Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to cut down the wind noise coming from the roof racks so I designed this 5' wide wind deflector from a 1/4" thick scrap piece of ABS. Not only is the noise completely gone but it looks like I picked up some MPG's. From my calculations about 1/2 mile per gallon!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice Wind Deflector

How did you attach it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I picked up from Home Depot a 36" long, 1/8'' thick and 1" wide aluminum stock and cut 4 sections 8" long. Put the sections in a vice and bent them to the angle i needed for the deflector leaving approxmatly 1.5" to rest against the rack. Drilled 1/4" holes with nut bolt and washer and slide the entire deflector through the rack. 3m VHB works awesome to secure the aluminum to the ABS deflector!with no holes drilled!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The video in post 4 above is interesting. There is a scientific explanation. The whistling is likely caused by a Karman Vortex -- see Wikipedia. The spiral wrap breaks up the formation of the noise generating vortex. My 2012 Ford Escape has a vertical radio antenna that has a spiral formed into the plastic outer covering. Many folks think this is a spiral wire conductor but that is not the case. The antenna is vertical inside and the spiral is simply to prevent possible whistling at high speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very Nice,
I built one almost exactly like that except I used the sheet metal that I cut out for my windows. I had some problem at first with wind getting under is so I lowered so that it almost hits the roof and now it is very quiet.
I think I got the idea from some pictures online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts