Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried removing the giant RAM PROMASTER badges on the doors and rear? They seem designed to make the nice euro Ducato design seem tough for the American market. Mine aren't even on straight! Would prefer the look without them but don't want to try and remove them if it will damage anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have removed most of them without an issue. I used fishing line and goo gone. It's time consuming, for me at least. Some have had better luck with a heat gun but I don't own one.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I just used a couple of hardwood wedges I made on my bench saw. Drive them under the badge and they rip the foam tape and you are left with the remains of the tape and glue on the van. I used paint prep cleaner to remove the glue because I had it. Each took a 1/2 hour or a bit more. Fiat badges and even a Ducato label and wheel centers were available on the internet. Fun stuff, I now have a Fiat Ducato. Today a neighbor came by to ogle the van and said he had gone to a Fiat dealer to ask about buying a van after seeing mine in the yard and the Fiat dealer had no idea what he was talking about! So funny!

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
I used dental floss, a plastic putty knife, cedar shingle shims and lots of lacquer thinner (I know, I know) with good results. Make sure it's a nice warm day or use a hair dryer first. A heat gun might be too hot and mess up your paint.. The bigger badges seem to come off easier than the smaller ones.

Reactions: uNik

·
Registered
167 Posts
I removed ALL badges from white van body, only left in radiator grill.
Used plastic-glass made chisel for pry out.
Then for left over sticky glue paint-thinner.
Work in a hot-test June Florida's day!!! (In cold I think it will need hot-gun)
That was my FIRST Van TAKE-CARE project.
On my old Sprinter-2500 (2006year-made) Was dark sign of flow water under "2500" on a passenger and driver doors.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Every time this comesup on all the forums I have been on, people state over and over again how it is best to do it on a warm or hot day, and/or to use a heat gun. There was a guy on the Dodge Ram pickup forum I was on who started to do it on a very cold day with dental floss. After getting underneath the first part of the emblem the whole thing popped off the truck, adhesive and all! It wasn't on very solidly in the cold weather.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
THAT IS TRUE! No pins.

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't use heat. I just used an old gift card, a can of Goo Gone, and a worn-out t-shirt. I probably spent about 10 minutes for each spot.

Personally, I would NOT use a buffing wheel or anything with a motor on it, as I would be afraid to linger too long on one spot, and wreck the paint.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
I appreciate this thread as I have often thought about how ugly the emblems were without taking the initiative to do anything about it. Spurred by the posts I removed one of the red 'Promaster' emblems by heating with heat gun and prying off with a plastic putty knife. I then used mineral spirits on the 'black goo' remaining. With a few applications of MS, the black goo softened and came off with the plastic knife. I then rubbed for a few minutes with MS on a cloth to remove the remaining clear adhesive. Absolutely no sign of the removal remained.

On the next one I plan to try the dental floss method for emblem removal. There appears to be no necessity for using the far more volatile lacquer thinner which may well eat into the clear coat.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
The big Ram insignia comes off the easiest. A plastic knife or something similar should do the job. I've never found mineral spirits to do much of anything. I used lacquer thinner to clean off the residue well over a year ago with no adverse effects. If the paint can't take a little thinner it's not good for much! Use a fishing line or better still dental floss if it's stubborn. I wouldn't use one of those power removal disk thingies, too much of a chance of doing real damage in the hands of an amateur ;) I knows the pros use them all the time but that's why we call them "pros"!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Chrysler should get informed that their RAM'N image may work for pickups but less so for us Euro Van buyers. I have always disliked aggressive vehicle naming. Suzuki INTRUDER comes to mind as a poor choice, who wants to be an intruder? Natural disasters? Avalanche? Not if you've lost a friend in one? I am surprised there isn't Tsunami but I expect it might not sell in Japan. I had those ugly rams off in a week, and the Craftsman-like Promaster signs in a couple of months. Mine says Ducato and Fiat. What does Ducato mean? Ram? Now ROADMASTER was a great vehicle name especially if it was a vehicle that could master the road! I did have a motorcycle called an INTERCEPTER when I was young and I liked it then. That wouldn't work on my van!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
Ducato is Italian, taken from the Latin "Ducatus"

ducatus (Latin)
Noun

ducātus (genitive ducātūs); (masc.)

leadership
guidance
authority

Then again, a slight variation, more RV related is "ducot", as used in the sentence,

"I couldn't fit beds in the back of my Promaster so I usually just "Du Cots".... response, "Oh"

Ed

ps. Used fishing line and lacquer thinner to remove just the big red labels!

·
Registered
179 Posts
We used to call the Buick "ROADMASTER" the BLOATMASTER.

Now ROADMASTER was a great vehicle name especially if it was a vehicle that could master the road!
Had planned to re-grille/re-badge Ram ProMaster using Citroen Jumper parts from the beginning. Just noticed a bunch of used Jumper grilles on eBay.

Thanks for tips on removing Ram ProMaster emblems.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I am just old enough that in 1965 when I was legal to drive the 1955 Buick was my dream car, See:
http://www.55buick.com/roadmaster.html

Now nobody would call that "Bloatmaster" or am I just too nostalgic?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts