Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when RAM assigns production units or allotments to their dealers?
I ordered a Promaster in October and was told by the sales guy that production would only be scheduled and the VIN assigned in January. At the time they told me that I was likely looking at an April delivery but it could be as late as the summer. A couple of weeks ago I was told that my delivery was now looking like it would happen in September.
today, I got an email that says that my vehicle was not scheduled and I could either cancel my order or they could slot it into the 2022 production schedule.

I have a suspicion that they oversold their quota and assigned the production slots to the buyers who are most beneficial to them but I need to learn more about how the assignment of the production volume works to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
337 Posts
I can't answer the allotment question. I spent two weeks calling dealers after starting out wanting to do a order. I was warned by more than one dealer that what happened to you could happen to me. I was ok with a 3-4 month wait, but not 9 months to a year. Amazon bought 22,000 PM's and FedEx/UPS snapped up a few themselves causing a shortage. I suspect that since it is mostly a commercial vehicle that the dealers give businesses preference over us lowly 'civilians'.

A member here came up with a search engine to find PM's on dealership websites: Vandom.co , but I think it only searches the US. You may have to resort to calling Canada dealerships and searching for a 'in stock' van that is close to the configuration you wanted to order. That is what I did & flew from TN to MO to pick it up. Another useful tool is a window sticker VIN searcher:

Just cut off the VIN at the end of the link and paste in the one you want to look at. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I suspect it's not sales quotas, but rather FCA simply ignoring retail dealers in favour of mega-corp orders. Apparently, this crazy high demand has already back-logged production into the next model year. There is also a brief production gap during the summer when they retool for the next model year that starts shipping in September.

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect it's not sales quotas, but rather FCA simply ignoring retail dealers in favour of mega-corp orders. Apparently, this crazy high demand has already back-logged production into the next model year. There is also a brief production gap during the summer when they retool for the next model year that starts shipping in September.
Ugh. This is likely going to cost me more than I'd planned. One the up-side, I found a dealer within an hour's drive of here that has two on his lot that just came available. They don't have exactly the options I wanted but I'm heading there tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't answer the allotment question. I spent two weeks calling dealers after starting out wanting to do a order. I was warned by more than one dealer that what happened to you could happen to me. I was ok with a 3-4 month wait, but not 9 months to a year. Amazon bought 22,000 PM's and FedEx/UPS snapped up a few themselves causing a shortage. I suspect that since it is mostly a commercial vehicle that the dealers give businesses preference over us lowly 'civilians'.

A member her came up with a search engine to find PM's on dealership websites: Vandom.co , but I think it only searches the US. You may have to resort to calling Canada dealerships and searching for a 'in stock' van that is close to the configuration you wanted to order. That is what I did & flew from TN to MO to pick it up. Another useful tool is a window sticker VIN searcher:

Just cut off the VIN at the end of the link and paste in the one you want to look at. Good luck!
I think that's exactly what happened since the dealership I went to also supplies a VanLife rental and conversion firm. I thought it was a bit sketchy when I didn't have a VIN assigned 3 months after my order was in.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
337 Posts
I really wanted factory swivels, but vans equipped with them were $4K+ more. We are glad I found one with the 6way seats($245).....very comfortable & a pair of CTA swivel plates are on the way now for $380 so in the end it will save us about $375. We really wanted the sandstone color, but I smell a garage paint job as soon as it warms up.

Oh, and when you call to inquire, ask for "Fleet Sales" as many garden variety sales persons don't know squat about the PM's and end up just wasting your time.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
239 Posts
Commercial truck manager will know everything about his inventory , his job description includes ordering commercial vehicles with all optional equipment available to him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We ordered a 159 High Roof on 1/12/2021 and were assigned a VIN and D1 status estimated ship date of 3/10/2021. Once we are at this status can the factory still cancel it?

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We ordered a 159 High Roof on 1/12/2021 and were assigned a VIN and D1 status estimated ship date of 3/10/2021. Once we are at this status can the factory still cancel it?
I think that the VIN means it's scheduled and it's yours. I imagine the factory can still cancel it but at least the dealer can't play fast and loose with orders like mine did.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,479 Posts
FWIW,
google "Ram assigned vin d1 status"

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyway, I got one! It's not the one I ordered or even the exact model I chose (it's a 3500 standard 159 instead of ext) and it cost me more because it was on the lot with options I didn't really want. But, the way the current market it, I'm satisfied that I made the right choice (and happy and excited and nervous and a bit scared because it all happened so fast and I thought I had months to get ready).

I may get a bit of satisfaction from the Consumer Protection Act where I live. The dealership that reneged on our agreement is in breach and I have recourse under the Act to go back to them for and difference in cost - and punitive damages, if I can get them. I can do it through small claims court so I won't even have to incur crazy legal fees. Wish me luck!

tempImagezlLAKX.jpg E5EB6168-3DED-42E9-8133-6231D628DF76.jpeg

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,479 Posts
left and right sliders :)

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
left and right sliders :)
Yup. And a bulkhead divider between cab and "house", a double pax seat, those ugly black wall panels and a few other things I paid for that I don't need. But 3500s are scarcer than hen's teeth around here so I'm still grateful!!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,479 Posts
One way to use the black panels, just insulate behind them and you're done.
From RD's build

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
954 Posts
Yup. And a bulkhead divider between cab and "house", a double pax seat, those ugly black wall panels and a few other things I paid for that I don't need. But 3500s are scarcer than hen's teeth around here so I'm still grateful!!
Congrats on the new rig. Looks like you have a skylight too. Many seem to like light colored walls/ceiling but I find my dark paneling (tempered hardboard) tends to disappear, especially at night, giving me a sense of more space than I actually have in my low top 118". YMMV

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
337 Posts
Congrats and let the madness begin...........

Also, if/when you remove that bulkhead, post it up for sale here as someone always seems to be looking for one.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,746 Posts
You’re right, there’s an upside to having them from a functional point of view. And they’re lighweight even if they’re not pretty.
Congratulations on finding a van after being bypassed in the new order process.

The factory panels could be helpful as “templates” in creating your own panels. You could also sell them if you keep them in good condition.

If you do not like the colour, you could cover them with a fabric of your choice (or a specialty coating).

Good Luck & Fun with your Build !!

·
Registered
2021 3500 HR in Montreal
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will definitely use them or sell them. I'm also now happy for the floor covering because it will help me as a template for my final floor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts