Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging around watching and learning for the last few months ... and I just got back from placing the order for a 1500 low roof 136" wheelbase.

It will be used as a "toy hauler" for taking my motorcycles to track days and vacation destinations. The low loading floor is a big selling point for that application. The low roof is still high enough that I can stand up inside with my head ducked a little ... good enough. I'll take a little better gas mileage for having to duck my head a smidge. The interior height is still vastly better than the GM and Ford traditional vans.

First domestic-brand vehicle that I've ever bought ... first vehicle of any sort that I've ever bought with more than a 4 cylinder engine. Compared to what I'm used to, driving it feels like driving a city bus, but it seems comfortable and quiet enough.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome Brian! You and I are parallel in many ways! This is my first domestic vehicle as well. I've always had Toyota trucks and I'm ready to be done with the truck scene! I opted for the low roof and though I'm sure it's nice to be able to stretch out in the cargo bay, I'm hopeful that my wind resistance will be as minimized as possible! How long did your dealer "quote" your timeframe?

·
Registered
166 Posts
welcome aboard Brian! you plan on having tools and whatnots back there as well? Have you seen the Promaster Support Truck from SEMA?

Congrats on the order BTW!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer says 8 to 12 weeks but they won't really know until Chrysler processes the order. Need it for mid-April-ish so hopefully it won't be longer than that!

I will have to build something to hang onto a couple of wheel chocks, and I'll need a new loading ramp, because the one that I have been using for my trailer will not work. Toolbox will likely go up front against the left side (opposite the side door). Tires likely inside the side door. Paddock stuff - canopy, bike stands, cooler, barbecue, etc around the bike ... I might just support the bike in the wheel chock up front and sit it on the paddock stand in the back and tie it down from there. I am probably going to buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood and use that to secure the wheel chocks, and a couple of strips of wood to locate the toolbox in its corner and stop it from moving around too much. But building this will have to wait until after I get the van. Can't fit a sheet of plywood in my car (which I'm keeping for daily-driver use).

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree! I am thinking of a high roof 159 with sleeper section in the front and room for two bikes (side-by-side) in the rear.

Note how they secured the tires in the overhead storage above the driving compartment.

Also love those retractable FIAMMA awnings.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree! I am thinking of a high roof 159 with sleeper section in the front and room for two bikes (side-by-side) in the rear.

Note how they secured the tires in the overhead storage above the driving compartment.

Also love those retractable FIAMMA awnings.
I didn't even spot the tires up their. Tires do take up space and that is a really good place to put them. Just imagine what other big object can go up their depending on your needs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After what must be a record for waiting time, I finally took delivery today. Didn't get home until dusk so no pics yet, but they'll come.

I took more time fiddling with the seat and mirror adjustments than on the test drive ... I think it's going to do fine on long trips. I'll find out this coming weekend!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First mission is complete - hauling my vintage roadracing motorcycle to the event at Grand Bend, ON and back - just finished unloading at home an hour ago. The van is awesome for this. It's just the right length, it's high enough to make loading and unloading easy, I can get in and out of my leathers inside, I can sleep in it overnight. No more tent camping unless I want to.

Motorcycle roadracing folks also tend to be truck, van, RV, and SUV folks ... hauling bikes around comes with the territory, and a lot of people were interested in this one, having not seen one up close before.

If the fuel gauge is anywhere close to being accurate, it's heading for between 11 and 12 L/100 km, which I can deal with. It has around 560 km and the gauge is just above a quarter. Most of the trip was on cruise at 105 km/h, some secondary roads at 80 - 100 km/h.

Aaaand there is something that I have not figured out ... the trip computer! If I press the "mode" button it brings up "MENU up-arrow down-arrow" and pressing the up and down arrows only cycles through the speed limiter and beep volume, or "exit menu". Somewhere in there has got to be trip-meter, instant fuel consumption, etc but I cannot figure out how to do it, and two of my computer-geek racing buddies could not do it, either! I am sure it is operator error, but what are we doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Forget about the mode menu. The control you want is well hidden on the right hand control leaver. It's a button on the end that you would expect to use to make the WW squirt. Pushing it changes the dash display info at least on my uconnect it does! It also works separately from the uconnect display.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha ha, who would have thought ... the button labelled "TRIP" selects the trip computer functions! Only trouble was that I didn't find that button before. Figured it out now - thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got a pair of loading ramps from http://www.discountramps.com/ - while they have a lot of odd stuff on their site, the aluminum ramps i got seem to be well made, reasonably priced and made in the USA (they say.) I am still working out my loading system (to carry a vintage microcar) but they delivered what I ordered very quickly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carpeted the cargo area today - nothing fancy, just indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I bought a piece 6 ft x 12 ft, trimmed it to fit, and bolted it down using the tie-down hooks. Didn't do the wheelhouses.

Reasons ...

The steel floor is slippery. My front-wheel chock tended to slide rather than engage or disengage the front wheel of the bike. Also, this will give a better footing when walking around inside, and it should help toolboxes, ramp, etc from sliding around while driving.

It also should help the paint on the floor stand up over time.

It's an extra layer of insulation and cushioning for the floor when sleeping inside. It might even help keep it quiet, although I haven't driven around with it in place yet.

Looks better, too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First fill up. 583 km on the odometer, took 64,85 litres, 11.1 L/100 km (21.1 mpg US). I'm happy with that!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics!

Plenty of room for everything. For this trip (loaded up the van the day after taking delivery!) I put a big piece of cardboard on the floor ... better solution comes later.

Length is good.

After that weekend, I carpeted the floor (sorry for the washed-out phone pic)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im really stoked to see and read about you other two wheeled fanatics moto haulers! I will be purchasing in the next two weeks and will start building soon. Really liked the driveability of the PM and sizes u can choose from!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts