Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had my 16,700 mile 11 month old 2014 Promaster 1500 (136WB High Roof) towed to the dealership today. Luckily I was close to the house when it started kicking and sputtering. Completely died on me but was able to limp to the house after cranking it several times and having to floor the accelerator to keep it running. I put my OBDII port tester on it when I got home and was showing cylinder 1 misfire. It won't be looked at until Monday so I will keep you all posted.

FYI: My Promaster is outfitted as a Locksmith Van (bin package, machines, keys, various tools and equipment but not over loaded). It has been babied since day one. I am EXTREMELY disappointed. I hope it is nothing serious but very concerned to be having these issues with such low miles.

Fingers crossed, this van is my livelihood. I'm out of work until it is fixed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Is it gas or diesel?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What little I know is this: if the crank sensor sees uneven speed at the crank, it deduces which cylinder isnt firing from where in the rotation the delay occured. What that means is that if you, say, disabled the #1 injector, the code would be cylinder 1 misfire. If #1 piston cracked, code would read misfire. My point is that tons of stuff can trigger that code, none realated to the coil or plug or even that cylinder.

That said, it should be somewhat easy to find. He'll check spark and fuel on 1, and that will point him in a direction. My wild guess is **** find a bad connection at the #1 igniter (coil). But thats a guess.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
A #1 cyl. misfire shouldn't have caused the engine to die. Shudder and low power but it should run. Hope for the COP failure which the code would point to as the most likely low mileage failure, but ........ That engine is so common they should find it in short time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would not be to worried, if they can't find a problem like that in under an hour on a Dodge minivan engine they may as well
close down their shop and all go home...
Please post the results...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I looked up some parts prices on the pentastar before I bought the pm and they are exceptionally reasonable. I think an igniter is 60-70 bucks. Not too bad, and theres no wires to buy with the coil on plug. Fuel pump, from chrysler, was around 300. I think a starter was 150. All very reasonable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got in the shop this morning at 9:00am. Businesslink isn't worth the paper it's written on. No wonder it's free. As of 3:45pm they are still trying to decipher the failure. As of right now it may be an engine failure is what I'm being told. I don't know any details.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... The culprit looks to be a broken valve spring. Don't have any more details yet. I'm not a mechanic but am being told it's just something that happens. Nothing I could have done to prevent it. Just scares me having issues like this on a low mileage motor.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
They are right it seldom happens but does. It used to be more common but metallurgy has improved and tempering is more of a science as well as better quality control. I wouldn't worry about others breaking. That explains everything. I expect the Pentastar is a non interference engine or you would need a head and perhaps a piston too. Let them fix it and relax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts