Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have been watching this board for some weeks now. I am getting excited about creating our own DIY van. It all started with looking at class B motorhomes. We looked at the Hymer and liked that one the best. We are not looking for anything real high end with super nice cabinets. That is one of the reasons we liked the Hymer. Nice but not over the top.

After looking at cargo vans we decided to go with the PM van. We like the Transit van too but the extra size in the PM is really nice.

Looking at all the info here and other sites for DIY is really great. Not only does this make this much more affordable but you can customize it to your needs. We have 29" mountain bikes and a inflatable boat / 2hp motor. Being able to take these with us is really great. I think we really need the 159 WB because of this.

Other things we want is a toilet, A/C and a way to power the equipment w/o plugging in. I think running the A/C might be a challenge from batteries. If the A/C does not work this way my other half is going to insist on staying in a hotel on warmer nights. Not something I really want to do.

Thinking of keeping things pretty basic. Just buying a portable stove so we can use it inside and out. Maybe some kind of a portable heater too. We probably will not use this much in the winter unless we are heading south. A sink for sure but I am not sure yet on having hot water. Maybe we can get along w/o it. Not even sure about a frig. Maybe just a good cooler would be enough for us. I also like the idea of the KISS principle to reduce what is needed to do for winterizing. We had a boat for many years with everything in it. Doing the winterizing and cleaning took more time then I wanted. I did enjoy the hot water and being able to take a hot shower but I am not so sure I want to do that again. Maybe a portable shower or stopping at truck stops etc would be OK. I am sure we will be staying at some campgrounds too but being able to tuck in somewhere is appealing.

We also talked about doing something really basic to make it usable for now. Then use it and add to it as we go. We do that a lot with home projects. The more you live with it the more you find out want you really want.

So a big thank you to everyone that has already gave me a great education on what to do and not to do. I am just scratching the surface of what I need to know but the learning is part of the fun.

Getting late in the year to start this project this fall but we might get something soon if we can find the right van. Looking probably at a used 2500 159WB. I did not like the white color but with windows and add ons it looks a lot better than a stock white van. Silver is what our first choice would be. We need cloth seats for sure and having a back up camera is a must. Might be willing to just add our own back up camera system if needed. We are planning a trip to Florida this winter and having this would be great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can relate to your KISS philosophy. We use water jugs and a dishpan. The galley has 48" of clean, uninterrupted space to use as I want. We have an RV, so this is for a different purpose- old style camping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts