Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you idle your rigs before shutting down your diesel? Also how long will you let your van idle in neutral? For warming up in cold weather or just sitting in the van when cold outside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do any of you idle your rigs before shutting down your diesel? Also how long will you let your van idle in neutral? For warming up in cold weather or just sitting in the van when cold outside.
I have had my sprinter for 10 years and 750k miles and I don't idle before or after the trip. I start it up, then proceed driving it lightly until it is fully warm. Now when I am about to park, I just take it easy for the last couple of miles. Plenty time for the turbo to cool down. Then I just park and shut down. Easy as pie.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I use my PM diesel like FlyingVan does his sprinter. Easy as it warms up, use it as it was intended, and then either light-near idle for the last mile or so, OR give it a few minutes to cool at idle when I stop. My experience is for 8,500 miles so time will tell.
I put the manual transmission into N for prolonged lights or any idling as the manual directs. I do not idle to warm up or to just get heat or AC but I think we have members who do with no ill effects. I have an Espar heater for heat if cold and I have yet to be in any heat that my Fantastic Vent and windows won't handle. It is insulated too so that helps.
I did break it in according to the manual, strictly! 5,000 miles for first oil change, now every 15,000 when I get there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The last few weeks I've had a chance to drive BoB in the cold. Ok, its only 'cool' to some of ya. Its been down in the low 20s for awhile. Starting up it definitely takes longer for the glow plug light to go out, but I have not had any problems starting. It does seem a bit noisier on startup when its cold. A couple times I let it idle while I was outside clearing windows, but no more. The electric auxiliary heat works quite well (turn the temp control all the way to full hot, should get warm air well before the engine is warmed up). As for letting it warm up before driving... nah. Maybe 10-15 seconds while I get the seat belt on and get settled. Then I drive it easy for the first few minutes, at least until the temp gauge is moving up.

I don't purposely let it idle along. I'd rather shut if off if I'm waiting for something. I think the longest was about 15 minutes when I was out of the van taking some pictures, and that's only because I got distracted, or I would have turned it off.

As for idling at shutdown, I generally follow the guidelines in the manual, and some common sense. My van only has less than 1000# payload, so I figure it closer to empty than max. So... driving around town, no idling on shut down. Well, maybe a little bit as I pull into a parking space and get ready to go, but not often.

Where I do make a point of letting it idle for cool down is coming off the highway from speed. Something like pulling straight into a rest stop; or an off-ramp right into a gas station or food stop. I will let it idle for 1 to 3 minutes, depending on how I feel, but usually its closer to a 2+ minute idle. I make a note of the time when I stop, and then add 3 minutes. Being digital, I may get just over two minutes, or nearly three. Granted, there are times it only gets a minute of idle after highway speeds, but even then its something. I do not want to shut it down immediately.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I warm it up before getting in it, been cold here in CT and I work outside all day so a nice warm van to get in is a must for me. Other than that I start and stop like any other vehicle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It never even dawned on me to let it idle before a shut down, so I don't do that at all. I do let it warm up for 10 minutes or so if it's cold (under 40 for me). I also didn't know we had supplemental electric heat, coming from larger diesels I just remarked the other morning how nice it is that these little diesel motors warm up so quick- good to know. I often idle for 30 minutes or more at a time during the day- mainly to keep the AC or heat on. I've been known to take a quick snooze in the van with the van running. This forum is the first I have read/heard of folks not liking to idle their diesels, coming up in the construction industry in Florida many guys never shut their trucks off during the day at all, they let them run for hours while checking a job or doing an estimate. Especially the guys who's company pays the fuel. I traded my duramax for the promaster and the guy at the dealership told me I had 2x the hours on my engine than reflected in miles- it was time to trade it in. It's possible the truck idled more than it was driven?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
New day with emission equipment that likes to run not idle, the trade off being clear skies and no black smoke. Don't stress, shut it off and save the world a bit'O fuel too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
After a couple of near-misses from disaster and some bad driving habits learned from half a million miles driving pickups and passenger cars I used the idle cool down times to review what I need to do mo'better at on next start as well as sorting/organizing my junk/receipts/trash or checking cellphone emails and doing record keeping. Imagining a turbocharger bearing crusted up with carbon and going wobbly a hundred miles out of warranty makes it easier...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts