Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a PM 3500 diesel on Jan 13, Throttle warning lite and ck engine came on in first 20 miles. Now in the shop awaiting a new EGR, which I read here, don't even exist. Will be going to dealer tomorrow for a C2J meeting. Can't have a vehicle I can't depend on. I also cannot keep driving during Regen, If I am pulling into a customer's drive when the light comes on. Love the truck, think they have a lot to do to make the diesel a usable option. Mainly have spare parts available BEFORE they release a truck for sale.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In 2010 the head man at Fiat said they had the diesels and the technology to put diesel powered vehicles on American highways. FCA was a year and a half late coming out with the diesel promaster, now they're finally hear and owners can't even make it home from the dealers lot without problems. Add to that, dealers aren't even equipped to service the diesel promaster and then diesel experts wonder why diesel powered vehicles don't sell well in the USA. I'm a van guy and a diesel guy and was very interested in the new promaster diesel rvs, I just lost interest.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Its not the Diesel's fault or the manufactures fault (my opinion by the way).
Its the Granola crunchers that push it to far and to fast.
Put it on a locomotive and then they would wonder where there high tech products are that
are produced overseas.
"Sorry sir 'the Locomotive on the freight train went into limp mode and waiting for a proper
trained tech to fix it"
People complaint about oil pipe lines but are wearing clothes that use oil to produce them at the
protest.
And when I say Granola crunchers sorry I offend you.
Every thing that you see, touch ,and eat are transported by Diesel. Even this laptop I am posting from.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with rabbitdiesel1, FCA has not done a very good job with the launch of the PM diesel. Did they not test beat these engines with U.S. spec fuel & emissions? What were they doing for 1.5 yrs during the delayed diesel engine roll out? Why do the dealers (a select group by FCA) not seem to have any knowledge or parts to remedy these warning light issues?
I know Adrian loves his PM diesel & perhaps most of them are O.K., but the diesel chatter on this forum is beginning to remind me of the Sprinter forum & it's nearly universal poor dealer service comments.

·
Registered
338 Posts
FCA better be careful. A lot of PM owners are former Sprinter owners because of the issues of poor dealer support/knowledge of how to remedy these pesky issues. Like I said before, there's nothing worse than loosing sleep wondering if buyers remorse is reality and not a dream.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am not a "granola cruncher" but I'm glad they are cleaning up diesel emissions! I hate being behind or around those dicks that think "rolling coal" is cool!!! Some a hole thinks he's batman leaving a huge cloud of black smoke...purposely. We have a few of them around here and I've taken plate #'s and called them in.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hope they will fix those problems as soon as possible.
The engine is proven and very robust as all the vehicle.
It's a shame...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope they will fix those problems as soon as possible.
The engine is proven and very robust as all the vehicle.
It's a shame...
You are correct, the 3.0 diesel sounds like a fabulous engine, maybe the best for mpg and power. I hope the problems are short lived.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am not a "granola cruncher" but I'm glad they are cleaning up diesel emissions! I hate being behind or around those dicks that think "rolling coal" is cool!!! Some a hole thinks he's batman leaving a huge cloud of black smoke...purposely. We have a few of them around here and I've taken plate #'s and called them in.
Yep.Bad apple making the Diesel look bad.
Anyone doing that kind of stuff is just self destruction.
And they think its funny. No common sense,No courtesy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem and the dealer tech told me that the throttle light, followed by the motor light is caused by being on the brake and throttle the same time while driving. So, no left foot braking allowed. It worked for me, it may work for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am totally bummed by my diesel's failure!! I know it is related to THe Komrads of Kalifornia's incessant interference with our country. If diesel engine cars were available in America, as they are ALL over the world, we wouldn't have to import ANY oil! PERIOD!! I waited 15 years to buy a new work truck, due to some health and resulting financial problems. I was soooo stoked the day I took delivery of my new PM 3500, 159 ext, high roof(1/13/15). It is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned. My local dealer has been fabulous, they simply can't repair a truck that FCA can't tell them what to do. And what they had them do, didn't fix it. I really hope the Resolution Dept will actually resolve this, so I can get back to the expansion of my business, which is why I bought the PM. Being on hold for 2 months is exasperating!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just my humble opinion here. It took a few years for MB to figure out the SCR system. I know a couple of expediters with '14 sprinters, close to 150k miles and no issues whatsoever. I believe that it will be at least a couple of years until FCA figures out the emissions on the promaster diesel. Hopefully my Sprinter will survive a couple of three years, 691k right now.

I too am glad for the emissions laws that we have here. Like I said before, I used to live in a country with no emissions controls whatsoever. Even though they had way way less cars and traffic than here, if you tried to walk outside in the city your eyes and throat would start burning. With the amount of cars and traffic we have here if there were no emission controls we would need to wear masks if we wanted to go outside. I am happy that I can walk outside and play with my 2 little children and breathe in fresh air, thanks to our emission controls.

·
Registered
604 Posts
...I believe that it will be at least a couple of years until FCA figures out the emissions on the promaster diesel. ...
This may be true? But why did they release a product that isn't ready? Why should we as customers suffer through their development and refinement process?

I bet nobody that bought a diesel was given a statement/disclaimer that said anything to the affect of "this is a "beta object" and still in development, please disregard any issues you may have while we make you suffer through our development process".

Folks bought a product that was supposed to be ready for sale and 100% functional, not something that FCA is still developing at our, the consumers, cost... :(

Whether it's sliding doors that are troublesome, leaking lights, radios that blank out, an Operators Manual that has dozens of mistakes and missing information (complete fuse charts), dealerships not educated and ready to service a vehicle they sell, finicky fuel filling, key FOBs that fail or any of the other problems people on this forum have had this shows that FCA has done a very poor job of producing and releasing their product.

I can luckily say I've had very few problems with mine but I will think long and hard before I purchase another FCA vehicle. I have never observed such a variety of potential issues after buying any other brand of new vehicle...

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
If you think every other car was ready for production you didn't buy an early Ford Pinto or Explorer like I did, nor any 80's carbureted or fuel injected car or truck.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you think every other car was ready for production you didn't buy an early Ford Pinto or Explorer like I did, nor any 80's carbureted or fuel injected car or truck.
Never said that... My point is that I, and I think most people that spend money on a new vehicle or any product for that matter, expect the vehicle or product to function properly. If it doesn't then that will certainly weigh the decision when buying another one.

If it doesn't then we are just letting manufacturers sell crap and letting them know we're satisfied with doing so...

I had to take a Customer Service Course once, taught by a trainer who worked for one of the major auto manufacturers. He had some pretty good info about customer satisfaction/loyalty or the lack of it. They believed it costs more to bring back a customer after they have had a bad experience and lost they're loyalty than it does to treat them right and keep them coming back.

Is FCA doing enough to maintain brand loyalty with the PM? I guess we'll see in a few years? :|

I've drawn this away from the threads subject, so here I will leave it... :(

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
As far as the Diesel Woes go I feel like you do but it is very hard to engineer a solution and have an entire vehicle foolproof. I once heard a quote "It's hard to make it foolproof because fools are so ingenious" We just got a report from a poster that two foot driving will set a warning light on the diesel. Just someone doing something the engineering dept. thought shouldn't happen. So we complain about the light when we do a "foolish" thing. Many of the issues take time to find the failures like the radiator failures. You are spot on about how FCA should react to keep loyalty. Forums are by their nature pessimistic places where the problems are heard much more than the satisfactions. Surveys often suffer the same problem as I will return mine if I am unhappy but if things are good -Meh.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The issues with the van are annoying, but not a deal killer for me. What is really bad is that they can't seem to fix them and it doesn't seem like a priority to them to figure out. The parts availability is also unacceptable. Then when they do decide to give you a replacement, it takes over a month for the paperwork.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
This may be true? But why did they release a product that isn't ready? Why should we as customers suffer through their development and refinement process?

I bet nobody that bought a diesel was given a statement/disclaimer that said anything to the affect of "this is a "beta object" and still in development, please disregard any issues you may have while we make you suffer through our development process".

Folks bought a product that was supposed to be ready for sale and 100% functional, not something that FCA is still developing at our, the consumers, cost... :(

Whether it's sliding doors that are troublesome, leaking lights, radios that blank out, an Operators Manual that has dozens of mistakes and missing information (complete fuse charts), dealerships not educated and ready to service a vehicle they sell, finicky fuel filling, key FOBs that fail or any of the other problems people on this forum have had this shows that FCA has done a very poor job of producing and releasing their product.

I can luckily say I've had very few problems with mine but I will think long and hard before I purchase another FCA vehicle. I have never observed such a variety of potential issues after buying any other brand of new vehicle...

The issues are with the emission controls on the diesels. The Sprinter had the same issues when they had to comply with the new emissions standards. 2010 models were first to get Bluetec and there were problems like what our diesel is experiencing. MB is only just now getting it right although there are still problems with new ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts