Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the weekend on a camping trip to a larger sidecar rally in Asheboro NC. Just a bit over 500 miles round trip, but it was fun. Van ran like a dream! I'd swear that stability at speed in hiways has improved since have gotten some miles on it. The Vanco tires did have really deep squishy tread blocks. I know on motorcycles that can give you a squirrely feel at higher speeds. The van used to feel touchy at 70 mph. But not anymore. I think that 15k miles have worn in the tires and work hardened the rubber a bit and improved the stability at speed. Averaged over 22 mpg for the trip!

400 watt solar on the roof did a great job. It was hot enough this weekend that the refrigerator in the van had to work pretty hard. So it drew down the deep cycle batteries more than it did camping in MD last month in the cold. But they still carried the fridge til morning and then by 7 am the panels were beginning to work again. But it did make think a battery isolator to allow the vans charging system to charge the deep cycles would be a good thing. I'll have to look into those.

Very happy with the van. Looking forwards to next trip in July!

Reactions: MJAB

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,683 Posts
We did too!

We took our usual trip for 3 days to Lancaster, PA, then on to York PA for another 3 days!

Lancaster => shopping... it's not much fun for me, my wife loves it! Stayed in a hotel. :crying: Lots of room under the beds for purchases.

York => O gauge model railroad meet at the York Fairgrounds. Stayed in the van at the fairgrounds. :D Lots of room under the beds for train purchases.

They get about 13,000 train guys for the 3 day meet, with lots of buying, selling, and meeting up with old and new friends. We've done the van camping thing for a few years now (once I got the couch/beds installed). They charge $50 for 3 nights of camping at the meet with electricity, water and sewer included in the fee. We just use the electricity part. Plenty of bathroom facilities open all night, a few hundred feet from my spot, plus the porta-potti ready at a moment's notice in the middle of the night!.

Not much scenery, no trees... we like to get a spot on the pavement at the intersection of all the main roads at the fairgrounds, kind of a "corner lot" situation. Cloudy on Wednesday night when I took the picture... nice on Thursday and Friday.

I set up my traveling train layout on Thursday morning, because we're there, and the meet doesn't open until noon. Lots of guys stop by. About half want to talk about my train layout, the trains, remote control, power, etc.

The other half are people that want to know...

"What brand RV is that?", "What kind of engine, mileage, etc.?", "What's in it?", "How long is it?"

I usually get into a discussion with them about how great the Promaster is for a DIY conversion --- I should be getting a sales commission from RAM for all the good things I say about our Promasters!

Thursday night we got a real bright thunderstorm and heavy rain...no insulation on roof (yet) = very loud raindrops! Another great trip! :)

Rich, I hope the piggyback on your thread is OK!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lionel

We took our usual trip . . .
They get about 13,000 train guys for the 3 day meet, with lots of buying, selling, and meeting up with old and new friends.
You've got us searching our (apparently erased) memory banks. We met this very interesting gentleman (and his son) who you may know . . . his claim to fame is purchasing the facade from the old Lionel building in New Jersey (especially the Lionel name above the entranceway) and . . . he now sells 'certified original' bricks from that same building . . . know him?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts