Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the refill DEF light came on. It was not a surpise, as it was due again. I have always waited til the light came on. I get about 2100 - 2200 mpg on DEF fluid. I have filled from the pumps at truck stops since new. It takes about 3 1/2 gallons or so to fill. well yesterday the van did not recognize the tank got filled. After a few moments of starting van: the DEF light comes on and I get a message "speed limited in 196 miles refill DEF" I was about 200 miles from my delivery and on a deadline. I drove on. I stopped about 50 miles later as I was at my fuel stop. I again got the message but payed no attention to what miles speed would be limited. I made my delivery. Upon restart I get message again "speed limited in 196 miles refill DEF" At this point Im about 450 miles from home. At every restart i get the same message, lucky for me it is not counting down those miles. I have been about 800 miles since this 1st appeared. I get no codes. I erased data anyway. I went tonight and filled DEF tank again. It held a half gallon, light and message the same. I tried inserting a clean hose into tank and blew air from my compressor hoping to agitate the liquid incase there was any crystals clinging to a sensor or something. No change still 196 miles to limited speed. I disconnected the battery too. No change. Any ideas? ps i have a "running light out" message but all are on ( this has been on for 60k miles)

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,440 Posts
I had similar evic warning but throw a code p208b (low def pressure). It did turn off buy next fillup. I also called the bluff that was 17000 miles ago. My scan guage of def level in the tank was bouncing all over the chart 15% to 100% that was after the fact. I didn't know it was available. That was back then today the bounce seems to be about 10% difference from actual level. Someone said they had a def problem and that their wires were loose at the tank in this thread: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57362&highlight=p208b
Heres what I have read and some things may not be true. The sensors are in one module in the tank and from what I have read not replaceable the whole tank is $900. There is an ultra sound and possibly a mechanical float in the sensor pack.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like KilWerBzz's idea to check the DEF level with your OBD tool. I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and use the OBD fusion app, it has a "NOx reagent tank level" selectable by default, mine reads 50 when full and is very sensitive to sloshing due to accelerating, stopping, and slopes.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Mine too fluctuates a lot but does so centered around a value consistent with the level I think the tank should be at. IIRC mine is configurable to adjust for a full output value when it is full.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought a OBD tool wireless with power command as the reader. i have not figured out how to read the def level on it yet. I have no codes. And again luckily the van just threatens to slow speed in 196 miles and has not been counting those miles down.

I also crawled under and disconnected and reconnected the wires to see if I had some sort of wire connection issue. no change.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
OBD Fusion app is cheap if you want to give it a try. The basics run at startup, but the setup takes time you have 600 plus pids you have to sort through to find the ones you want and not all will work. I first checked log all and save to log and then uploaded to a spreadsheet as a cvs, to see which ones I wanted after a test run. Every 2 weeks you need to have internet connection to validate the software.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.TouchScan&hl=en

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yesterday with about 6600 miles on this tank of def, i refilled the tank. My refill def light went out. The message on the info center that read speed limited in 196 miles went out also. I had no codes that my scanner could find. I guess the sensor for tank full was not reading. I was happy that the 196 miles til speed limited was not an actual countdown. i got my usual 2200 mpg on the def. i only use the nozzle at the truck stop, so i get an accurate amount of def and i keep a diary of mileage. 2200 mpg is consistant since new. i had read on one of the sprinter forums that someone suspected that the acidity of the urea is what triggers the sensor and possible problems could be caused by weak def. I have no clue about all that. I am happy the lights are out. I also had a message about a marker light out. i found it! it was a tiny bulb in the amber area of the turn signal. there are 2 other bulbs so that area always looked lit. a friend had his go out on his sprinter, after showing it to me i looked closer at mine. passenger side. i no longer have any Italian mood lights on. Hurray! 1st time in about 80k miles. I hope it stays that way for a good long time. current mileage 193k; fuel economy average over that mileage is 24.2

Reactions: twicken2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts