Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any problems with the CV joints? I am currently stuck in Illinois waiting on a new left drive axle after the CV boot tore sometime during my recent cross country trip. 2014 diesel with 12300 miles. I'm guessing it could be related to road debris as a boot failure seems strange in 12000 miles.

-Tyler

·
Banned
413 Posts
I found a puddle of fluid on my driveway when I came home from vacation earlier this summer. The PM had just had an oil change, then been parked for 2+ weeks. Driveway was pristine before that, so I assumed/hoped that maybe the dealer had overfilled something, or spilled something when filling.

Nope. They ended up replacing both drive axles, under warranty. IIRC I had ~5000 miles on the van at the time, maybe 2 months old.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is yours, mikesee?

I'm back on the road with a new left drive axle, replaced under warranty. It's strange, they can't just replace the CV boot on the promaster, the whole $1200 drive axle has to be replaced!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
CV boot failure and stuck axle

Hey guys I’m new here so bear with me,I have a 2014 2500 high roof gasser my cv boot failed and the complete axle,long story short we finally got the inner shaft out ,has anyone here ever heard of a stuck axle ruining your transmission ,I was told because the axle was stuck it probably ruined my pinion bearing and tranny but there were no issues with tranny before the break down and the guy didn’t even inspect the bearing bring that it was still in the inner part of shaft hole

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Axles

Possible, but probably you'll be ok. The right side (passenger side) won't ever have this problem because the CV axle assembly mates to the carrier (or jackshaft, or intermediate shaft, or drive shaft, or whatever you want to call it). This carrier is retained by a carrier bearing bolted right to the back of the block, so unless something physically crashed into the wheel, it's doubtful the differential side would even notice if the CV joint broke.

The left side (driver's) is a bit different as the CV assembly mates right into the diff. But still, the hard parts of the axle are retained at the wheel side by the giant axle nut, and the inner part of the axle is a slip joint anyway. So again, as far as the trans is concerned, a busted CV joint just looks like wheelspin.

The axles are fairly easy to change when they do break. I'm on my third (across two vans with a combined 700,000 miles). But they ain't cheap. Dealer retail is $400 each, when they aren't on backorder. The internet parts houses have them for around $275. Rocket has rebuilds (currently backordered) for around $250, and junkyards generally get 100-125 for used ones.

One tip: when ordering make SURE the dude asks diesel or gas, because they look similar but are not interchangeable, at least on the right side. Ask me how I know this!

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
199 Posts
Passenger side cv boot was squirting out grease. My indie mechanic checked it out and said it wasn’t torn. Took it into Ram dealership to replace vibrating mirror under warranty. They also replaced cv assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts