Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what this is. Are they just on during the day? Is there another benifit that comes with this option?
Thank You

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
It is an option to display headlights all the time day and (usually brighter) night, you usually can't shut them off. Some say they are a good thing. Meh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pro: you never have to worry about turning on your headlights
Con: you'll burn through more headlights.
Solution: install LED headlights

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ordered the DRLs on mine. I also have them active on the '10 Sprinter I drive at work. If you have them and decide you don't like them, you can just turn them off. Just like motorcycles, the thought is that it is less likely that traffic will miss you coming, so it aids in accident avoidance. It is nice to then have auto on/off headlights with the ignition switch. I do still find myself having to turn the headlight switch back to the off position when using the backup camera during the day though. The brightness of the camera on the U-connect screen is too dim for daytime use when the headlight switch is left on. The U-connect system should be auto adjusting with a daylight sensor, but that's just one of many features of U-connect that could be better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you order the daytime running lamps what you get is a separate light bulb in the housing dedicated to the daytime running. If you are turning on the daytime running operation in the U Connect menu it will turn on your regular headlights for daytime running.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I think they arè required on vehicles sold in Canada. Just another pita as far as I'm concerned tho. If I want my lights on I'll turn them on. I had them in my Sprinter and pulled the fuses on them. Who wants headlights on while camping???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Daytime running lights are required on all new vehicles, in Canada.
No other lights are on.
They power an alternate bulb, not as bright as your headlights.
Turn on your headlights at dusk as they do not turn on themselves.

Reminder, to all the tourists who visit Canada and rent a car, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS, AT DUSK!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
CUT..... If you have them and decide you don't like them, you can just turn them off. Just like motorcycles, the thought is that it is less likely that traffic will miss you coming, so it aids in accident avoidance.CUT....
Actually motorcycles cannot turn them off. It is a PITA if you want to drive in the parking lot of the campground, if the bike doesn't start for a bit, if you want the key on to check the mileage or whatever. I have a European right hand switch for my BMW R1100R so I can turn them off just like my brethren in Europe but technically it is illegal to ride a motorcycle of the age of mine without headlights on. The fact many cars have them may contribute to motorcycle safety as now our lights on may get noticed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Supposed to reduce your insurance premiums according to my insurance company but that's hard to verify.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you order the daytime running lamps what you get is a separate light bulb in the housing dedicated to the daytime running. If you are turning on the daytime running operation in the U Connect menu it will turn on your regular headlights for daytime running.

Is this a Ram City option? The switch is in the U-connect? I think I've turned mine off by accident (no. not real accident, but not on purpose)

·
Registered
50 Posts
As an avid motorcyclist I have had bikes with "always on" headlamps for decades. There was a lot of grumbling about this becoming a requirement when it was implemented in the late '70's, mostly due to the poor charging systems that bikes had at the time. The payoff was an increase in the visibility of motorcycles, and it lead to a standard of much more robust electrical systems- heated grips and clothing were simply unthinkable on a bike from the early '70's, as they could barely run their own headlight, often requiring the light to be switched off if idling a lot.

For me it's not an issue- I run with the headlights on at all times on my cars and trucks as well, since it does increase your visibility and is required on some of the highways in my region.

On my '18 Promaster the headlights turn off when one turns of the van, so I have just left them switched on since taking delivery. I think the only downside is shortened headlamp life, which is a price I'm willing to pay for the added potential I'll be seen. Well, and one needs to turn up the dash brightness during the day to be able to see the backup camera display.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think they arè required on vehicles sold in Canada. Just another pita as far as I'm concerned tho. If I want my lights on I'll turn them on. I had them in my Sprinter and pulled the fuses on them. Who wants headlights on while camping???
Which fuses operate the DRL?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts