Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trip to the southwest with some driving above an altitude of 7000 feet. In general the van performed well due to the turbocharging, however it seemed to take much longer for the turbo to spool up when starting from a stop. In some cases the van would shift into second gear prematurely resulting in very slow acceleration. If I was very careful in how I applied the throttle I could get the boost up quicker and improve the acceleration. The start-up performance returned to normal at lower altitudes. Anyone have comments on this characteristic?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hmmm... When dealing with performance issues of an engine that arise at altitude, both diesel and turbo are the two best ways to minimize the effects. I would have thought that the turbo diesel Promaster wouldn't care about altitude. Seems strange to me. I'l be curious to see if others have noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,833 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with the Pinedale, WY, dealer last August. He said 7,000 ft is the magic elevation for problems with the diesel and that they were working with factory reps to try to find a solution.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We were up at up to 9000 feet today here in NM, I was thinking about your post and I "think" i noticed it taking longer to spin up. I say "think" because it might have been me not downshifting fast enough. All and all I was impressed at the way it handled the curves and altitude.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Drove up to 12,000 feet while on vacation in Utah at Bryan Head, no issues at all.

Honestly I was suprised, a gas motor would have had a noticeable decrease in power.

Start, stop, idle, no issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should note that the problems I described were prior to the PCM firmware update done in Provo. Perhaps the latest control software improved the driveability at altitude.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2014 159" High Roof Diesel with updated PCM firmware. I have only had it for a few weeks but have been putting it through its paces here in the Eastern Sierra. I have about 1200 miles of driving through the mountains at 4500-10500 feet without any issue whatsoever. At least 600 of those miles have been above 7000'. It has been up and down 395, Tioga Pass, and a bunch of the trailheads without a hiccup.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I just had my van in for the ignition carrier recall. They did the latest computer update and the service manager showed me the list of codes and conditions it was prepared to "fix" There must have been 40! I thought I would get that paperwork when I got my other info but when I got home I did not have it. I will not let that happen again. I asked if it addressed recuring TPMS lights and he scanned it and said no. Altitude? I should have asked for a copy! AAAGGRR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've driven with a 2200 lb load at 11,000 ft and needed to hold the accelerator to the floor to maintain highway speed. I didn't notice any turbo spooling issues. Firmware update has been done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts