Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I ordered my diesel 136 HT 13 months ago I bought the diesel option based on Adrian's (an early former owner of first a gas then a diesel) comments on its drivability and towing ability, as well as his trouble free ownership. We did have more than a few diesels with issues relating to the emissions and about the time I ordered they had quieted down so I believed the bugs were worked out, and by and large they are. Mine has been great- no issues. I get consistent 26+ to 27 mpg and love the way it drives, it is just better than I had expected. I never planned to caculate how long the payoff would be as my motivation was drivability and longevity.
Many posters who came over from the Sprinter World predicted a forever payoff with the diesel predicting about 21 mpg, huge service costs, and expensive fuel. Some have said the DEF would be a big cost, others complained about the oil around pumps and the stink.
I am happy to report they were well intended but respecfully WRONG. In 10 months and 12 thousand miles I have averaged price less per gallon for diesel than I would have for unleaded, in fact I have paid more only about 10 times! Today I paid $185.9 at a discount gas station that had unleaded at $195.9. A gas promaster would have gone 17 miles to my 26. I get fuel at these stations that have a diesel pump next to the gas pump and are nice and clean never at a truck stop.
I have no way to go back and re-compute the time for payback as I did not keep the competing gas prices and I still don't care. But it would be interesting! Gas Buddy is a must for diesel owners if they hope to get D'fuel at the unleaded price.

Nationally they are close, but diesel varies much more than gas so shopping the low price has considerable advantage. Some diesel is just priced for ignorant people who don't check prices and that brings up the average price. See: https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
You will be pleased to know that here in NH diesel is now about .10 a gallon less than regular. I suspect this is only because the heating season is over and summer gas and greedy oil companies are raising the price of regular at a rate about double the rate of the increase of oil.

Within a short time I expect, in the North East, diesel will once again float at about a 15% gallon premium over regular as it does historically. In the mean time, fill up your tank and as drive fast as you can.>:D>:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
You will be pleased to know that here in NH diesel is now about .10 a gallon less than regular. I suspect this is only because the heating season is over and summer gas and greedy oil companies are raising the price of regular at a rate about double the rate of the increase of oil.

Within a short time I expect, in the North East, diesel will once again float at about a 15% gallon premium over regular as it does historically. In the mean time, fill up your tank and as drive fast as you can.>:D>:D
You would think that would be the case, as it has been in years past, but this past winter the prices didn't increase as much as in the past and for the past two years the price for diesel has been nearly equal to gas; now it's less than gas.

I keep looking for news that would explain the low cost of diesel in the US, but I have not found anything explaining the change. In Europe the price for diesel is same or less than gas.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
It's gone back up to either the same price at some places to typically 10 or 20 cents more than regular now.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What price differences! I paid $1.719 to $1.759 for most of the gulf coast from Houston TX to Pensacola FL far south of I-10. The rest of FL and up through KY diesel was $2.199+- and the same here in NH. I avoided buying diesel in NY as it was $2.399++. Howerer I never paid more for diesel than reg unlead. Even in Keene NH. I am sure you are right as I buy fuel in S. Central NH. I do see the refining cost as a precentage and the marketing cost of diesel have gotten on par with gas. See:
http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to emphasize differences , diesel in our area ranges from $,829/liter to $.949/liter which translates to $3.14/US g. to $3.59/US g. . Hope this does not discourage travel to N. of the border ! The value of your dollar helps offset the cost difference, plus welcome 'boondocking' for those passing through .

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to do a good bit of "Oh Canada" travel this summer and fall. Up to PEI and Nova Scotia+Cape B and then in the fall across Quebec and Ontario crossing at Sault St. Marie. I see a US dollar is $1.29 Canadian today making that fuel $2.50 US, not a deal breaker. Boondocking? Where?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Price of diesel is passing the price of regular by upwards of .20 a gallon in Texas and other states across the south. Truck stop diesel is more expensive then some gas stations. Gas stations diesel is around 1.959 right now, you can find some stations that have it for 1.90 or so.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Was gassing up my motorcycle this morning in Tennessee and noticed that regular gas was $1.98, diesel was $1.85. Later on this evening I was in North Carolina, and regular was $2.55 while diesel was $2.15

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in Southern California Diesel is .50 cents a gallon cheaper then regular gas and it's been that way for the past year. Yes our fuel/gas is more expensive out here but I'm saving $200-$300 a month with my 22.5mpg average last 19,000 miles 2015 Promaster Diesel 3500 ext with 2000+ pound loads always. Compared to my 15mpg Chevy 5.3 gasser! These are with 50/50 city/hwy driving!

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just to emphasize differences , diesel in our area ranges from $,829/liter to $.949/liter which translates to $3.14/US g. to $3.59/US g. . Hope this does not discourage travel to N. of the border ! The value of your dollar helps offset the cost difference, plus welcome 'boondocking' for those passing through .
So cheap!
Only a meagre $1.13/L here. At least we get points for gas at almost every brand of gas station in Canada. Lots of places to boondock in BC too, the Delica van guys love to do that kind of stuff, I didn't, despite once owning one.
P.S
Its nice to have a PHH card and go to a "cardlock" diesel station when you arrive in town and everything closed at 10pm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re. price of diesel and summer travel in Canada; the price usually goes up a bit mid June for the travel season. RD, if your Ontario travels take you through the North Bay area enroute to the SSM border crossing we have 100 acres with some good overnight(s) boondocking locations. No hydro , but water available. All PM travelers welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts