Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a collection of whatever reviews or commentary are out there for the diesel, and keep them in one spot. Especially drive tests that focus on how it drives, and how its different from the gasser.

If you know of, or find, a review, post about it here, maybe I'll curate this and keep a collection of the links in this first post.

One review that I've watched many times over isn't for the Promaster, but for the Fiat Ducato. But it has some of the best commentary on how the diesel drives; both a written article and a good video:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/07/review-2013-fiat-ducato-cargo-van-video/

James over at The Fit RV drove a new diesel Promaster a short bit ago, here's a video and some commentary of his experience:

http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/dodge-ram-promaster-diesel-driving-impressions/

·
Registered
51 Posts
the problem with these reviews, the first time you drive the diesel you may not like/understand the transmission. After owning one for a month I LOVE the transmission. Long term reviews would give people a better understanding of how good it is

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but at least these reviews will give you an idea of what to expect when first driving the diesel. My girl drove the diesel and pronounced it just fine, but admitted that if she hadn't seen either video before, she would have been concerned, and probably not liked it at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
3 month non - gasser owner

True enough you will probably have to drive one to understand how that trans works, the manual mode is easy to drive and does not require downshifting,
you either like it or not. On a practical note the manual shift points are intuitive and hold the torque in windy hilly situations. My brother has a gasser and he said in those conditions the other trans will hunt for a gear, not good for driver or trans. I am a Fan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do y'all drive the manual Diesel in drive(let computer shift) or do y'all drive in manual and shift yourselfs? I've had the Diesel Promaster now for 1000 miles and drive it in manual, but wonder if long term it would be better to keep it in drive and let CPU do the shifting. I prefer to do the shifting because I do a smoother job than the CPU does

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm about 50/50. When in auto I let up on the pedal to encourage a shift when it's time. I don't like all the downshifting and associated clutch wear when coming to a stop, so sometimes I'll put it in neutral when coming to a stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts