Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly considering a used 2014 diesel 2500 with 28k miles on it.
Carfax report shows the following services done recently:

Body computer/module reprogrammed

after five months:
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed

then same thing again a month later.

Are these reprogrammings a relatively common thing for new models like the PM, or a sign of a potentially problematic individual vehicle?

The services were done at a Ram dealer, but the van is now being sold at a Toyota lot. Have all you diesel owners gone through at least one reprogramming?

Not only am I new to diesels, I'm new to new cars! :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
The body computer module you noticed updated Chrysler U-connect systems to protect them from 3rd party intrusions... http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ even allowed owners to reflash their own systems; Engine systems etc. updates have not been allowed out to the general public. My van qualified for Service Bulletin ID: 08-074-15 Release Date: 2015-06-12...

Reprogramming... usually a transparent and inert event. The engineers & software people keep discovering tiny incremental changes claimed to improve product reliability, life expectancy and/or addresses safety or environmental concerns so when these in-service vehicles are available their software frameworks are updated. Available meaning in a service bay or on a dealers lot for some other service, long enough for a technician to overwrite the prior software. There are enough timing events, pressures and voltage signals involved it's almost inevitable.

I'd love to say it is always forward progress when they update their modules & I hate to harsh anyones buzz... I'm feeling since my 2014's 3.0l diesel had an 'update (April 19 2016) engine powertrain flash' the prior tight shifting and easy starting European tune seems to have been replaced with a sloppier & tired tune that reflects a more 'Detroit Iron' tune... I wonder if anyone else has suspected something similar?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
No Zoomyn, my recent update 5/20 seems to have made no difference in shifting or starting.

For OffRhode, my van has been in for service two times and got a reprogram once but the other time it was in for a tire issue emergency. It was updated when prepped on 7/2015. I'd say a 2014 would have needed several updates as the 2014 software allowed some vans to report issues with the EGR, DEF, and Turbo boost that may have been spurious. Vans get the reporgram when in for service. It probably is normal. I'd take it to a RAM dealer and get the VIN's service history before the sale was final JIC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, will have it in mind for the next prospect...this one already got snagged by someone else. :crying:

·
Registered
756 Posts
so... perhaps my Nov 2014 production PM update morphed it into a 2015... Ewww... heheh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts