Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local Ram Truck dealer still had no 2016 ProMaster Info today 8/18. Did confirm no late delivery 2015 PM's - approximating my spec - had showed up anywhere within a 300 mile radius.

He wasn't sure any 2016's had been delivered yet, despite what I told him I'd seen online. Then searched for himself, decided there was no price increase, nothing new & only white ones.

Deja vu All over Again?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I noticed that FCA updated the Build Your Own site recently. It still shows the 2015, but a lot of the prices have changed. I suspect they did that so they can say that the 2016 hasn't gone up in price, as a marketing feature.

I think there are some 2016's on the lot now. I was looking at one dealer site where they had 4 2016 2500's listed. 3 had a generic "Image Coming Soon" picture along with an icon that said "This vehicle is in transit". The 4th had actual pictures of the vehicle on the lot.

I was intrigued to see two of the options. One was "LED Cargo area lighting", and the other was "Rear Assist Handle". The configuration has a few interesting combinations. If you order floor mats, in either rubber or carpet, you have to deselect the rear window defroster. Strange.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I noticed that FCA updated the Build Your Own site recently. It still shows the 2015, but a lot of the prices have changed...
I think the prices went up mid 2015 - lots of 2015 inventory out there with the higher prices. Low 136 went up about $170, Uconnect $145 diesel $495, and a bunch of other options. Overall seems like about $1000 increase on a well equipped vehicle. That makes the early 2015 inventory a better bargain.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now 9/23 & still No Info on the 2016 ProMaster at local Ram Truck dealer. Their truck salesman seemed a bit annoyed that I stopped by again to inquire. He wasn't aware that 2016 ProMasters were even on the ground yet.

Dealership still has the same 4 high roof ProMasters on the lot that were there in May. At least 2 are 2014 models. They seem to be intent on discouraging enthusiasm for ProMaster.

Half expected to be offered a special discount price on a left over ProMaster.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Now 9/23 & still No Info on the 2016 ProMaster at local Ram Truck dealer. Their truck salesman seemed a bit annoyed that I stopped by again to inquire. He wasn't aware that 2016 ProMasters were even on the ground yet.

Dealership still has the same 4 high roof ProMasters on the lot that were there in May. At least 2 are 2014 models. They seem to be intent on discouraging enthusiasm for ProMaster.

Half expected to be offered a special discount price on a left over ProMaster.
Very little here in CT on the 2016's, a dealer in Danbury gave me a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2014 diesel, wicked deal. Can't believe they don't want to dump those, Fiat probably made them buy them at this point and now their losing money on carrying costs. Idiots if they don't want to unload a '14

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I will tell you I ordered 2016 may 30th and I still do not have it. The dealers do have the new pricing now, but I will tell you all they want to do is sell 2015 now. Of course the most popular color is white because all they will order is white. I ordered blue and may have the only blue one in va. I am tol chry is negotiating a new contract with the carrier/shipper of flat bed tucks and as soon as that is done shipping will begin from mexico. Maybe The truck is being used by the white house to bring more people across the boarder and it gets such good mileage and holds such a good load they keep using it. The options have not chande very much, most are rumor like chrome grill.Rear asst handles, Insterment panel bright bezels, Auxiliary battery prep.And that was all I could find new.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got my 2016 about 3 weeks ago. I actually ordered a 2015 gasser 2500 window van granite. I order on 4/19. It took so long I ended up with the 2016. The dealer never provided me with good info. If you can get your order number or if lucky enough to have the VIN, then you can probably get info from Ram. Their Twitter account @RamCares was very responsive and provided a solid delivery date to me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
FCA as finally updated their web site. The build your own feature has the 2016 ProMaster on it. There are a couple of new options as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Visited another Ram Truck dealer today, they have 2016 ProMasters on their lot, but still no 2016 ProMaster sales brochure.

Unfortunately the 2016 ProMaster shown in stock on their website & confirmed by phone before leaving home, that I was interested in, apparently got sold out of state nearly 2 weeks ago! Having driven over an hour I was obviously disappointed & they were apologetic. The explanation it seems was that they had checked their own non-updated website!

Did find an interesting "Competitive Comparison" brochure that pits ProMaster specs against Transit, Express, NV & Sprinter.

Am not real happy with the Ram Truck dealer/New Car Buying EXPERIENCE.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thread & my post is about dealer experiences.

Was this 'Competitive Comparison' brochure available online somewhere or was it at the dealer?
Trust me, if I found it online I'd have posted a link to it.

Suggest trying to search using the Key Words provided.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Having worked in a federal government contract group three lifetimes ago, I was curious to see the specifications listed and how flexible they were. For instance, if the specifications listed Front wheel drive, only the Promaster would win, if it said rear wheel drive then the Promaster couldn't win,etc.

I went through the specifications and found a few items of interest.

1 - "The battery must be readily accessible from the exterior front of the vehicle." --- Isn't the battery under the seat? Is there even room for a battery under the hood?

2 - "The vehicle will be insulated and the interior walls and doors lined to prevent damage". I wonder what they are going to use for insulation?

3 - "The cargo area must be lit with at least two LED lights, and two 3 pole switches located at the drivers left front dash and the cargo door."

4 - "Tilt steering". Yup, specifically says Tilt steering. Wonder how they are going to make that happen..

5 - "Either two front or two rear drive wheels" So open to everyone..

6 - "The supplier shall furnish the manufacturers standard 4 cylinder minimum internal combustion engine". I guess technically they could supply the diesels, but the gas will be cheaper. The way this was written it did not prevent Sprinter from bidding if they wanted to.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's interesting how the rear door (singular) is required to rotate a minimum of 260 degrees (the exact amount claimed by ProMaster). The Transit only claims 237 degrees for rear door swing. Does that mean it was not considered?

I imagine in the case of procuring something as complicated as a vehicle, there has to be some room for negotiation on specifications. Perhaps the bidder can state his exception to certain specifications in his bid? Assuming so, maybe FCA noted that the vehicle does not have a tilt steering wheel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Article I read about USPS contract said that in addition to the ProMasters, they also bought some Transits.

Having submitted & won several state government contracts I learned that many specifications are merely lines on paper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now its Friday & the Ram Truck dealer who didn't have the ProMaster in stock that they advertised & confirmed by phone, who I visited on Monday - STILL hasn't called after taking my info in person.

Once again it seems like a Ram Truck dealer lacks enthusiasm to sell ProMaster.

Leaves me wondering if it's any way to run a business? Perhaps they're trying to use Reverse Psychology by treating prospect, w/cash burning a hole in pocket, like a vagrant?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts