Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the hunt for a used 136 high roof gasser for a couple months now and, so far, the only one I've seen in my home state of CO was a '14 with 120k on the clock. Any forum members out there from Colorado? If so where'd you buy your PM? New or used? Any advice?

There's a decent number of 136 high roofs listed online in the $20-25k range (mostly fleet resales) but they're pretty much all on the east coast! Is this a lesser-produced configuration or something? Seems like high roof 159s are dime a dozen.

Here's where I'm at:

- Keep waiting and hope for one to come on the market in CO (seems unlikely). Been hunting on craigslist, cargurus, cars.com, etc... should I be looking elsewhere? If so, where?

- Jump on a deal elsewhere but have to fly out to retrieve it (pain in the ass).

- Buy new? ...Purely because it looks like I should be able to buy a 1 to 2-year-old van with 20-30k on the clock for ~$22k, I've all but ruled out new vans. Maybe I should reconsider?

- Enterprise car sales will transfer a vehicle to your nearest location, but this configuration seems hard to come by there, too. The sales guy found one recently and called it a "white unicorn" :laugh:

Any advice/resources would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We were in the same boat looking for a 136" high roof in Montana. We looked in a 500-mile range and also in Pennsylvania where we have family living. In the end, we ended up buying new. With the current incentives, the price was not that far off from what we were seeing for used 136" high roofs. Most of the fleet vehicles have very high miles in a very short amount of time. That might not be a big deal, but I worry that they have some hard use in their short existence.

Curious to see what others ay, but we found 136" high roofs to be very hard to find used. If you do find one, act quickly before it is gone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It took two months of searching trying to find a used 136" within 2 1/2 hours driving distance from my location in southeastern Virginia. Eventually found a 2016 with 20,000 miles and drove to the dealer for a test drive. A week later I phoned them and negotiated the deal - in large part because they would deliver it to my front door for "free" and all paperwork was handled with FedX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We were in the same boat looking for a 136" high roof in Montana. We looked in a 500-mile range and also in Pennsylvania where we have family living. In the end, we ended up buying new. With the current incentives, the price was not that far off from what we were seeing for used 136" high roofs. Most of the fleet vehicles have very high miles in a very short amount of time. That might not be a big deal, but I worry that they have some hard use in their short existence.

Curious to see what others ay, but we found 136" high roofs to be very hard to find used. If you do find one, act quickly before it is gone!
Glad to know I'm not alone, @MontanaExplorer! How long ago did you buy? And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? Just trying to weigh the options.

...suppose I could always walk into a dealership and see how far I can haggle after rebates, etc.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I bought mine a year ago. Wanted a diesel 136" high roof and any color other than white, thus I had to fly to Nebraska and drive it home to Grand Junction.

I was in Glenwood Springs a few weeks ago and they had several high roofs on the lot, and in 2 or 3 colors other than white.

·
Registered
32 Posts
NC resident. Bought a 2016 136 high top in south FL, 3 months ago. Was selling a boat there after travel sabbatical, so needed a vehicle. Getting the title work and licensing is being done through a third party and now I am on my third temporary tag. It has been a complete nightmare. Try to buy in your home state if at all possible. Or just handle the title work yourself to ensure everything is processed correctly. The cluster*^% involved an incompetent dealer, coupled with a nationwide incompetent title processor.

FYI - Sticker said $35k, paid $26,995, plus dealer fee $750 (negotiated down from $1000), and taxes etc. It had 44 miles on it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Didn't travel at all, we ordered ours.

Being that this would be the first time I'd purchased a new vehicle I wanted to get just what I wanted, and not what I didn't. About the only option we did not get was the factory nav (and glad we didn't).

We did have to wait almost four months, but in the long run it has been worth it, not having to compromise on not having options that I wanted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used the Ram online inventory search. Found a leftover with all the options I wanted 4 hours away. Drove there in my Jetta in case I decided against that van I had an easy way back home. Purchased the van, rented a uhaul tow dolly, towed the Jetta home with the 3500 extended, RV package PM.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We were lucky and had several dealers within a few hours who had ones we could consider.

We opted for new and its not a bad choice if you can get a good rebate. We had a business at the time we bought so we qualified for some additional rebates making new much more affordable. And if they any left overs they may be willing to deal as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I waited a year and a half to find a used 159" high top. I wanted to save a few bucks by buying used. I was working about 3 hours from home and saw one sitting at a dealership it was not advertised on the internet at all and just happened by it by chance I pulled and and made the deal (well we went back and fourth over 3 days) its a 2016 had 20,000 on it. bought it in june of last year so we just past the 1 year anniversary.
I follow a couple on you tube that's from florida and they found there van in I believe Connecticut the husband flew there and the dealership picked him up at the airport they made the deal and he drove home.

If you have to travel do it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drove a rental car 4.5 hours to pick up my PM (used 2014 136" high top). I had driven down there the weekend prior to do a few test drives. Picked one out and drive my car home, the next weekend I took a rental car to pick it up. The dealership picked me up at the rental car drop-off and we went back to the dealership to take care of the paperwork. I drove it back the 4.5 hours same day.

I had been looking for about 3-4 months and this dealership just got in a few PMs from an auction all 2014s 136" high roof gassers with less than 15,000 miles. They only hit the street in March of 2016 so at the time, I still had 23 months of warranty remaining. This was the closest I could find within 5hours driving distance.

https://www.vansofgreatbridge.com/inventory/searchmake/Ram/category/Cargo_Van

1 - 15 of 15 Posts