Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been leaning toward the shorter 118wb mainly 'cause I figured it would be most easy to be my daily driver. We have heavy congested streets, highways and parking lots in Austin and it looks like it will just get worse. My old Honda CRV is going to my daughter and the van will be my do everything in vehicle. But another 18 inches in length would really make some difference in my build. Was wonderin' if you have a 136wb do you consider it easy (not stressful) to drive around in traffic and maneuver in parking lots and such? Some photos I've seen looks like it may stick out a little in diagonal parking spaces and in straight in spaces in parking lots, not sure 'cause some camera angles can be deceiving. I think the Chevy Silverado Crew Cabs are 230 inches long and they are a might long for parking spaces. I believe the 136wb PM is 213 inches long.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find the length of my 136 to not be a problem at all. It is only 6 inches longer than my Honda Ridgeline. The width is more of an issue as in the need to park out further in the parking lots so not to get banged up. I really like the 136 length. It seems short in the parking lots and large inside
(10 ft.) behind the seats.

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
I drive and park my 159 high every day, everywhere. I wouldn’t even consider getting a 118 low or even a 136 for any reason!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I have never found the 136 HT to be a problem, even in Key West, New Orlean’s French Quarter, Boston, anywhere. In Rhonda Spain we saw a bunch in parts of town built during Roman times. It is very maneuverable and though a bit wide it seems to make up for that by being so easy to see out of. Have the slider and rear doors!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ive owned a 136 since June 14.
I chose it over the 118 since the added space is already there vrs NOT.
Parking is not a problem, for me, as I always park further out so nobody will door ding me. And the walking extra does me good.
Go fo the extra space! And park away from others. win win

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 136 and use it as a daily driver in a very busy, congested city. It drives and parks better than my old mini van. I would love a 159 but it would have been hard to drive and park here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I drive my 136 through streets of L.A. And associated highways. I find it as difficult as a crew cab truck which isnt that difficult. The only issue is parking since it is wide. So it does need proper approach angles to not encroach on adjacent spots.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts! Looks like length isn't as much as an issue as is width. Hadn't thought of that. All lengths of PMs have the same width so that's gonna be an issue to deal with no matter which van I get. I would like a high top but my carport is too low and there's nowhere else to park it. Well I had scheduled an extended tryout drive with a local dealer as soon as they got a 118WB in but I think I'll give him a call and change that to a 136WB. At least that way I can eliminate it if it's not for me. Was thinkin, if I was to try out the 118WB and like it, then there'd always be that not knowing if the 136WB would have been better. That 18 extra inches sure makes a difference in my build plans. I was lookin' at my plan for the 118WB and everything is really jammed in and very compacted.........like constipated. Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Keep in mind that once you get used to the exterior size, maneuverability is what's going to be most apparent in day-to-day driving on congested streets, parking lots, etc. That's where all the PMs really shine, since to 39-40 foot turning radius of the 136 is tighter than many midsize SUVs, and on par with many full-size cars. The 36 foot turning radius of the 118 is crazy tight. I quite enjoy being able to U-turn pulling away from the curb on city streets that would require a three point turn with our Dodge Charger.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My 118 is forcing me to be very resourceful in the build . But there is soooo much more room inside than the old E-Line. On the very twisty road up and down Mt Diablo the E-Line was a workout , the 118 PM a "sport job" .
In my case I didn't have a choice but i like what I has !!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Uncle George, i live north side of I35 and have no issue with my 159WB as daily driver ; however, finding parking in downtown area is a issue

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ive owned a 136 since June 14.
I chose it over the 118 since the added space is already there vrs NOT.
Parking is not a problem, for me, as I always park further out so nobody will door ding me. And the walking extra does me good.
Go fo the extra space! And park away from others. win win
This is exactly my experience as well. I got mine in August of 15. Mine was a left over 2014 136" HT gasser. It IS my daily driver. No issues at all. Just watch for low overhangs!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I actually prefer driving this van as I like sitting up higher and it drives nice. However there is no way I'd drive this as a daily driver only because of the gas mileage. My daily driver is a Prius C and I get 50-55mpg so I'm used to $20 fill ups that last several weeks. If I drove this daily I'd be putting in more than three times that. If it's your only car, sure. But if you have something else, I'd drive that instead if it gets better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
I drive and park my 159 high every day, everywhere. I wouldn’t even consider getting a 118 low or even a 136 for any reason!
I'm with KOV... If Ram only made one size Promaster, I'd bet it would be a 159 HI.

I continue to be amazed at the turning radius on this thing... I do U turns in places that I wouldn't consider doing it in my car!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uncle George, i live north side of I35 and have no issue with my 159WB as daily driver ; however, finding parking in downtown area is a issue
I try to stay south of the river if I can but when I go downtown we take my 18 year old CRV for parking ease and not to have to worry so much about a new door ding. I probably wouldn't ever take my van downtown. My two favorite downtown restaurants have very limited street parking, parallel 20 foot spots that are usually taken, and the parking garages close to them won't accommodate tall or long vans. Not sure but doubt a low top PM would fit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually prefer driving this van as I like sitting up higher and it drives nice. However there is no way I'd drive this as a daily driver only because of the gas mileage. My daily driver is a Prius C and I get 50-55mpg so I'm used to $20 fill ups that last several weeks. If I drove this daily I'd be putting in more than three times that. If it's your only car, sure. But if you have something else, I'd drive that instead if it gets better gas mileage.
The high up driving position is what has gotten me the okay from the wife as she so disliked the low ride of her Honda Civic. Her favorite vehicles we ever had was an Astro Van and Chevy Express custom and it was because we sat up so high. So now we're lookin' at what we liked about the previous vans we had only now she'll able to stand up in it, it's wider and better driving characteristics of the front wheel drive and hopefully a bit better gas mileage. Certainly hard to beat that Prius gas mileage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had a extended cab Silverado prior to the 159 PM. City driving not an issue but I think the PM is easier to drive around. As others have said tight turning radius on the PM. The mirrors are bigger and better on the PM too. I thought I would have to add a backup camera but it is not too bad without one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
We have a 136 low roof we drive all of the time. It seems more maneuverable than our old Sierra truck. The low roof allows us to get into a number of parking garages and had been less likely to hit low branches in some if the places we camp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts