Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a ProMaster that's been sitting at the rear of a dealer lot since Spring 2014 b/c it was "Damaged In Transit". Apparently there was an accident while unloading that damaged things underneath. There are no signs of any damage to the exterior.

Sensing there's a potential exceptional bargain price to be had I inquired about it. First salesman claimed that it hadn't been sitting there & wasn't damaged. Second salesman confirmed what I'd believed & said Ram now owned it & it wasn't for sale.

Wonder what part of the Ram Truck bureaucracy to contact in order to try an end run?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Talk to the Sales Manager, General Manager, or owner of the dealership. They should be able to put you in touch with the real owner of the vehicle, and probably have more interest in seeing it gone than a salesman..

·
Registered
53 Posts
The damage is probably structural. I don't think FCA would sell it to anyone. Will probably be crushed or donated to a school auto shop program.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got to talk with owner of dealership. Was told the 2014 PM that was damaged in transit had only required "bolt on" repairs & was sold. And the identical looking 2014 van in question is still being used to store contents of an office since remodeling was completed a year ago. He did not offer any incentive for me to buy this left over.

Perplexing how reluctant Ram Truck dealer is to sell it. Having talked to 3 different people there & getting 3 totally different stories didn't help their reputation one bit.

Instead of ferreting out a "potential exceptional bargain price" all I uncovered was incompetence.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Instead of ferreting out a "potential exceptional bargain price" all I uncovered was incompetence.
Kind of feels that way here in NW Arkansas too. A couple dealers with 2014's barely discounted from List Price... One has a dozen or so, back in the "overflow" lot, looking all dirty and abandoned (seems like the same dozen I saw 6 months ago) and when I inquired, was told "they are not gonna be much different than the price on the window sticker"... But was very anxious to take me inside and "spec out" a unit to order... The average guy would have assumed this dealer didn't have ANY vans, I didn't believe they could have sold them all, so I went looking... There were NONE out in front... I guess I just don't understand this business very well.. It almost seems like they are trying to prove to someone that these things can't be sold...

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I grew up in the car business with my father owning a few Ford dealerships. Most dealers are incompetent. No brand is better than the next because the owners and GM's are long time car dealers. It may be another couple decades before the car business catches up to other industries.

What you want is a dealer who likes to make a deal and move units. These are usually the largest dealerships who also advertise like crazy. They are hungry for manufacturer awards and spifs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While up North I've tried to work with 4 Ram Truck dealers. Two are big city dealers "who also advertise like crazy" the other 2 are small out of the way dealers w/modest local advertising budgets. One visited most often is close to home & on the way to town, pass it 6-8 times a week. So far none "likes to make deals".

What you want is a dealer who likes to make a deal and move units. These are usually the largest dealerships who also advertise like crazy.
That said "What (I) want is a dealer who likes to" stock ProMasters in any color except WHITE! These "crazy" dealers don't seem to want to "move units" sitting since Spring of 2014!

Am genuinely surprised none has even hinted at a left over discount to encourage a sale. May be a victim of those that do "advertise like crazy" & naively expect to find a year end/make room for 2016 model deal? Some of these guys didn't make room for 2015's!

Mopar & Fiat might not be a great mix?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
Jumper, a quick Google search will yield the dealers who are discounting the heaviest. Use autotempest.com. Are you opposed to buying used? I've seen some incredible deals on used.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confused. Are you suggesting to use Google or autotempest? Used to use autotempest in past, but they had a serious problem with Craigslist & became almost useless. Haven't been using it since then. Will give them another try.

Not "opposed to buying used" & do normally search for both new & used. However do not want to buy used while here in Rust Belt.

Will be back in FL by end of month to resume search in sunny South.

With 2016 models on the lots "Are you opposed to" thinking left over 2014 Promasters should be "some incredible deals"?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Confused. Are you suggesting to use Google or autotempest? Used to use autotempest in past, but they had a serious problem with Craigslist & became almost useless. Haven't been using it since then. Will give them another try.

Not "opposed to buying used" & do normally search for both new & used. However do not want to buy used while here in Rust Belt.

Will be back in FL by end of month to resume search in sunny South.

With 2016 models on the lots "Are you opposed to" thinking left over 2014 Promasters should be "some incredible deals"?
I got my 2014 diesel 136" high roof + nice options + Adrian Steel triple rack for $31,000...pretty good IMO and they were motivated to deal. Apparently they had to buy from Fiat and didn't want the capital tied up. They're out there, but I'm not sure why some continue to incur costs on a potentially 2 yr old van. Idiots I guess.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not trying to aggressively sell left over 2014 ProMasters after 2016 models are on the lot maybe poor business, but not sure it makes them "Idiots"?

Idiots I guess.
While asking why only some Ram Trucker dealers sell ProMaster somebody told me when Chrysler spun off Ram Truck they tried to further split it into consumer & commercial truck divisions. The politics/economics of this apparently PO'ed many dealers, especially those already ticked off about Fiat's take over. There are signs of similar friction with the Fiat 500 franchise.

Old time Hemi enthusiasts can't be thrilled about Fiat ruling the roost. In terms of ProMaster it's rumored that Fiat dictated the allotments Ram Commercial Truck dealers got. Dealers no doubt feel stuck with product they didn't want & have little enthusiasm to sell.

Checked out autotempest.com today & found it to be new & improved. Unfortunately it was still a dead end. All but 3 new & used ProMasters found were white.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not trying to aggressively sell left over 2014 ProMasters after 2016 models are on the lot maybe poor business, but not sure it makes them "Idiots"?

The politics/economics of this apparently PO'ed many dealers, especially those already ticked off about Fiat's take over.
Sorry but doesn't sound too smart to me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of room between "Idiots" and "too smart".

Have been trying to figure out why Ram Truck sales people seem to be lacking enthusiasm for ProMaster. Keep getting the feeling they just don't like them & don't like Fiat. Even geniuses have likes & dislikes.

IMO the basis of most preferences are irrational & some of the best salespeople are "Idiots".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts