Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at low roof either 118WB or 136WB. Was wonderin' how well your dash ac does to keep your van (118wb/LR or 136wb/LR) cool in the cabin area and in the rest of the van when travelin'. Was thinkin' it might be better in the shorter van. Will be fully insulating. Sliding door window and rear door windows and driver and passenger doors with Expel tinting. Perhaps heavy curtain across the van just behind the seats. Just doin' some figgerin'. Would appreciate your experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
On the hottest summer day, I find that the dash AC keeps us very comfortable. I started my build with a heavy moving-type blanket as a curtain... it worked well, but that's long gone and the AC is just fine for the driver/passenger seats. Behind the seats, it get hot all the way back!

The heater, on the other hand, does a fine job of warming the whole van even on a cold winter day! I've often started the van and idled with the heater on while working on my build in the cargo area. It's been shirt-sleeve warm even on our cold New England winter days.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the hottest summer day, I find that the dash AC keeps us very comfortable. I started my build with a heavy moving-type blanket as a curtain... it worked well, but that's long gone and the AC is just fine for the driver/passenger seats. Behind the seats, it get hot all the way back!

The heater, on the other hand, does a fine job of warming the whole van even on a cold winter day! I've often started the van and idled with the heater on while working on my build in the cargo area. It's been shirt-sleeve warm even on our cold New England winter days.

I checked out your build. Wow! Very nice. Did you eventually install a roof ac unit or have you found that you can get along with just a MaxxAir fan?
I actuallly pondered installing two MaxxAir fans one in front and one in the rear in lieu of a roof air but not sure if that would really make a difference. Just move lot more air that is outside temperature through the van. Just trying to avoid roof ac install and all the additional electrical stuff and having to have a generator or place to plug in just for air conditioning.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,714 Posts
Thanks!

No room for a roof AC unit.. my Maxxair clears my carport by 1.5". Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd put the $$$ into something that I have to be plugged in to use.

I went 2 years without the Maxxair and 1 year since I installed it. It was OK before the vent fan and it's much better with it! I suppose if I was doing weeks of camping in FL summers, I'd be more interested in AC, but a nice breeze works well for us. As pictured, the van is dark grey so it does get hot on a summer day in the full sun. I like to stay in shaded campsites and that makes a big difference.

I put screened louvers in the front windows, and the Maxxair is at the farthest point back on my 159 roof, so the air moves thru the whole van... very effective! (would have been nice if Fiat put the flat spot for mounting at the back of the cargo area instead of the front!)

If it was easy to install an AC unit in the rear door, I might do it. I have looked into a plan to do it, but it's not at the top of my list. If I did, it would be removable for daily use and installed for trips.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I find my factory heater and AC work really well to warm it up or cool it off before we go to bed.
Our van is well insulated and I made a set of window covers from the bubbletex mylar insulation they sell at Lowes. Those are great. No divider curtain in our van.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

No room for a roof AC unit.. my Maxxair clears my carport by 1.5". Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd put the $$$ into something that I have to be plugged in to use.

I went 2 years without the Maxxair and 1 year since I installed it. It was OK before the vent fan and it's much better with it! I suppose if I was doing weeks of camping in FL summers, I'd be more interested in AC, but a nice breeze works well for us. As pictured, the van is dark grey so it does get hot on a summer day in the full sun. I like to stay in shaded campsites and that makes a big difference.

I put screened louvers in the front windows, and the Maxxair is at the farthest point back on my 159 roof, so the air moves thru the whole van... very effective! (would have been nice if Fiat put the flat spot for mounting at the back of the cargo area instead of the front!)

If it was easy to install an AC unit in the rear door, I might do it. I have looked into a plan to do it, but it's not at the top of my list. If I did, it would be removable for daily use and installed for trips.
Thanks for the info! I have a clearance problem also with my carport with just about the same clearance as you. If I have to later on, I will go with window AC unit inside. Have done it on a teardrop camper I built so I know it works but would be a bit more complicated for the van as it is already built and my teardrop was built from scratch. Great wood work in your van, obviously not a novice woodworker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I find my factory heater and AC work really well to warm it up or cool it off before we go to bed.
Our van is well insulated and I made a set of window covers from the bubbletex mylar insulation they sell at Lowes. Those are great. No divider curtain in our van.
Thanks Rich. I plan on puttin' some dollars into the insulation. I'm in the heart of Texas. December cold front came in today got down to 55 degrees today. ;) My fireplace is mostly just decorative. We get in the hunnerds in the summer. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts