Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday my DPF warning light came on and the truck went into LHM. I took/limped to the dealer who with Chrysler engineers is trying to figure out the problem. Dealer has been great so far and although I have no answers as of Friday PM I am driving a PM loaner. For those that are driving a Diesel that might go into limp home mode I learned that in order to get the most speed out the PM one must lift ones foot off the accelerator when the peak RPM is reached in order to shift into the next gear or go into manual- lift foot and shift up. I Now know that the limp home mode is a rev limiter not a speed limiter. truly the school of showing is better than telling.:| oh it has 858 miles

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear of this problem, this is the trend in Modern Diesel Engines, they have taken a very efficient simple engine and turned it into a sensor, auxilary equipment loaded piece of over engineering. Throw in untrained and poorly trained service personnel and a receipe for disaster.
We went thru this in the heavy truck industry, average down time 3 days per month. Its a real mess.

Mix in a load of soot via the EGR valve to help shorten your engines life just to add to the problems with the DPF gear...

I would not buy a modern diesel equipped vehicle of any make.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having this problem that really sucks.

Prior to the Limp mode did you get a warning " Regeneration" ?

During the 800 miles what type of driving and amount of idling?

As a diesel owner I am curious. According to owners manual a warning should have been displayed on center info display to inform you when DPF is 80% full and during this time the vehicle should be driven at highway speed for 20 minutes. I have 2,300 miles on my diesel and never seen a regen yet !

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I would not buy a modern diesel equipped vehicle of any make.

Odd how much my friends with VW TDI's love 'em and seem to have few on no diesel problems. Remember the first years of gasoline emissions? Almost impossible to keep going. I am hoping the diesel changeover goes better. BTW at that time I felt the same about gas engines as you do about diesels now and looked for a diesel. Now gasoline engines are longer lived, more powerful for their size and cleaner than ever, and they are incredibly trouble free. Diesels will be there soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have a Dodge 3500 with the Cummins 5.9 pre emisson.. bullet proof so far

Two tier 1 heavy trucks with Detroit and Cat C13 with compound turbos, the Detroit has been fixed up , the CAT is very expensive to maintain with their emisson system.

The scary part is CAT gave up and stopped making their highway diesels rather than pour the exhaust back into the clean air input.

Latest systems seem to be working a bit better than 2004 to 2010 junk, but still a very complex arrangement of sensors, valves and bits of pieces not really meant to be stuck together in a harsh road environment, take a look at the sensor wiring, parts placement etc hanging all over the chassis and imagine water, salt and dirt flying all over it with temp changes etc.. Its a scary affair... Maybe some sort of military spec should be applied.

It will interesting to watch the OP's repair to see if the RAM boys have their act together and know how to troubleshoot their own equipment in a reasonable length of time. If not the diesel buyers should be worried.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The diesel PM is the 4th diesel vehicle I have owned with a DPF filter and have never had a dpf problem or any problems with the diesels ive owned. Ive put about 150,000 miles on a couple before selling. Even my wife says she loves her passat tdi, her 2nd one, for its great drivability and great mpg.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My dpf light came on at about 150 miles. Its back off now but I'm a little worried. That seems way too soon.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First let me say I know I am driving a new /first vehicle in the US. I drive about 70 -30 %stop and go(S&G) to highway (HY) ratio and at 500 miles had driven a mix of HY speeds and S&G to travel to Myrtle Beach from Charleston SC and back. This is a distance of about 240 miles and more than meets the requirement of heating the exhaust to burn off the soot IMQ. The REGENERATION light never came on the DPF fluid light never came on BUT when I parked in Lowes to get supplies and returned the DPF warning light was on at start up. Now I did not know what the light was but I was now in traffic and on the way to a DR. appt. and before I could pull over to find what the NEW light was my Check engine light came on then the engine went into LHM. I pulled over called service and they advised to drive at LHM if possible to service and they would look at it. I started the engine and I was out of LHM (reset I thought??) I was 1 mile from the Dr. so I went on to the appointment. I was there 1 hr. and the truck again acted normally when I left but with in 1 mile again went into LHM and I took it to the dealer. The service department has been working with Chryslers engineers and last evening 7 PM (yes on a Fri. night they were still trying to get me back on the road) they advised that all tests were pointing to a software problem not a hard part breakdown. I hope this answers all your questions. I am not happy to be driving a loaner BUT I am happy that my dealer is responding in a timely manner and is concerned that travel/holiday plans are being impacted. I have adopted the attitude that this is a team event not adversarial at this point. I posted here with the intention of giving other diesel owners a heads up and to advise on how I successfully drove in LHM. Again I knew I was in the new technology realm and I knew I would probably have some problems. Just for the record I want to say my breaks squeak sometimes but I take comfort that I am sure they are working. Looking back I realized that I had not on fact answered the question about idle time --0%. other than stop lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hopefully it will be a one time issue with software and you'll never experience it again!!

Keep us posted, good luck and much appreciated !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since your Promaster has very few miles and the defect was intermittent it could be a problem due to a not good electrical contact, for example a weak connector (or mass cable) at ECU or at sensors level in exhaust system.
There should be, if I remeber well and if the system is like european versions, one temperature sensor in the DPF filter, another one in the pre-catalyst, also there should be a differential pressure sensor connected before and after the DPF filter.
There should be also a Lambda sensor.
Plus You have all the sensors of DEF/SCR subsystem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since your Promaster has very few miles and the defect was intermittent it could be a problem due to a not good electrical contact, for example a weak connector (or mass cable) at ECU or at sensors level in exhaust system.
There should be, if I remeber well and if the system is like european versions, one temperature sensor in the DPF filter, another one in the pre-catalyst, also there should be a differential pressure sensor connected before and after the DPF filter.
There should be also a Lambda sensor.
Plus You have all the sensors of DEF/SCR subsystem.

Thanks I generally understand the systems but really not specifics I understood abt the pressure sensors but not the temps. I really hope they get to the root cause and give me my truck back before Christmas I want to go to Florida and I do not want to travel in a paper tagged loaner.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks I generally understand the systems but really not specifics I understood abt the pressure sensors but not the temps. I really hope they get to the root cause and give me my truck back before Christmas I want to go to Florida and I do not want to travel in a paper tagged loaner.
DPF remedy occurs only at high temperatures that makes carbon deposit to burn, let say around 550 - 600 °C (1000 - 1100 °F), but could go even higher.
The temperature sensor in the DPF is needed to allow the ECU to know that the target temperature is reached.
To arrive to that temperatures ECU activates post combustions injections in the cylinders so that some uncombusted fuel arrives in the exhaust system and burn there (well in reality there are more types of post injections management).
Other sensors could generate problems to the DPF remedy, for example MAF sensor, since, if not working well, there will more "smoke" generation, that is not accounted by the software managing remedy.
But also problems with thermostat and also with turbine, many different things can go wrong, unfortunately.

The post fuel injection are the reason why there is a progressive diluition of engine oil with diesel fuel (and also why oil change is not fix, but depends on driving trip lemgth, driving style, number of not finalized DPF regenerations, ...). For North America the remedy interruption should be less than in Europe since on average, the number of miles per single trip is longer in North America.

If DPF filter get clogged than dealer service shop could force a regeneration, that is not the better for the engine if it happens to do it often.

Here in Europe there are some companies that offer a service for regeneration of DPF, the remove the filter, clean with compressed air and than "bake" it in a special owen, the procedure cost less less than a new DPF filter.

Anyway there are many many diesel engines in Europe, main problems are usually with EGR valve clogged, but that was more likely to happen on less recent engines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your explanation. How often will the regeneration process take place? With my problem starting at less than 1000 miles I was actually wondering if the process starts before this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It depends on many factors, since there is also passive DPF regeneration that is going on if DPF reaches high temperatures without the need of active regeneration, for example if you are travelling on highway with heavy load.
In 1000 miles it could make active regeneration 3 or 4 times, but it depends one how the U.S. DPF strategy management works (Euro 6, that should be similar to U.S. version, arrived to market few motnhs ago here in Europe).

For the way van are used in U.S. there should be less less regeneration than in Europe.

To take in account also that in U.S. diesel fuel blend differences between states is larger than in Europe, where some years ago diesel fuel same standard were imposed to all European Union countries.
European diesel fuel is closer to the one You find in California.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It happened today. On way from Denver to phx. Drove most of the way in limp mode, electronic throttle control icon flashing. Could go 65 on flats, but slow climbing. I have an obd plug, so read the code, says dpf issue. The dpf light comes on too. My check engine light came on on the way home from buying it, so had it in the shop last week, they couldn't get it sorted out, but they said it was fine, just a software issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mine came on in town what miles dis you have? and my check engine light came on the day after I bought it with the throttle control light went off after 4 starts and was told that it was just a reset. Ck. eng. came on once more and again went off on next start. These two things happening led me to believe that the lights going off on the DPF lights was a reset itself. I had told my salesman about the first two incidences and he was not concerned. What was your mileage and driving habits/patterns Had you heard any unusual sounds when you shut down? When are you going to the dealer? .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts