Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen countless videos, photos and accounts of cutting the 14" hole for a roof fan. By now am sure I can do it in my sleep.

What just hit me were the roof braces being in the way. When I had brief access to a 159 HT I measured it to death including depth of braces.
What I forgot to do was see what clear space there was from foot of one brace to the next one where the hole could be cut without cutting or partially cutting adjoining brace. I know on the 159 there are 5 roof braces and not all are spaced equally.

Question: is there a minimum of 14 inches between braces ? Will back and look at various installation videos but don't remember any installer addressing this ?

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
The 159 has a flat space on the roof right behind the rear sears for a fan/vent. You can also put it just about anywhere you like on a 159.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 159 has a flat space on the roof right behind the rear sears for a fan/vent. You can also put it just about anywhere you like on a 159.
KOV, this is a relief. We rented a 159 2500 last week to really test drive for real (no limited drive with sales guy) enjoying parallel parking exercises, street maneuvers, long freeway driving, etc all the while pretending it was ours, I wish. We measured everything in the inside to compare to our drawings and photographed it in detail. Looking at the photos now I wasn't sure about free and clear space between roof braces. Holy smokes, I completely forgot to measure that!

Thanks for the re-assurance.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
KOV, this is a relief. We rented a 159 2500 last week to really test drive for real (no limited drive with sales guy) enjoying parallel parking exercises, street maneuvers, long freeway driving, etc all the while pretending it was ours, I wish. We measured everything in the inside to compare to our drawings and photographed it in detail. Looking at the photos now I wasn't sure about free and clear space between roof braces. Holy smokes, I completely forgot to measure that!

Thanks for the re-assurance.
If you put it anywhere else other than behind the front seats you will have to fill in the roof ridges but that's really no big deal. Many have done it.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you put it anywhere else other than behind the front seats you will have to fill in the roof ridges but that's really no big deal. Many have done it.
You are absolutely right KOV, from all the installation videos and my inspection of the rental I am aware of the ridges and as you said so well, its not a big deal. What is a big deal was the thought of cutting bracing which meant I would have to reinforce that section myself to make it up. That's a lot of work.

Thank you Sir !

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
You definitely don't want to cut the roof support structure. There is ample room between them. Our adapter takes care of the ridges. We can make these for the elevated area towards the front as well but not essential for that area.

We've even made large ones for a skylight.

·
Registered
468 Posts
ours is in the flat space just behind the front seats. the only this I wish our van didn't have is the factory rear glass so I could install at least one window on the door that opens.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,543 Posts
Hein,

Thanks! After almost a year of emails hoping that you would make a skylight size adapter (that you said was very complex, and would cost $250), you now offer that adapter! Glad I went with my Plan B.

Santiago,

I put mine in the back, close to the rear edge of the roof... My 4500 Maxxair fit perfectly, but the 7500 with the larger top overhang would be an issue in the rearmost position. I saved money, used no adapter, just a few extra layers of butyl on the low ridges, and the install has been leak free!

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
Yes sometimes the simplest solution is also the best (and cheapest). No adapter is really necessary unless you have $$$ to burn ;)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hein,

Thanks! After almost a year of emails hoping that you would make a skylight size adapter (that you said was very complex, and would cost $250), you now offer that adapter! Glad I went with my Plan B.
This one was easier because the skylight had a flat frame. Not domed. Sorry I was not able to accommodate your needs at the time and glad to hear you came up with a solution.

The adapter ($62 shipped) is not essential. But it perfectly absorbs the ridges and slight curvature that exists in the roof to provide a flat surface for the vent. It does make the anxious job of cutting the hole a bit easier. And raises the vent flange seal above the roof surface and away from pooling water.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This one was easier because the skylight had a flat frame. <snip>The adapter ($62 shipped) is not essential. But it perfectly absorbs the ridges and slight curvature that exists in the roof to provide a flat surface for the vent.
Is there a specific skylight that this was made for? I see that CRL makes a few.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,543 Posts
ours is in the flat space just behind the front seats. the only this I wish our van didn't have is the factory rear glass so I could install at least one window on the door that opens.
I agree! When I bought mine, I wanted the rear windows, but I guess we learn as we go along. If I didn't have them, I would have set up a window that was easily changed to a small 120V air conditioner... window for daily use / AC for trips!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,543 Posts
Is there a specific skylight that this was made for? I see that CRL makes a few.
The CRL that Hein says it's NOT made for is the standard CRL AP1530. I was going to install one in the back, but instead found that a Maxxaire 4500 had a low enough profile to fit under our carport. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
The CRL that Hein says it's NOT made for is the standard CRL AP1530. I was going to install one in the back, but instead found that a Maxxaire 4500 had a low enough profile to fit under our carport. :)
Someone on the forum mounted a CR Laurence AP1530B5H in the flat panel right behind the driver without the use if any other aftermarket product.

Click for Sunroof

·
Banned
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Typical of this forum.
All the help, answers, opinions, advice and even parts to make job easier and more effective one could ever hope for.

Good ventilation is critical for condensation management, cooking and cooling. I love Maxxaire fans and will fully utilize them in better ways than in the past.

Air conditioning will be window mount unit built into a cabinet. Will install AC as soon as we realize we need it as we travel across our great country but its location, wiring and clearances will be there by design patiently waiting for the day the AC install gets the green light. What will cool us all the time will be the roof fan.

Thank you all for helping me out as we continue with our design.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what product do you recommend for installing a 14 X 14 fan vent on the ridges of the roof to allow for a water tight installation, thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
There are many, many write ups by members here detailing exactly what you want to know. The search bar is on the top right side of the forum and google is your friend. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen countless videos, photos and accounts of cutting the 14" hole for a roof fan. By now am sure I can do it in my sleep.

What just hit me were the roof braces being in the way. When I had brief access to a 159 HT I measured it to death including depth of braces.
What I forgot to do was see what clear space there was from foot of one brace to the next one where the hole could be cut without cutting or partially cutting adjoining brace. I know on the 159 there are 5 roof braces and not all are spaced equally.

Question: is there a minimum of 14 inches between braces ? Will back and look at various installation videos but don't remember any installer addressing this ?
There are 3-24" spaces, a 17" and a 16" on our 159

1 - 18 of 18 Posts