Ram Promaster Forum banner

Diesel Oil Change

40K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  KilWerBzz 
#1 · (Edited)
At 7180 miles I decided to get the break in contaminants out of my engine and filter. I purchased 9.5 qts. (12 really) of Kendall GT1 Full Synth Euro oil that meets the Chrysler 11106 standard as stated on their website and a Mann W9009 filter (2 really), both off the internet for a total of about $80 with shipping for the oil change ($105 really but I have an extra filter and 2.5 quarts of oil left)
The filter is about the easiest to get at on any vehicle I have ever owned. It hangs down in front of the engine and with a large filter wrench came right off. It was an Iveco 2995655. The Mann replacement was identical, weighed 1 lb. 3 oz!
The Oil drain plug was another matter. It is a large recessed hex nut that I believe is 12mm. I made one from an old 1/2 inch hex wrench from some farm equipment I had handy. In our little town no one had a 12 mm hex wrench and 7/16 was a bit loose and I didn't dare to strip it. A T60 Torx fits real well but is really not the right tool. I removed the filler cap and drained out 8+ quarts of black, black oil, replaced the plug with my "new-old" wrench and added 9 quarts of the Kendall. I'll top up the last bit on a drive in the next few days. Easy Peasy. 15 min. to change the oil, 1 hour looking for the correct wrench, 15 minutes to grind and file down the old wrench for a perfect fit. Its in my toolkit under the passenger seat now.
I then turned on the key, cycled the gas pedal 3 times and checked the miles left to the next Oil change on the EVIC and had 18,345. Done.
My plan is to now change it at 20 thousand miles about 13,000 miles from now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rd, thanks for the update! I too have always changed my own oil but since I worked out a deal with FCA, part of the resolve was 3 years up to 3 oil changes a year with synthetic oil. And believe me, I will use three oil changes a year even at 18000 miles per! When its over I know what to look forward too! Cheers

#4 · (Edited)
For the Diesel!
The oil is specified to be 5W-30 not 15 anything so I bought what Chrysler specified.

The spec page for the oil is:
http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/brands-products/Single.aspx?pid=235
You can read where is exceeds the Chrysler MS-11106 standard. The oil you pointed to does NOT meet the spec. for the diesel. All the Euro oils that do meet the spec. are very expensive and I believe I found a good price, but if you do better on a specified oil post the source please. I like Kendall anyway.

The filter: http://www.diesel-filters.com/produ...l-filter-promaster-diesel-oem-68095335aa.html

Best with your oil changes.

#5 ·
Cools thanks for the links, those prices look reasonable. I just bought the oil and filter.

Looks like I was looking at the non-synthetic recommendation for oil weight. The Promaster Diesel Manual says 5W-40 for synthetic but 5W-30 makes sense for the climate I live in.

I found this in the 2014-RAM_15_25_35_45_55_Diesel-SU-6th.pdf that I downloaded from the Ram website. Page 288 says

Failure to use SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil in ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C) could result in severe engine damage.

I assume that refers to the 5W in cool weather.

#6 ·
Thanks for those links, I just bought the oil and filter.

I just checked again and the 15W-40 was referring to non-synthetic oil.

The manual (2014-RAM_15_25_35_45_55_Diesel-SU-6th.pdf, download from Ram web site) says 5W-40 but for climate I live in, 5W-30 is perfect.

On page 288 it says
Failure to use SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil in ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C) could result in severe engine damage.

#8 · (Edited)
Darren Kraker, NO! The manual says:

"Engine Oil
Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil."

That is in the 2015 Promaster Diesel manual 5W-30, MS-11106! The last thing any of us need is a warrantee denial because we put the wrong oil in our diesel! Better take that back and buy the correct stuff! I did the research.

#9 · (Edited)
"Engine Oil
Only use ACEA C3 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil."
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approval:
Chrysler MS-11106

Just checked today at manual

#11 ·
I just got a coupon from my dealer for an oil change for my diesel. $154.95 plus a possible $10 charge for disposal! Now see the first post in this thread and you will see I can do it in 15 minutes with the tool to remove the plug and a filter wrench, 9 quarts of 5w-30 euro synth oil and a Mann filter for $75 as it takes 1/2 qt. less oil to fill than I stated (or the quarts are full to the top being about a liter?) I am supposed to get one free change from the dealer and will use that, then I am doing it myself and saving the $80. I could buy a new Leatherman Wave at each oil change for the difference!

#12 ·
Thanks RD for initiating this thread , and all the research you did to find a compliant oil. After having the dealer do my first change I understand where the term ' stealership ' came from . Even though 25% less than a MB oil change it was still way to much due to the extreme price of the oil and filter . I have sourced the Kendal GT 1 Euro 5W 30 ,and will now do the same for a filter. Unfortunately, these items are not as accessible here as south of the border.

#14 ·
I do my own oil changes, I buy the oil at 10 bucks a quart from the dealer and get my baldwin oil ($21) and baldwin air filter ($19) from ww grainger. I change the air filter while doing an oil change. The light comes on at 19k miles everytime. I had no issues with the drainplug. I guess I just had the right tools in my box.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ
#15 ·
I'm glad to hear someone doing the oil/filter changes at 19K miles. I am having a hard time convincing myself to go so far after having changed my gasser's oil every 5K for 40 years now. Back then many said 1K, a holdover from the days of no oil filters, to 3K which many shops have stuck too. I saw the vehicle makers were saying 5K and went to that. Now most gassers are at 10K or more! 18,500 miles is a ling way though. Perhaps 15K? I did my first at 7K to get rid of any engine break in chaff. Next at 20K then I'll see how you are doing! Thanks!

#17 ·
You guys ever sent sample of oil off and had an analysis done? Had bypass filter on my cummins and had 80k on the amsoil and only do filter replacements and top it off.

#18 ·
wrench

The Oil drain plug was another matter. It is a large recessed hex nut that I believe is 12mm. I made one from an old 1/2 inch hex wrench from some farm equipment I had handy. In our little town no one had a 12 mm hex wrench and 7/16 was a bit loose and I didn't dare to strip it.
Just in case anyone is shopping for a wrench...

I'm guessing the drain plug is actually 13mm and you tried a 9/16" that was loose.
7/16" = 11.11mm (smaller than 12mm)
12mm = .472"
13mm = .511" so it makes sense if you ground a 1/2" wrench a bit to make it fit
9/16" = 14.28mm

Not trying to be a jerk, just want folks to have the right tool for the job.

#19 ·
Just got my 2 cases of Kendall in today. I can get just under 3 oil changes out of those 2 cases. I am looking at just a smidgen over 50 bucks in oil per change, so that plus the cost of filter isn't bad. I too have a hard time going the recommended mileage.

I know that synthetic oil has changed the game, because it doesn't break down from heat like conventional oil. Also, filtering technology has come a long way, so oil stays cleaner. But for me, it is cheap insurance, at less than 60 bucks per change. I plan to change every 10,000. I am getting rid of the break-in oil this weekend at 6,000.

-t

#20 ·
This makes me laugh, I thought about buying 3 cases because 9 divides into 36 evenly for 4 changes, and getting 4 filters too. That would get me to about 100,000 miles which is probably 4-5 years. I didn't as some oil changes may need to be done in AZ and some in NH. Lucky me..... I called Ram Customer Satisfaction about the free oil change the sales people promised but I never got confirmed and the nice lady said corporate did not do that it must be my dealer, BUT for my concern she would give me two free changes on my VIN! Perhaps I gotta get a lottery ticket this week?

#21 ·
Dooman, I have a bypass filter on our f250. I got oil analysis a few times at speedco. I would change engine filter at 15k miles and oil and both filters at 30k miles. Oil was still usable at those miles but had degraded a little. I used the truck about 140k miles a year. I used this routine as it fit my schedule best. I have thought of putting the bypass filter on our Promaster, but can't seem to stay out of it long enough to make up a bypass system. I have over 90k on it since July. I have done 4 soon to be 5 oil changes. Since the air filter is cheap from grainger, I change it while doing oil and oil filter.

#23 ·
They were partly right. ANY oil that meets the Chrysler spec MS-11106, and yes Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 Full Syn does and is mentioned in the owners manual but so does Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Synthetic, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Euro Motor Oil and perhaps others. See my first thread to buy 4 or 5 filters for that 57.10

BTW there are synthetic Pennzoil 5w30 oils that DO NOT meet the spec so be careful! Read back a page in this thread. If the oil was not about $10 a quart you got the WRONG oil!

#24 ·
00.00 Cost me an OIL Change !!! at 5,000 miles.

FOLKS Dodge offering Free 4 oil changes at the First 2 years of your owner-ship.

So, first I went to a service center, "service-tech-advisor" wanted to charge me 95$ +TAX.
I called my sails-dealer. All They did = put me into there data-base computer. And now I do have left-over of 3=FREE oil changes till May of 2017.
I bought my PM in May-2015

#28 ·
That is a good price. They quoted me north of 2 bills for an oil change. At 95 I might consider it if I had time to kill. My biggest issue is that I DON'T have time to kill. 15 minute delay and I am on my way doing it myself. I don't have a half a day to kill reading the paper and listening to the news channel in the TV room. If my first trip to the dealer was any indication, I can see problems in my future.

#25 ·
Yes, it was the synthetic Pennzoil and was $9.00 per quart. The dealer said it was specially formulated for the diesel Promaster. It was the only oil they use for it. I must say the more I drive the diesel the more I like it. I have a red van with all the options and I have more people stop to ask me about it. The Italians know design and it is the best looking van on the road. I think I should put a Maserati badge on it.

#27 ·
I think the facelift Ducato is a bit nicer to most folks eye but I am fine with mine. BTW I rebadged it to Fiat Ducato and get lots of complements and inquiries about it and the conversion. When I tell them it is diesel and gets 26-27 mpg most people are blown away. Two neighbors tried to call a Fiat dealer to get more information and they were told Fiat didn't sell Vans only little cars! LOL $9.00 a quart is the lowest price I have seen or heard of for the spec oil. Good for you.

uNik and others, I keep hearing about 4 oil changes but Ram Customer Care was clear to me- NO FREE OIL CHANGES from corporate, what did I not say or say wrong? (for being concerned they gave me two???)

MJAB Michele Robinsoni? Same guy?

#29 ·
Took BoB to the dealer yesterday for his first oil change at just over 11k miles. I'd probably let it go farther, but in a few weeks I'm heading out on a 7k mile round trip of the country, didn't want to deal with an oil change on the road. Full cost was $225. Yeah, a bit pricey, but I'm ok with it. I think.

I don't have a decently flat place to park that's also good to work on the van, though I could do it across town at my parent's and their perfectly flat driveway. I don't want to deal with 2 1/2 gallons of used oil; have done that enough in the past, never did manage it cleanly.

My previous car, a '99 Audi A4, was a major pain to do oil changes, so for years I've had my local trusted wrench do it every 5k with Mahle filters and Motul synthetic, good stuff. That was $90 every time, so I kinda justify that twice that cost at more than twice the mileage... not so bad. That, and my daily driver is now a Chevy Volt; oil changes will probably be every two years, if that, so saving $$ there (nevermind that I've also driven 700 miles on the current tank of gas, only using 0.2 gallons so far, went from $80-100/mo on gas to $15-20/mo extra electricity costs, I love my EV with a ReX)

Oh, and I do have an oil sample that I pulled at 10k miles, still need to send that in for analysis.

#32 ·
Most if not all fast oil change places will change your oil and filter with the oil and filter you bring in and do it faster for less.
Took BoB to the dealer yesterday for his first oil change at just over 11k miles. I'd probably let it go farther, but in a few weeks I'm heading out on a 7k mile round trip of the country, didn't want to deal with an oil change on the road. Full cost was $225. Yeah, a bit pricey, but I'm ok with it. I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.