Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was surprised to see no threads dedicated to decals since approx 90% of our vans are a fantastic shade of brilliant white.

I previously tried to jazz up VanCave’s appearance by debadging and blacking out. While it certainly looked less vanilla, the 2 square feet of blackout just couldn’t compensate for the 140 square feet of brilliant white. So I started looking for something more... short of changing VanCave’s color (I actually like the white... especially in summer). While perusing Amazon for various decal styles a few months ago, I came across these relatively conservative vinyl decals

Decal Link

They are 16“ x 78” and come in a variety of colors... best thing is they are only $15 so if I messed up the decal application, I wasn’t out very much money. For $15 you get a mirrored set of two decals for left & right side application.

The decals didn’t have any instructions so I called my good friend Youtube who told me everything I needed to know in 5 min... I used the “halfway fold” method described in this video Decal Application Link . All told, decal application took about 90 min.

Here are the final results...

Front view:

Back Quarter View:

Side View:

In summary, I am very happy with the results. I’ve never installed decals before... I simply followed the Youtube instructions and took my time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks good. I always thought about getting a bunch of magnetic decals with faux-business logos so I would blend in more. For example, Steamboat, CO is very strict about no-overnight parking, but are they really going to do anything about Joe's Solar, Inc. van? For ski areas where you can't park in the parking lot, will they be more lenient toward the Rosignol van (not Rossignol!)?

Anyway, your decal looks great!

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Some of us have ‘em.
Decal.jpeg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some of us have ‘em.
View attachment 60314
That looks great, too. I always love that quote.

I also thought about getting custom perforated window decals for the back of the van. Those are the ones that look like an image from a distance but you can see through up close. Anyone seen those on a conversion?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Be careful. Stickers like that will add a lot of horsepower.
You're playing with fire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do decals just peel on and off? Curious how permanent the installation is for something like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the idea of a commercial name decal. Was thinking of having one made at a vehicle sign store. Again, just want to blend in. Same thought as not being bothered if I'm overnight at a business.
Do any of the decals offer company decals? Or if you send them a gif or jpg of a company name, would they blow it up - and still look sharp?
Was thinking of something like Quest Diagnostics - maybe folks would think there's just urine or tainted blood inside?

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
If you want that I’d suggest “Professional Scab Removal” as a by line.

Seriously I knew a guy who had to park often in the commercial section near the food distribution businesses in NY and sleep in his panel truck. He had a giant cabbage painted on both sides w/appropriate grower fictitious name. Never was bothered.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I bought my last van from a dry cleaning business. Fox dry cleaning business. My last name is Fox. It came with all the Fox decals, I left them on. I don't really think the decals made me any less immune to getting a midnight knock though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also liked the look of Phil’s “whited out” windows... so much so that I applied perforated white vinyl on my sliding door and rear door windows.

I normally use my rear window Reflectix window shades for privacy, but the privacy effect of the vinyl allows me to remove those so the net effect is no decrease in ambient light inside. I’ll be unable to comment on the cooling effect of the white vinyl covers until summer returns.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts