Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am close to pulling the trigger on a new 2014 Promaster 159 HR. I am trying to swing a diesel but it is a little over my budget. My searches have gone all over the country within 1600 miles from home. I just talked to a dealer in Michigan yesterday that had purchased his 2014 stock from Chrysler. He said that his vehicles would now be sold as "used" and the warranty has begun as of August 30th.

The best price so far on 2014 diesel is $32,700 Plus TTL. I can get the same in a gasser for about $ 28,900 + TTL.

I am wondering if I wait until January or February I might get a better deal on an '14

Diesel is about $2000 more than I can afford.

Thinking about waiting till winter to snag a 2014 diesel that fits in my budget.

What say You?

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I am close to pulling the trigger on a new 2014 Promaster 159 HR. I am trying to swing a diesel but it is a little over my budget. My searches have gone all over the country within 1600 miles from home. I just talked to a dealer in Michigan yesterday that had purchased his 2014 stock from Chrysler. He said that his vehicles would now be sold as "used" and the warranty has begun as of August 30th.

The best price so far on 2014 diesel is $32,700 Plus TTL. I can get the same in a gasser for about $ 28,900 + TTL.

I am wondering if I wait until January or February I might get a better deal on an '14

Diesel is about $2000 more than I can afford.

Thinking about waiting till winter to snag a 2014 diesel that fits in my budget.

What say You?
Why do you need a diesel? Is it an actual need or just a desire? I would suggest you get the gasser and don't go for broke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I like it for the MPG, although I understand it may take 5-10 years to payback. It is probably mostly a desire more than need, as I won't be hauling over 2000lbs. However, living in Utah the torque will probably will help a lot with the hills and higher elevation.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 2015 gasser and have a couple of thousand pounds load. I have plenty of power and torque as it downshifts when needed. In mixed town and open road driving I consistently get 18.1 MPG by the vehicle computer and 17.3 by actual calculation. Why not forget the diesel and go with gas? I have had 2 diesel Sprinters and like the gas promaster better.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My dealer here in Twin Cities MN has three identical 2014 136" HR 3.0L's at $10K off sticker... http://tinyurl.com/nkuyjyj --- so there are 'deals' out there

If* you're interested, google the listed VIN to zero in on the dealer. Justin in commercial sales might give some help in finding your unit.

For me it took haunting the dealerships 14-18 months with many drop-ins before they gave me 'the offer I couldn't refuse'... so have patience... :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking off and on for 6 months. Yes patience is probably the best advice here. I still have a truck and a trailer that have kept me going well. I may decide to wait until early 2016 to see what deals are there, or just go for the gasser.
what particularly do you like about the gasser more than the diesel?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Kfb, I had a gas Promaster and put 33,000 miles on it. The gas PM is nice with lots of power. A gas engine delivers the power differently. Now I've had my diesel PM for 10 months and over 41,000 miles. I absolutely love, love the diesel!! I tow a trailer and total weight with trailer I am just under 11,000lbs. I was a little worried getting the bigger heavier Toy hauler trailer . The diesel tows it so well and effortless. This van is very impressive and the more I drive it the more I love it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kfb, I had a gas Promaster and put 33,000 miles on it. The gas PM is nice with lots of power. A gas engine delivers the power differently. Now I've had my diesel PM for 10 months and over 41,000 miles. I absolutely love, love the diesel!! I tow a trailer and total weight with trailer I am just under 11,000lbs. I was a little worried getting the bigger heavier Toy hauler trailer . The diesel tows it so well and effortless. This van is very impressive and the more I drive it the more I love it.
What Adrian said! Get the Diesel!! with the deals that are out there for the remaining 2014's, its a no brainer! Luv my Diesel with 4800 miles on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts