Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
174 Posts
Did you run your DC-DC negative to the chassis or back to the main battery?
My house negative is isolated from the chassis, so everything round-trips. There are varying opinions here on whether the chassis ground should be used for the house DC negative and my preference is not to.

The starter battery clamps to the chassis under the floormat in between the seats, so I ran 4 AWG over to an 'intermediate' chassis ground point I created from the D-loop behind the driver seat. I then run all my chassis (and component body) grounds from there, as well as bond it to shore ground when plugged in. So if by "DC-DC negative" you mean the channel for the starter battery then the answer is yes, but my shore power channel is not grounded to the chassis. (Again, there are many related debates on this and about every boat or RV or van forum).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have the upfit connector at the B post and would like to avoid an extra switch when tapping into an accessory ignition position connection. Is there another option for RUN only connections?

2015 Promaster

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I'm running into the same exact issue I have the 2014 PM with no upfitter in the B pillar. I'm installing the 30a DC to DC charger with MPPT from Renogy. I have everything ready to go, just can't quite figure out where to put this D+ ignition wire. After reading this thread (and others) I'm leaning towards wiring to the cigarette outlet under the dash and installing a switch for the times when I'm parked with the ACC on. Would this be a viable solution?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
Yes, and you may not need the switch because leaving the key in ACC doesn't do much. After about 15 minutes the computer shuts most of the accessories off.

It would be interesting to put your key in ACC, connect something to the 12V cig lighter socket, and see if it turns off after timing out (all while leaving the key in ACC. I power a police scanner from that wire but I never thought to leave the van in ACC and see if it times out! (on my list now...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I'm running into the same exact issue I have the 2014 PM with no upfitter in the B pillar. I'm installing the 30a DC to DC charger with MPPT from Renogy. I have everything ready to go, just can't quite figure out where to put this D+ ignition wire. After reading this thread (and others) I'm leaning towards wiring to the cigarette outlet under the dash and installing a switch for the times when I'm parked with the ACC on. Would this be a viable solution?
I ran a test on this, and ACC does not time out. I had a 12v load plugged in for 30 min, and no cutoff. My solution was to tap into the 12v cigarette outlet under the dash and ran a switch for the D+ line. Works like a charm.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts