Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 promaster 159" high roof diesel 600 miles on it check engine light came on code p2ba9 quality of def not sufficient. Took to dealership they tried to reset it but couldn't because scan tool did not have the functionality to do all functions for the promoter yet(scan tool just updated while I was there waiting still no functionality). Started a claim with Chrysler care. Tried to do a manual reset by draining defense by two gallons cycling key then adding a gallon and driving. Did not reset went to limp mode. Had towed back to dealership. They had to send out a field reports with an engineering level scan tool(one that never leaves the engineering floor). Field reports was flown in and had it reset but it took most of another day van was down a week which I was not happy about but dealership's did everything they could with little help from ram corporate. Was very pleased with both dealership s that I delt with. Customer care could be a little better at keeping customers in the know with what's going on. My only complaint really is that corporate has not prepared the software in the scan tool to be able to be able to deal with these yet and not gotten dealership training before launching the diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to add that for any early 2015 and most 2014 diesel promaster vans have a flash to updated the ecm check with your dealers and have you're vin handy so they can look it up

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Interesting as that would mean the code was thrown with DEF from FCA. and it MIGHT be bad. In the back of my mind I have wondered for a while if bad DEF might be causing the CEL in diesels when it comes on early in the life of the van. You are the first to report that code. Who fills it? The dealer when it is prepped? The factory? Or perhaps it is a sensor or program glitch as has been suggested. Just saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must have some in it from factory but dealership has to top it off in pre delivery inspection. I guess the whole point of telling you guys was that they just released a flash last Wednesday for early diesel models and to let everyone one know they don't have full diagnosis information or scanner capabilities yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well don't buy
from Amazon because 30 miles after refilling my DEF I also got this code.

This reviewed swayed me and others I know have used DEF from truck stops so I thought I was okay.

"I was hesitant on using a none mopar product in my 2104 Diesel Jeep grand Cherokee, But works great in my Jeep"

Clearly not a Fiat engine in the Jeep . . .

Luckily I only added 2.5 gallons. I'll try draining it and adding DEF from the dealer and let you know what happens . . .

Don't think my code ready can clear this code either . . . :(

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Oh why do these things happen? I too hesitated to fill my DEF from the pumps at a Loves station. So I bought 2 jugs at Wally World and filled it (4.25 gal) and reported it elsewhere in a thread. So far no problem but I have only gone about 15 miles. Monday I have a 250 mile trip planned. I'll report.

Is there something special about the Prestone DEF? Isn't all DEF the same? What is the FCA DEF? Some is called Ad Blue, some DEF. Mine is just Urea and water: 32.5:67.5 what gives?

I checked the spec sheet from Prestone and yours is exactly the same as Wally World's If mine works you may need to look elsewhere for the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I think most DEF is mostly water and UREA so why is the Fiat motor + American emissions so particular? The is my first refill BTW. My DEF warning light came on at ~5700. Arghh.

The contents of my container read the same.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
The factory/dealer did NOT top up your DEF when you got the van as you would not have the "Ad DEF" light at 5700 miles if they had. I had the prep guy fill mine at purchase after getting the def service light and got that code reset at the same time of course. It took "exactly one gallon" according to him and so I expect the factory puts in 4 gallons. I had no "Ad DEF" light at 7800 miles and it took 4.25 gallons to fill it.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Good article MJAB.
I have put 300 miles on my diesel since adding the Walmart DEF and all is good. I suggest we should buy where the DEF is selling to avoid old, stale, or improperly stored product. Other than that adding DEF should not cause a CEL or EIC message and if it does the first thing to do is get to a dealer to have the update(s) done. The shelf time is supposed to be two years. DEF is not rocket science but should be kept from excessive heat and used within a reasonable time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts