Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first tasks I will tackle when I pick up my 159 van is to install a fixed CRL window behind driver.
Followed by two MaxxFans.

While I can easily cut with scroll saw / sheet metal fine tooth blade, I once saw a video of a pro installer using a pneumatic sheet metal snip. Those snips are not expensive and I have plenty working air but could just as easily use my existing Midwest straight aviation tin snip.

Why snip vs scroll saw ? cleaner cut, avoid vibrating wall, eliminate generating chips for one.

Has anyone use snips to cut the wall and roof for window and vent ? The roof might be iffy due to the ribs ?
I am imagining a bit of edge curling but would depend on wall thickness.

Edge will be filed and appropriately painted before window goes in. Either way will cover interior with plastic just in case.
My default is to use the scroll saw but thought I ask.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,005 Posts
No reason to spend the money. Jig saw with a good blade i plenty fine. Make sure to completely cover the interior in a plastic sheet to catch the metal bits that will fly everywhere.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I like the scroll saw method myself as I am quite used to mine and its smooth.

Just wondering if others have a compelling reason to use a snip/nibbler.

You are right on flying metal sawdust. Will cover well and have vac ready with crevice attachment ready. Metal chips even on a painted surface is a corrosion cell in the making.

Santiago

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stout blades are a good thing. I had a pack of Lenox blades, which I know is a good product, so went to work. Part way through I swapped for a Bosch blade that came with my saw, that Bosch blade was of a somewhat heavier gauge steel and worked better-was easier to turn with.

Reactions: Santiago

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRL Window pricing news: For my 159 van's front drivers side fixed CRL window I need this CRL clamp on model:

RAM PROMASTER DRIVER'S SIDE FRONT FIXED WINDOW (FW382L) FOR RAM PROMASTER 136"/159" WB VAN

DK Hardware wants $350
https://www.dkhardware.com/2014-oem...-159-wheelbase-only-fw382l-product-77340.html

Camper Van in Colorado wants $256
https://www.campervan-hq.com/collec...and-159-fixed-drivers-side-front-panel-fw382l

Camper Van has distribution centers around the country and fortunately in Los Angeles as CRL is based in LA. I will and pick up there.

The LA warehouse is out of stock but will re-stock before Kim and I leave for a month again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The LA warehouse is out of stock but will re-stock before Kim and I leave for a month again.
Hope you're not counting on a specific date. I ordered a window 27 Nov, to be available 19 Dec. Then 2 Jan. Then 29 Jan. ;)

As for cutting the van, I'm going to try power snips for my second window installation (will try on scrap first). The first I used a jigsaw like everyone else. Worked fine, but messier than I would have liked. I cut some pieces of the cutout aside with handheld aviation snips - you don't want to do that; there was way too much bending of the metal.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hope you're not counting on a specific date. I ordered a window 27 Nov, to be available 19 Dec. Then 2 Jan. Then 29 Jan. ;)
You are scaring me. Although the model (FW382L) I need is scheduled to be in stock at the vendor's Vernon warehouse (near LA) 27 March, I will place order today to "reserve" my window.

If it does not arrive and takes a lot longer, its ok, I have plenty of other things to do and wait till after we return in May.
Thanks for the reality check on van window lead times.

One bit of good news is that the Dodge dealer called and reported that my van made it to San Diego, so it should be at his dealership sometime next week. Lets see, it took 5 full months ! No problem we are busy and patient.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are scaring me. Although the model (FW382L) I need is scheduled to be in stock at the vendor's Vernon warehouse (near LA) 27 March, I will place order today to "reserve" my window.

If it does not arrive and takes a lot longer, its ok, I have plenty of other things to do and wait till after we return in May.
Thanks for the reality check on van window lead times.
If it makes you feel better, the first two windows (slider window, generic fit for back) were on time, only the driver side was late. ;)

I also picked up at the LA CRL warehouse. That's its own nightmare - I waited over an hour each time (closer to 4 hours the first time) while they looked for the windows. I had even called ahead as Greg from campervan-hq suggested. if shipping isn't too much, I'd just have them delivered.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also picked up at the LA CRL warehouse. That's its own nightmare - I waited over an hour each time (closer to 4 hours the first time) while they looked for the windows.
Good advice. Will check on shipping costs.
Otherwise - bring book, food and water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts