommended and B100 is off limits. I thought I read bio up to B7 was ok in the PM. Biodiesel is a negative energy fuel. It takes more energy to produce it compared to how much energy you get out of it. The AG states produce bio because, they get tax credits from the Fed. Minnesota and Illinois have Biodiesel Mandates that prevent selling diesel unless it is biodiesel.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Your statement is partly untrue.

Biodiesel of B5 to B20 is allowed, but 'the maintenance schedule is subject to shorter intervals'.
seep Page 59 of official PM Diesel supplement manual:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-RAM-ProMaster_Diesel-SU-3rd.pdf

Shorter intervals include the fuel filter, and oil changes:

• Fuel Filter:
    • 30k mi w/straight diesel
    • 20k mi w/B5-20
  • Oil Change:
    • 18.5k mi w/straight diesel
    • 10k mi w/B5-20, or 6 months
You are correct that >B20 is not recommended.
;)

You can use biodiesel up toB5 without problems but B6 to B20 isn't recommended and B100 is off limits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was basically going on Mercedes recommendations. Your best off using no biodiesel but that is hard to do in the Midwest. Minnesota just mandated 10-20biodiesel and will go to B20 Bio in 2018. Not many diesel engines are capable of using B20.

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Ram has it for everyone to download!

It is here

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was doing work for my local Ram dealer and was told they will be receiving a diesel PM next week. I will be one of the first to test drive it when they get it I am told. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations otherwise I will order a well loaded gas 1500.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's good news, I think. Not that I'm cynical or anything, but I was told a couple of weeks, months ago. Did they have any reason to think they'd really get it? Maybe on a train in this country would be a big step :) Seems like my dealers are in the blind so I found a corporate contact and on 10/30 he responded: "We have just released them at the plant. You should begin seeing them on dealer lots within the next couple weeks. " .

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I was doing work for my local Ram dealer and was told they will be receiving a diesel PM next week. I will be one of the first to test drive it when they get it I am told. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations otherwise I will order a well loaded gas 1500.
Do you mind sharing your expectations ahead of test drive?

I'd be interested in transmission shift smoothness, whether it's quiet enough, and if it has adequate acceleration. If it has instantaneous fuel economy a reading at steady-state cruise at highway speed would be great.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I hate to be the wet blanket, but this morning in rural Virginia i paid $2.59 for gasoline. and diesel was $3.78. Right now im near richmond, and diesel is $3.32. Thats 73 cents more than gas.

All im saying is dont buy the diesel because you think youll save money. But i too am eager to hear what its like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would be concerned about down time with that diesel.

Diesel simplicity, once a great asset , second only to fuel economy has been wiped out by the after treatment system equipment.

If they cannot cure a squeaking braking system, what will they do for a problem with the computer controlled diesel exhaust system on that little diesel.

1 - 20 of 819 Posts