Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting my first van conversion and wanted to post the build to bounce ideas as I go. I have a white 136 high top.

My to do list:
sound reduction material- hush mat
Insulate - a mix of cotton fiber with a reflective backing and maybe a little foam
Birch wood panels on the walls and celling
plywood floor with some sort of finish(looking at a few options here)
stereo upgrade
receiver hitch with bike rack
roof rack with awning
queen size bed in the rear
two slide out drawers under the bed
will be using a chuck box I have for cooking
engel 45 for a fridge
water will be in two 7gal containers with a simple hand pump
three mounted led lights
maxxfan for air flow
ArkPak battery kit with a group 31 AGM battery
140w folding solar panel

I have everything ready to go besides the floor and will start insulating tomorrow. Pics to come as I get going! I am having a friend help with the build and hope it all works out:D

Wish me luck....

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Sounds great. I will be watching closely as I am a few months behind you. I actually just decided on the 136 high rather than the 159 (159 was just a bit too long for a daily driver IMHO). I plan on a combo shower/head, and a convertible sofa bed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Daily Driver/Weekend Camper Build Reply to Thread

Thinking along these lines also, plus using it to haul stuff so I want really simple and removable. I'll be following. One thing mentioned by others; if you heat the interior for winter use you may have condensation/moisture buildup issues inside the walls with cotton based insulation.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Hi,
Sounds good. Please do post pictures.

I've heard that the some of the hand pumps can be kind of slow for delivering water -- they do make some submersible electric pumps that will go right into the jug -- might be worth looking at.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,053 Posts
Hi,
Sounds good. Please do post pictures.

I've heard that the some of the hand pumps can be kind of slow for delivering water -- they do make some submersible electric pumps that will go right into the jug -- might be worth looking at.

Gary
I just bought a 12v on demand pump for my van from Amazon for under $28 inc shipping!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLKT4OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the pics from day one. Covering 25% of the cargo area with hush mat and getting prepped for the insulation.
Rear speakers installed in the back corners and a small amp/sub put in.

We are going to wire the lights and glue insulation tomorrow.

Had to camp a few nights driving to van from Colorado ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
hushmat, interesting. I wondered what that stuff was, when I saw it on the walls of the Ford Transit I test drove. Ford painted right over it. Looked terrible.

I asked my father what he thought it was. He said it used to be inside car trunks in the 60s. I guess now it's marketed to audiofiles.

Good to know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am using a program called install and mess-up. You input your design, drink a beer, and then decide it looks good enough.....

I really liked all those cool computer design programs but I am keeping very simple. I am putting in a bed and a few drawers. We are just diving in and going for it!

There is a bunch of info on the sprinter and expedition portal forums about van build outs with very detailed lay outs. Its where I have looked for a lot of my ideas!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hushmat, interesting. I wondered what that stuff was, when I saw it on the walls of the Ford Transit I test drove. Ford painted right over it. Looked terrible.

I asked my father what he thought it was. He said it used to be inside car trunks in the 60s. I guess now it's marketed to audiofiles.

Good to know.
Hush mat combined with insulation provides a lot of road noise being cancelled out. You only need to cover about 25% of the surface with hush mat, not full coverage like all the car audio guys do. It really does make a huge difference in the sound in the cabin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice job on the fan.

What are you using to fill in the valleys between the roof ribs?

Gary
We milled out some plastic to fill the gaps. Thought about just filling in with the gasket material but like the more solid plastic for a long term seal. We will see if it works!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts