Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven with a personal dash cam for several years, and from what I have seen, I will not drive without one in my van. When I rode motorcycles, I had a Midland camera mounted to my helmet and it will come in handy at the November 2016 trial against the guy who hit me. In my vehicles, I had a Mini Series camera and I got a lot great videos that I have shared on YouTube (and earned revenue from). The heat finally got to my original Mini 0801 so I replaced it with a Viofo A119. I love this new dash cam! It uses a capacitor instead of a battery, has GPS built in, good size screen and it takes great videos. I popped in a Lexar 64GB 633x MicroSD card, hard wired the camera so it comes on when I crank the van and goes off with when I turn the van off. This MicroSD card is designed to handle the constant read/write of a dashcam, whereas ordinary cards will die a premature death.

I guess the general public knows I got a really good dash cam because I haven't recorded a single thing worth posting on YouTube yet. It won't take long before I see someone run off the road, wreck, run a red light, or some other traffic infraction. Here are a couple of shots of mine mounted. These pictures show a silver ring on the front and this does NOT come with the camera. I added it myself. It is a polarized filter that reduces glare and reflections off the windshield. I got it off of eBay a year or so ago, I couldn't find the link.

EDIT: Almost forgot, the dash cam pops on and off the windshield mount with ease so I can take it down whenever I want.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I thought about getting a dashcam but never followed through, too many choices out there. I'll have to look into this one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you pick up the power from?
I used a fuse tap at the fuse panel, about where your left knee would be if sitting in the driver's seat. The long wire that I had from the first dash cam ended in a male cigarette lighter plug. I installed a female receptacle under the dash and plugged it in there, that way I did not have to cut the wire.

The wire you see coming from the dash cam runs behind the trim down to the fuse panel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
does it come with a windshield mount or can it mount to the rearview mirror mount

·
Registered
56 Posts
Please post a link to your youtube channel. We want to see some of those "someone run off the road, wreck, run a red light, or some other traffic infraction." :v

·
Registered
130 Posts
I added this Dash Cam today. Love it. Connects to mobile app, even has a remote picture-on-the-fly button. Cinema-Wide recording at 1440. GPS info added to video. Accepts 128gb mini SD card. Big upgrade from my Mobius.

Fits great behind mirror, right side. No view obstruction. Magnetic mount, super easy to remove. Purchase link in video. Best cam for the $$ right now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was looking at this one today. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXAI5L...lid=1EPHXHOIG8OPQ&coliid=I143BZDE4I0QXG&psc=1 I don't have the factory backup camera so I want to add one. I found an OEM style rear camera on ebay for $89 and this provides the front camera. This camera records front and rear. And while the van is off it has motion activation and shock recording when your not in or near the van via and internal battery. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger a complete package under $200 bucks makes it seem worth a try.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How did you 'magnet mount' it to the winsdhield?
Mine has no metal up there, just the plastic shelf.
It has an adhesive mount that the power attaches to and a little pylon sticking down that the camera then attached to via magnets. This allows you to pull the camera off easily and leave just the little mount behind.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an pretty high tech front windshield dash cam -

By far the best dash cam for the money. Love the remote 'take a pic' button.

Out the rear window I use a Mobius Cam.

With the Millennial self absorbed idiots texting and fiddling with their phones even the most defensive driver is going to get hit sooner or later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run one in all my vehicles - I never drive without one,

For the PM I just installed this camera since the rear camera needed to be externally mounted - https://dashcambros.com/products/bl...nted-waterproof-infrared-rear-camera-gps-wifi

The rear camera on that unit is weatherproof and is extenrally mounted. The front camera shoots 1080p, and rear shoots 720p, and it runs on capacitor for heat resistance. It also has built in wifi so I can use my cell phone to view footage, etc, and almost acts like a surveillance system for me to see whats going on outside my van when im in it.

If you haev a mobile hotspot, you can connect it to cloud - which allows you to view the camera even when you are not in the vehicle!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just installed the Rex dash cam and hard wired it to the fuse panel by the door. I hid the wire along the windshield trim and down the A pillar trim. Very easy install on this one and looking forward to getting something on camera. Well worth the money for these if you are on the road a lot, especially if you are in an accident.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts