Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my buildout and would like to add cameras - I am trying to figure out if I could merge dash cams with security cams. Ideally, I would like to have front, cabin and rear driving cams in case I get into an accident or get pulled over. But I would also like to have security cams near the roof on the sides and back to see outside while I am parked. What opinions do folks have on this? Should I try to merge both into one system or should I keep them separate?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Separate may be more affordable... I added a front dashcam/rearview mirror with recording and bump activation for about $125.

For look-around security viewing with no recording, you could get a few backup cameras and feed them to a monitor with an automatic 4 way sequencer that has manual selection if needed. You can view all 4 cameras at once, let 'em sequence, or pick one full screen.
Cameras about $25 each, sequencer about $100. Monitor about $100. Shouldn't be too hard to get a 12V version of each of these items.

Wonder if anyone makes a surveillence "periscope" for 360 degree looking around...

·
Registered
2019 2500 tall long wheelbase van
95 Posts
I am doing my buildout and would like to add cameras - I am trying to figure out if I could merge dash cams with security cams. Ideally, I would like to have front, cabin and rear driving cams in case I get into an accident or get pulled over. But I would also like to have security cams near the roof on the sides and back to see outside while I am parked. What opinions do folks have on this? Should I try to merge both into one system or should I keep them separate?

From what I've seen there are a number of "backup camera" systems on Amazon. Many have the capability to support 4 cameras. There is a trigger wire that you would hook to the back up light circuit to activate the camera. However, you can hook that same wire to a 12 volt source when the ignition is on and the cameras will work just fine. I have a single camera set up on my van and am using it as a rear view mirror. Most systems have a small memory card (32 GB) that will record over in a loop when the card is full. Usually many hours of recording time before the overwrite.

The systems I've seem can work as a security system too. They just need 12 volts to power them. My only concern might be the current draw might be enough to drain your battery overnight.

Depending on your setup, that may not be an issue. Of course there a security camera systems too. A little imagination and you may well be able to make them work as driving cameras. Whichever route you go, the hangup would be the screen. With dual systems, you'd need two screens.

Here is one such system:

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,224 Posts
We are pretty happy with the system we got. Here is a write up in a separate post:

It is basically a 4 camera DVR. We got it with the 10-in monitor and I bought a separate SSD so it could record for a very long time and not have any troubles with a spinning disk and the vibration of the van.

In retrospect, the only thing that I would change is to go to an eight camera model so I could have some cameras inside for monitoring pets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts