Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most forums you hear more about the bad than good. After reviewing all of the AMT transmission complaints I walk away thinking the clutch actuators will absolutely fail by the 100k mark. Anyone out there with a high mileage diesel that doesn’t have transmission issues. I only have 21k on mine but have been spared of any mechanical issues ( 2015). My rig is for personal use and I “feather” the clutch by letting off the gas when it shifts. I’m not sure if you could actually abuse the clutch. Maybe with a full load and burying the gas pedal to the floor? I bought the diesel for longevity and torque. It’d be a shame if the transmission forced me to prematurely sell it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
115K, zero issues with the Trans or clutch. Good mix of highway/city traffic and I occasionally tow a 3500lbs trailer of Dirtbikes.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
61K, no issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
bulletproofing the AMT?

I was just dropping in to start a new thread asking if the AMT tranny can be bulletproofed, and if so, how, when I saw your thread.

I too am starting to believe that the AMT is problematic for longevity (the tranny going bad seems to be THE reoccuring theme in the diesel subforum and/or diesel owners). One of the great things about a traditional manual clutch is that if and when it needed to be replaced, it was generally inexpensive to do so, much more so than an automatic. That feature is now gone with the AMT. When mine was replaced under warranty at 20k miles, I asked the service manager how much it would have cost me out-of-pocket. His reply? "About $15,000." Perhaps his reply was over the top, but even half that - that some people HAVE paid out-of-pocket, would SEVERELY dampen my spirits.

When are such other big components like engines just entirely replaced as they are with the AMT? Why not just replace the actuators (that's what failed on mine - and I got a brand new tranny)? But more importantly, is there anything that can be done prior to - to avoid that scenario in the first place?

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Just drive it. I know we have had a few transmission issues but early failures are handled by the dealer and there is no way anyone should spend that kind of money when it eventually does fail. The actuators have been replaced on vans without replacing the transmission so it seems it is done. Reports of lots of failures by first hand owners here are not happening. The reports we are hearing are by posters who have had lots of other issues so there may be reasons we are not hearing about. They are generally mad and trashing the van as a whole. It is not a bad van but they have had a bad experience and I understand but they occupy a lot of forum space and count as one van not the whole fleet even if they say it is. They are hurting due to their bad experience. Second or third hand reports are like your mechanics figure. I just take them with a grain of salt.
At stop lights I put the van in neutral. It is a manual, I do that with all my clutched vehicles even my motorcycles. I also do that with all the automatics I have ever had. Does it help? Who knows but my 235K 4runner is on its first unopened transmission, my 165K Suzuki Grand Vitara same and my former F150 225K ditto.
Use manual when it is called for. Slow up and down mountain and desert roads, inching in traffic etc. It’s brain gets confused when in these situations and you can help it.
Don’t over torque it unnecessarily as this M40 transmission was mated to an engine that had to be detuned some to get the torque within its capabilities. If you wind up the turbo and force a bunch of high torque shifts you may shorten its life. Do I know you will? No, just me being me.
Remember a few owners with bad experiences can dedicate lots of time to getting even with a company they feel has wronged them by telling their story over and over. I would too, but the attention can make the problem seem way out of proportion to reality.
Relax, enjoy your diesel van. Smile when the robot shifts it for you. Let the miles add up and think pure thoughts (or unpure ones- it won’t make any difference.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too would like to see this thread grow with diesel owners posting their mileage and transmission experiences.

I think we tend to be enthusiasts on this site; most of the commercial owners with a vested interest have little time or inclination to discuss the particulars of their daily grind in their free time on this site. In that manner, it may be worth taking our own perspectives with a grain of salt :)

·
Super Moderator
6,636 Posts
xNatex, yes your video is way off topic and thus has nothing to do with Promasters or transmissions and that is why I deleted your uTube link. The Promaster forum exists to discuss Promasters and their uses, anything else belongs in another forum more suitable to its content.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One more thing. For those of you so kind as to post your mileage and experiences with your diesel transmission, please also include the out-of-pocket expense you have incurred to date with it. It's one thing if the transmission is potentially problematic, it's another to know what kind of costs that's likely to incur.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
.....cut..... It’d be a shame if the transmission forced me to prematurely sell it.
It’s too bad there are not more vehicles with the same transmission in North America, because as these vehicles get older, sourcing transmission parts may get tough unless imported from Europe.

I’m curious if you found information during your research on whether it’s practical or possible to convert the AMT to a true manual with a clutch pedal.

I don’t have an opinion on PM transmission other than it’s not for me — I like more control and simpler stuff. I’ve driven rented Ford cars with dual-clutch automated transmissions, and while I really like the fast shifts, I don’t care at all for the rough launch. It’s very jerky. I’m curious if PM AMT launches smoothly from a full stop?

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Mine is super smooth on launch or in creep ahead situations, you must touch the brake to get it to disengage but that is natural. Forcing it to slip will get you a warning after a bit.

Now back to the OP’s thread. Post your AMT history, costs etc.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm on my second diesel.

First one was a 2015. I put 45k miles on it and in that time it had constant (once a week) CEL's with clutch based codes.

Dealer bled clutch thrice with no change, then over the span of a year replaced clutch, trans, actuators, flywheel, pressure plate, all associated wiring, harnesses, sensors, etc... Well over 20k in repairs, maybe even 30k with labor.

None of it changed anything.

FCA repurchased that van for sticker price -- $10k more than I'd paid for it -- and didn't charge me for miles. A great deal, right? Well, when you factor in all the downtime that the dealer had my van, all the stress related to wondering whether (or when) the other shoe would finally drop, plus time elapsed when I had parts sitting here to complete my build but couldn't because the van was at the dealer, and finally the fact that I had to rip my entire build out and start over, you might guess that I still feel a good chunk of pissed about the whole ordeal. I can make more money but I can't make more time, and both dealer and FCA wasted copious quantities of mine.

Figuring that everyone gets a lemon once in their life, and trusting a few vocal individuals on this forum, I found, bought, flew to pick up, and drove home another 2015 diesel with 1200 miles on it. Spent a month of cold nights after work last January moving my build into it. 17k on the clock now, a few CEL's but as yet no real problems.

I want to trust it. I have both a foul taste in my mouth from FCA and lingering doubt about my dealer's competence and judgment that prevent me from doing so completely.

And, because I bought it with more than 400 miles on it, Lemon Laws do not apply. Didn't realize that when I signed the papers -- probably would have thought twice had I known.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Oh no. If I am one of those individuals I now feel responsible. It is a burden.
I am amazed you came out $10K up on the van. I’d still distrust FCA but that is a good bit of coin and much better than any insurance claim I ever made where they make you "whole" but not a penny more. I have gotten the P2872 code like many others here a few times/year but no symptoms of clutch problems in 66K miles. I have come to accept them as a nuisance but not significant. I try to discover a pattern to their appearance. Cold mornings, first start following a pause for the glow plugs to heat seems to be the pattern but since it only happens a few times a year it is hard to decide. Within a couple of restarts the MIL goes away. Dealer is aware but has no real answer. My conversion took me two months of 6hours/day and 5+- days per week so perhaps 240 hours. That’s $42 per hour if I got the 10 grand. To put it into another van and insulate I’d have less than 25 hours max. Not great pay but I have worked for less.
If you had a gasser you well might have had 100K before a transmission failure. It’s a long time for an RV but eventually something will fail and FCA is not going to give you anything. It has only 60K of warranty and your diesel has 100K.
Life is a crapshoot. We all need to accept what we cannot change and use the van for something priceless. No one can take the memories the Ms. and have made during the 66K we have used ours. Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh no. If I am one of those individuals I now feel responsible. It is a burden.
I am amazed you came out $10K up on the van. I’d still distrust FCA but that is a good bit of coin and much better than any insurance claim I ever made where they make you "whole" but not a penny more. I have gotten the P2872 code like many others here a few times/year but no symptoms of clutch problems in 66K miles. I have come to accept them as a nuisance but not significant. I try to discover a pattern to their appearance. Cold mornings, first start following a pause for the glow plugs to heat seems to be the pattern but since it only happens a few times a year it is hard to decide. Within a couple of restarts the MIL goes away. Dealer is aware but has no real answer. My conversion took me two months of 6hours/day and 5+- days per week so perhaps 240 hours. That’s $42 per hour if I got the 10 grand. To put it into another van and insulate I’d have less than 25 hours max. Not great pay but I have worked for less.
If you had a gasser you well might have had 100K before a transmission failure. It’s a long time for an RV but eventually something will fail and FCA is not going to give you anything. It has only 60K of warranty and your diesel has 100K.
Life is a crapshoot. We all need to accept what we cannot change and use the van for something priceless. No one can take the memories the Ms. and have made during the 66K we have used ours. Good luck.

I did not come out $10k "up" on the van.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
Yes I guess "FCA repurchased that van for sticker price -- $10k more than I'd paid for it -- and didn't charge me for miles” led me to believe they paid you 10K more than you paid? I get confused a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2015 promaster 165k at the dealer for almost a month now for clutch to be replaced parts arrive this week and and the dealer was installing them today. Cost for parts and labour 5000.00. Dealer calls this evening and tells me they cant bleed the the clutch due to the control module failing price of control module 4500.00 and another 2 weeks before it arrives as it is another back ordered part.this is the most expensive repair to date last repair was nox sensor 1800.00 for just the sensor. Not a happy camper right now .

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
Doodle
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing