Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3L diesel owners manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 15K miles. There's plenty of info out there for the pick ups but not the Promaster. Where is the filter and is it the same procedure as for the pick up when I find it?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
My diesel suplement manual for 2015 says 30,000 miles.

Let me know how it goes as in 6-8 months I will do mine. Thanks

Reactions: Anandamayi

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,437 Posts
The Diesel fuel filter is buried in back of the drivers headlight. I have not changed mine but it looks like you will need to disconnect the whole housing and change the filter on the bench. The bleed valve I could just reach but from the top I don't think you could open it.You will need a torx or hex maybe from underneath the van. As I said I have not done it as of now just my observation.
The 3L diesel owners manual recommends replacing the fuel filter every 15K miles. There's plenty of info out there for the pick ups but not the Promaster. Where is the filter and is it the same procedure as for the pick up when I find it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My error. 30K miles is much better. About 2-3 months for me. Got it changed at 90K for the first time and there wasn't a problem.
Thanks for locating it. I was searching underneath and wouldn't have looked there. Been having the dealer do everything but it's getting expensive. I'll start figuring out how to do it and post.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I changed mine at 80k miles for the 1st time, I removed the driver side headlight to gain more access. I removed the whole filter housing and cleaned it and replaced the filter element on my workbench. It was fairly easy, mine was not dirty or nasty; I will not change it again for another 80k miles unless there is a problem. There was no drain valve on mine. When I get more time I want to add a Baldwin fuel filter https://www.zoro.com/baldwin-filter...gclid=CJjJg__B7s4CFQQcaQod_YcK8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks. I had mine changed the first time at 60K by the dealer and it was not bad. I’ll use the video to do mine at about 100K.

·
Banned
413 Posts

How to vid for changing fuel filter on ecodiesel

Thanks for sharing this. Getting the connections off the filter housing was the hardest part -- they were stubborn and the thin plastic doesn't give you much to work with.

Once everything was back in place I opened the small bleed screw (12mm open end) 1/4 turn, then turned the key one click until fuel came out the bleed screw. It was almost immediate.

Turned off the key, closed the bleed screw, then put the headlight and plastic shrouds back in. Maybe 60 minutes all told.

This would be a good time to swap your headlamp bulbs since you already have the drivers side enclosure out.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts