Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay newbie dumb question.

So I've read the manual and searched the forum for how one might check the DEF level? When I start the van I see

Oil Level * * * * *, is that the DEF level ?

I read the vehicle will start to warn me when I'm low but I'd like to know before then :)

I've got 2200 miles on the van and seen others suggesting needing DEF around ~4000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Def level question

I have the same miles on mine kind of curious also book says we will get a warning before we need to add , I will probably note that in the small tablet in my PM , in the glove box. This is a learning curve to all of us:|

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am at 22,000 miles on my diesel. A yellow Light with a symbol and a warning in the info display will alert you Def is low and needs to be added within 1,500 miles. It will count down the mileage you have left til empty same as Range for fuel. But prior to the light coming on you cannot check the level or range. No big deal when light comes on you have lots of mileage to refill. You dont even have to wait for light and refill every 5,000 miles to stay full. Def is really cheap and the vans sips it.

I drive 98% highway and towing 100% of the time. Total weight including van and trailer is 9,000lbs. my driving style with a load always teailer, the def light came on first time around 6,000 miles. The range went up as high 7,300 miles between def refills. Once i let def go as low as 60 miles range before refilling and it took 4.5 gallons of def to refill fully.

Great van 0 problems. Been averaging 21.5 mpg driving 65-68mph towing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the heads up, I like the van alot no problems not towing-hauling about 1500-1800 lbs . City 20% rest freeway avg 26miles to gallon . Been using the manual shift , more smooth and positive. Never owned a diesel,
pleasantly amazed , that said I find myself trying to stay 1600-1700 in the shift to stay in the torque range of the motor. My brother has a gasser, his truck
hunts for a gear when on simple grades and wind , trans is not the same and
that is the big difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DEF warning light at 4000 miles

When I saw the icon for DEF (looks like droplets) I added two 2.5 gallon containers of Blue DEF (5 gallons total were $25 at Kragen)...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I haven't actually seen it myself yet, but I'm seeing reports on other forums that WalMart now has their own brand of DEF and it's around $9.00 per 2.5 gallons

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
That Wally-World price looks good. Anyone near a truck stop with a DEF pump who can report prices? In a way I think that is the way to go as there is no container to dispose of and it should be dispensed from a hose with auto shutoff. My local Love's said all their stations have it when I asked in May.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've filled our Sprinter once at a truck stop, a Loves in fact. The DEF dispensers were not tied into the "pay at the pump" system, so I had to go inside. The pump nozzle was filthy dirty, and had boo-koo of that crystal substance on it that DEF forms when in contact with metal. I did wipe all that off best I could before pumping. What a pain. Haven't done it since. Bought bottled on sale somewhere, or Wally world, the Peak brand so far.

Don't know about the ProMaster setup, but on a Sprinter, the only way you can tell if your DEF tank is full is when it overflows down at bumper level. The fill spout of course is at the top of the radiator area with a long hose down to the tank.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
142 Posts
DEF overflow - preventive trick to it?

Comment was made:
Don't know about the ProMaster setup, but on a Sprinter, the only way you can tell if your DEF tank is full is when it overflows . . . .
Same here with my PM. While holding up the box/nozzle of DEF into my DEF tank, got a surprise DEF overflow after a few minutes. I was wondering when it was going to be "full" and was waiting for an automatic stop (in the nozzle?). Had a mess to clean up, and if you're not carrying water in your van for clean-up, the harsh chemicals dry up to a white crystallized mess.

How can I prevent overflow? any ideas? was I using the nozzle incorrectly?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just had the DEF light come on. I was wondering when it would let me know. Just for input, the symbol showed at 4,900 miles. Also just picked up at Walmart #2 2.5 gallons of DEF at $7.88 ea. Cheers

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,501 Posts
Save the fill spout it fits on a washer fluid bottle to refill the washer fluid reservoir. Works good.
IMG_20150911_173824.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
OK I finally decided that it was a convenient time to add DEF so off to Wally World and purchase 2 containers @$7.88. My mileage was 7060 and the dealer had toped it up at 71 miles meaning I had gone 6989 miles. The first jug went in no problem. I transferred the used nozzle to the other jug and proceeded slower. I began to hear the sound of the fluid in the van's fill pipe and slowed down and added a little at a time until I was sure it was up the pipe. No spill! I was left with about 3/4 gallon of DEF. So 4.25 gal. took me 6989 miles or 1644 miles per gal. @ $3.152/gal. or $.00192 per mile for DEF Folks thats .2 cents per mile! So much for those who warned about the added cost of DEF!
I now will top it off with 2.5 gal. at between each 4,000 and 5,000 miles.

If the tank holds 5 gal. and I could put in 4.25 gal. why didn't the low DEF light come on? I must have been close?

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK I finally decided that it was a convenient time to add DEF so off to Wally World and purchase 2 containers @$7.88. My mileage was 7060 and the dealer had toped it up at 71 miles meaning I had gone 6989 miles. The first jug went in no problem. I transferred the used nozzle to the other jug and proceeded slower. I began to hear the sound of the fluid in the van's fill pipe and slowed down and added a little at a time until I was sure it was up the pipe. No spill! I was left with about 3/4 gallon of DEF. So 4.25 gal. took me 6989 miles or 1644 miles per gal. @ $3.152/gal. or $.00192 per mile for DEF Folks thats .2 cents per mile! So much for those who warned about the added cost of DEF!
I now will top it off with 2.5 gal. at between each 4,000 and 5,000 miles.

If the tank holds 5 gal. and I could put in 4.25 gal. why didn't the low DEF light come on? I must have been close?
Well said!

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,501 Posts
2.5 gal Def added first time when light came on at 5960 miles. Yesterday at 9803 miles light came on that's 3843 miles on 2.5 gals, with the one gal left in the tank when light comes on, that gives you 1200 miles conservatively to find more DEF. If in the USA I see no need to refill until the light comes on as most places sell def that includes home centers I haven't seen it in grocery stores yet but if the price margin is right they will sell it. So far there is only one place I have seen (Buc-ees) that sells DEF in 2 gal jugs at bulk rate prices $2.79 gal which means two complete jugs no left over when light comes on.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Your usage was 1538m/gal not far from mine. I wanted a guideline for usage and until someone else finds it different I am saying we use a gallon every 1600 miles +-.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts