Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I further customize my PM, I decided it was a good idea to install a dashcam to help keep an eye on my investment.
After trolling around online, I finally found a two camera system by a company called Blackvue.
It looks out front and the back. It has WiFi, GPS and records in 1080p.
Very small footprint that sits behind the rearview mirror.
I also ordered the power pro kit which allows it to work when parked! The Dashcam Store also provide fuse adapters so you don't have to cut and splice any wires. Finding the right fuse took 3 times as they are not marked anywhere to what they do!
I ordered it from http://www.thedashcamstore.com
Since we are in the A/V business, I decided to become an installer for them!

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks like the back camera is covering the rear of the vehicle perhaps through a window.

The fuse taps are easy to use but i believe that if you insert them backwards then the added circuit is unfused... I haven't used one for awhie though, it's worth a look into it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. What are you using the back one for?
The back one is just like the front. Just to have another set of eyes on the van. People can peek inside and having it on video is worth it. Plus I checked with my insurance company and they are looking to see if I can reduce my premium since I'm reducing my liability.
Its also set to record when parked, so having the rear camera makes sense!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not want to install the camera on the rear door glass as it will be subjected to a lot of vibration from opening and closing the doors.
Since I have the racks, it made sense to install it to simply look out the rear.

The best part is that Blackvue has an app so using the wifi on the device, I can connect my phone to the camera and offload any videos I need, plus it allows me to look at what the camera sees.
Being the camera has a very wide angle lens, something that in real life looks really close, like someone cutting you off, looks not so bad in the camera. But because its digital, you can zoom in to make it look more real.
The videos are in 2 minute clips which makes searching easier. Seemless between video clips so you can watch a lot of video. It can take up to a 64g mini SD card that can hold about 9 hours of driving!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting. I'm tempted.
Trust me, I did so much research my eyes were bleeding from all the articles and youtube videos explaining every small virtue it lengthy detail!

I'll post some video later. Going out now so I will get some video. Not sure if you a video here?

I went with Blackvue for a few simple reasons.
1. They recorded in 1080p
2. Included GPS so you can play back the video and see where on a map you were.
3. Small and discrete. Great design and a great improvement from the previous model in that its all blacked out.
4. Great app that allows for video transfer and live viewing. They are constantly tweaking it to make it more "american". All the setting are on the app too so you can adjust on the fly! I suggested the add the ability to view both cameras on the app at the same time. You can on the desktop, but not on the app.
5. Has two channel recording with audio! Can be turned off with the swipe at the device.
6. Best price by far at www.thedashcamstore.com. Came upon them after google searching by part number. At least $100 less than those found on Ebay. Plus they include the fuse adapters free! Great communication as I had a zillion questions. Had an issue loading the new firmware and according to the directions we were doing it correctly. Come to find out from thedashcamstore, that the company missed a step. Once we inserted the step it all worked. Like that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, since I cannot directly upload a video to this forum, here are two youtube video links that shows the cameras, both front and rear, from the same drive.

Video quality is adjustable on Youtube, but it shows that 1080p is available if your internet connection is good!

front - http://youtu.be/My1JCYWJ8c8

rear - http://youtu.be/g8lOtqDtKZw

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Impressive. What was the total cost?
If you buy from www.thedashcamstore.com as they seem to have the best pricing it was $379 for the cameras, plus $50 for the Power Pro kit, and when I ordered it they offered 10% off plus free shipping, so it came in around $400.

I did the install myself, but I charge $300 to do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How long will it record when the vehicle is off? Is it continous w/overwrite or does it time out? I have a 2ch. mobile dvr that records to an SD card. Can record for about 4 days before overwriting. Only problem is it kills the van battery after two days. Need to install a solar panel to keep it running.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long will it record when the vehicle is off? Is it continous w/overwrite or does it time out? I have a 2ch. mobile dvr that records to an SD card. Can record for about 4 days before overwriting. Only problem is it kills the van battery after two days. Need to install a solar panel to keep it running.
I installed a device called the Power Pro. It takes two feeds from your fuse box, one live all the time, and one on when the key is on. This way the device can monitor voltages. If you have the device activated, it will record when the van turns off and will continue until the battery voltage drops to a preset level. I have mine set to 11.8v. This way when the voltage drops to that level it will shut down the camera.
The 64 micro SD card can record continuously for about 9 hours and overwrites in a loop. Each clip is a 2 minute recording that is labeled with date and time. I have the resolution set at 1080p for the front and 720p for the rear. If you lower the resolution the record time jumps from 9 hours to over 20.
Since it records digitally, during playback on a PC, you can easily zoom in to see a licence plate or other object. Also since it overlays the GPS, a map comes up to show you where you are driving. You can also overlay both cameras together, like PIP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plus I checked with my insurance company and they are looking to see if I can reduce my premium since I'm reducing my liability.
How did you make out with that? I like the idea of having a dashcam, but I am on the fence as to whether I want to put that much money into one. If the investment is offset by insurance premium savings, it would be no-brainer...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
which installation kit did you order. i want to order one too, i just don't know which install kit to order..
Where in Central NJ are you?

Not sure what kit you are talking about. They come complete with all the attaching hardware, electrical connections and wire to do the install.

The only additional part was the Power Pro which allowed for use when parked and van off.

Blackvue is the manufacturer

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im in elizabeth, i want the fuse kit where i don't have to plug into my cigarette lighter.. or does that come with the camera?
Even with the kit you have to plug it into a cigarette lighter. The PowerPro is the optional part that is $40. It also comes with the "add a fuse" wires that allow you to not have to splice into the harness.
On the site www.thedashcamstore.com you will see my pics posted with the exact fuses to use. RAM does not have them labeled or numbered and there is no way to tell which fuse does what. It took me some time to figure it out.
http://thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-1080p-dual-lens-wifi-dashcam-dr650gw-2ch/
We install these all the time and I find them very small so they are will hidden.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
so even if i get the "installation kit" where you tap into the little yellow fuse, you still have to plug into cigarette lighter?? i was hoping the 40$ instal kit would allow you not to use the cigarette lighter.... I'm not a smoker, it just looks cleaner without having wires dangling everywhere

·
Registered
42 Posts
according to there site, if you get the install kit, you don't need to plug into the cigarette lighter, which gives you the clean look without all the wires dangling. if I'm reading it correctly that is

1 - 20 of 28 Posts