Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do mine every 4500-5000 miles. I"m not sure how far it goes, no gauge, maybe someone knows how long it goes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just refilled with my second2.5 gallons yesterday at 9500.

(Jokingly) are you sure it's a diesel?

What is your driving style. I am 85% city so I feel I am going to chew through def fairly quick

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put 2.5 Gal in at 7000 miles and it sucked it all. 50/50 mix for me on highway/local.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm at 5200 miles, no sign yet for low DEF warning.

I watched the dealer fill the DEF when I picked up the van; even cleaned up most of the dribbles as it topped out. (I cleaned the rest when I got home)

Looking at my calendar notes for road trips, about 3500 miles of highway road trips. Of the 1700 local, its probably 50/50 for actual stop and go in town vs. highway speeds.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You "new" diesel owners will find that there's no set mileage on DEF. Our Sprinter uses about 2.5 gallons every 6k miles, mostly highway.
You'll also find that stop & go and idling use more than highway miles do. Since DEF has a shelf life, and you have a 5 gallon tank, I would suggest just tossing in a 2.5 gallon container every 6-7k miles. If you are a relatively low mileage driver, you might want to stretch that out farther to keep your DEF fresher. Just a thought there.

Also if anybody didn't know, WalMart now sells it own brand of DEF at an excellent price of about $8.00 per 2.5 gallon container....

Reactions: uNik

·
Registered
167 Posts
Anybody crossover 15K ODO ? (with diesel)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ive got 25,000miles and have filled the DEF twice. I filled it both times at a Flying J/Pilot truck stop.
I am expediting with my van, and do about 90% hwy.... 2015 3500 extended
Did your light come on, or did you just fill it because you thought it was time?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ive got 25,000miles and have filled the DEF twice. I filled it both times at a Flying J/Pilot truck stop.
I am expediting with my van, and do about 90% hwy.... 2015 3500 extended
How may times you did refilled 5gal DEF? Also did you got DEF warning light or dash MSG?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both times I did get a low Def warning light. Since I used a truck stop Def pump, I just filled it until it stopped. I would guess around 3 gallons or so. Pump price was $2.79 gallon for the Def. I paid about $11 or so to fill it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yesterday at 3,986m ODO I filled my DEF 2.5gal can into a tank.
NO light or msg come over. I was CLEANING my space, WAS TIRED to carry DEF container from August inside cab.
The whole 2.5gal got inside tank without left-over.
So,,,,, I did not got what is a DEF=mpg ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oct31,2015 Filled DEF at 3,968m ODO.
Not because of any van-computer indication, but just tired to carry DEF can inside a van. Next day November 01,2015 while driving at 3,998 got a dash board msg DEF SEE DEALER, and engine light comes ON.

I made my trip, then after returning home got over ~50 miles adds since msg DEF come over. In a week I will visit a dealer.
Since DEF is not related with inside engine, I do not worry much about it.
Since this msg DEF come, I stopped and started engine 3 times; NO speed limitation

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm at 5200 miles, no sign yet for low DEF warning.
Thinking about this a bit... now I'm planning to top off the DEF in the next week. Road trip to New Mexico coming up soon, don't want to deal with being on travels and refilling DEF. So while I'm curious when mine will signal, it'll be easier to just fill it now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My DEF light finally came on for the first time at 5700 miles. I went out and bought 5 gallons from Amazon. I'll see how much I can pour in, sounds like about 3 gallons? I mostly drive highway miles.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I had to add DEF for the first time last week. The yellow warning light came on. I added appox.5 gals. The truck just reached 10,000 miles. (16,000 km.)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts