Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to the commercial sales manager at the St Charles IL dealer, and he said diesels just got pushed back into next fall. He had some orders in, and they got cancelled and this was the "official" word.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Did he mention why?

It's a little concerning when auto manufacturers delay products by that much at the last minute. Makes me think they discovered a major problem they can't fix promptly. That's the way I felt about Ford delaying the Transit at the last minute too. Makes me wonder what they found after they had announced a roll out date.

I'm glad they are taking the time to get it right, but still......

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pushed back basically a year? Don't know if I believe that or not. If true, what a boondoggle. That's gonna cost some sales for sure

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe it has nothing to do with the product, but instead start-up problems at the new engine factory. I understand they plan to build the engines for the ProMaster in Mexico, rather then shipping them over from Italy.

In any event, it's still gonna be "black eye" for Ram, since they've already announced the engine. Just give me that nine-speed automatic with the Pentastar. That might squeeze another half MPG out of it, perhaps convincing those on the fence that they don't need the diesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dang! I was one of those that was ready to order the Transit then they delayed it so I then was waiting to order a diesel PM now this delay....Arrrrrggggg!!!!!
Was it meant for me to order a 3.6 gaser PM? I already have the 3.6 in my 2013 Jeep JK and not convinced that it (PM) will pull all my tools and parts without a strain. Maybe I should revisit the Sprinter but I don't have anywhere close that service them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's a real bummer for anyone that was holding out. I'm happy to be going with the gas engine...I've never owned a diesel anything. I hope Dodge sorts this out and that it doesn't tarnish the PM name!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Now that's disappointing but its not a brain tumor. I guess I could go with the gas
then again I might be kicking myself down the road. Got to really think this one out
but will have a promaster down the road one way or another.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the issue is the transmission maybe the new 9spd can be adapted for the diesel? If it can handle the torque it would get even better MPG than the 6spd, & perhaps even better than the Sprinter 2.1 with the 7spd. I have driven that vehicle & it is very nice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now that's disappointing but its not a brain tumor. I guess I could go with the gas
then again I might be kicking myself down the road. Got to really think this one out
but will have a promaster down the road one way or another.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Don't know if I can wait that long for the diesel. My loan is approved and ready to go. Just gotta decide by tomorrow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This really sucks. I don't know if my van will hold out that long. I'm tired of 13mpg vans and I don't think the gas version will do any better. 3mpg improvement is not my idea of better! If the problem is the transmission just give us the 6 speed manual. I'd actually prefer that! Otherwise I might have yo get a Sprinter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This really sucks. I don't know if my van will hold out that long. I'm tired of 13mpg vans and I don't think the gas version will do any better. 3mpg improvement is not my idea of better! If the problem is the transmission just give us the 6 speed manual. I'd actually prefer that! Otherwise I might have yo get a Sprinter.
I would stay away from sprinters bud. Take a look at sprinter forums and almost every thread pertains to problems. I have a electrical problem that no one can figure out. There's about a dozen sprinter owners with the same problem. Could be a computer issue but that's like 2 grand for a new one installed. Sprinters are very expensive to fix. That's why I'm considering a pm and dump my sprinter. If they didn't have mercedes motors I would buy another.

·
Registered
399 Posts
... If they didn't have mercedes motors I would buy another.
If they had a GM powertrain I'd buy my first Sprinter. Not that my Mercedes ML has been problematic, but the constant fear of major repair expenses takes the fun out of it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
... Just give me that nine-speed automatic with the Pentastar...
Same here. I don't care so much about the mileage, but more gears would help the Pentastar cope with hills. Plus the current 6 speed, based on the old 4 speed and designed for mid sized cars and minivans, doesn't inspire confidence. The Promaster should have gotten an industrial rated transmission.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here's another Sprinter negative. VERY expensive to fix, and few and far between warranty dealers.
Remember, just because it's a Mercedes dealer doesn't mean they sell and service Sprinters.
Our current one will be our last

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's another Sprinter negative. VERY expensive to fix, and few and far between warranty dealers.
Remember, just because it's a Mercedes dealer doesn't mean they sell and service Sprinters.
Our current one will be our last
Another good point. There's two sprinter mechanics in my area I only know of. Got a mercedes dealer that services them but there too rich for my blood

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I live in Austin, and the area has two Sprinter service places (one in Georgetown, one off of 183), but if I were to head out somewhere rural and the van go into LHM mode because it is feeling fussy that day, I'm going to be out a 200-300 mile tow charge of a fairly large vehicle that requires a bigger than usual flatbed.

I can find a Dodge dealer far easier, especially one that services RAM stuff.

Sprinters are not bad, but when they break, you pay Mercedes prices to fix them, which is another downside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe it has nothing to do with the product, but instead start-up problems at the new engine factory. I understand they plan to build the engines for the ProMaster in Mexico, rather then shipping them over from Italy.

In any event, it's still gonna be "black eye" for Ram, since they've already announced the engine. Just give me that nine-speed automatic with the Pentastar. That might squeeze another half MPG out of it, perhaps convincing those on the fence that they don't need the diesel.
From what I know about the way Chrysler does things lately, it generally means either production couldn't be ready in time, or, they weren't happy with how everything was working. I know that Chrysler has been bitten hard by how much of FIAT's products are not as good as their standards.

I'm disappointed, but happy to see they're just introducing when ready...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't understand why they are delaying the diesel. The 3.0 liter mjtd is not a new engine. They use it on the Iveco Daily for years. It's very reliable and almost indestructible.
It's used also on some New Holland tractors.
By the way, in Europe the best seller is the 2.3 liter mjt.
The last version with 150 hp is perfect and used also on Renault, Opel and Nissan partnership vans (Master, Movano, Interstar).
The 3.0 liter is bought only by people that drive every day with big loads.
I have a company in the USA and another in Italy.
In Italy I drive a Ducato 2.3 mjt with lots of stuff inside...faster than my Ram 1500 Hemi in the USA, always empty. We have higher speed limits on the highways, but we use smaller engines. Another thing I don't understand is the difference in price between the gas engine and the diesel. In Europe a gas V6 with variable valve timing is almost as expensive as a good 4 cylinder td. I think they don't want to sell too much diesels, probably for logistic or productive problems. May be they have problems to reach the the numbers required for a global demand. I think they have to introduce also the 2.3 lt on the US market, almost on the lighter versions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't understand why they are delaying the diesel. The 3.0 liter mjtd is not a new engine. They use it on the Iveco Daily for years. It's very reliable and almost indestructible.
It's used also on some New Holland tractors.
By the way, in Europe the best seller is the 2.3 liter mjt.
The last version with 150 hp is perfect and used also on Renault, Opel and Nissan partnership vans (Master, Movano, Interstar).
The 3.0 liter is bought only by people that drive every day with big loads.
I have a company in the USA and another in Italy.
In Italy I drive a Ducato 2.3 mjt with lots of stuff inside...faster than my Ram 1500 Hemi in the USA, always empty. We have higher speed limits on the highways, but we use smaller engines. Another thing I don't understand is the difference in price between the gas engine and the diesel. In Europe a gas V6 with variable valve timing is almost as expensive as a good 4 cylinder td. I think they don't want to sell too much diesels, probably for logistic or productive problems. May be they have problems to reach the the numbers required for a global demand. I think they have to introduce also the 2.3 lt on the US market, almost on the lighter versions. If you don't need to tow and you want a van fast and brilliant for urban delivery the 2.3 is perfect. My Ducato has a top speed of 180 km/h and I use to go at 130/140 on the highway. The fuel economy is 11 km/lt.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
24 Participants
RDinNHandAZ
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing