Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Modern cars seem to do things if it thinks you've just gotten into the car because they noticed the driver's door opening. My wife's car will charge up the fuel pump because it believes you're about to take it on a drive.

At least I THINK it's charging up the fuel pump because it's an electromechanical "whine" that increases in pitch and volume. I don't know what else that sound could be. Kind of exciting and odd at the same time. Sounds like a robot powering up in a sci-fi movie.

This happens without the key being inserted into the ignition (e.g. when I've forgotten something in the car and open the driver's door to get it).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It definitely happens more than once after the engine is turn off. The van hasn't run in several weeks now, but I hear it just about every day since I'm working in the van a lot. Maybe 2-3 times a day max, depending on how much time I spend in the van. It isn't loud, so it would be easy to miss in a city noise environment. But we live out in the woods where it's dead quiet much of the time (that or chain saws). I'm more curious than worried.

EDIT: OK, I just did some more googling, outside the forum and PMs this time. Similar under-dash noises are common in Dodge Ram trucks. The consensus is that most are normal. The HVAC blend door seems to be the primary culprit. But I still couldn't find a reason for it's continued/repeated operation even when the engine is off.

I even found
, but not mine. The videos sound more like hammering or gears stripping. Mine is a continuous servo whine that changes pitch at the end as it meets resistance. Maybe the blend doors in the videos are jammed. Something to look forward to, eh?
I have a 2015 Ram, I hear this noise every time I get I to the vehicle, even if I don't turn on the ignition.. so it is triggered by the door opening and closing is my findings.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts