Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Question on these types of screens - how well do they keep the bugs out? I purchased a Magic Mesh from Wally World for $30 (not yet installed), but the magnetic catches are only every foot or so, seems like a lot of skeeters could come in through those gaps.
I made mine from the Walmart (or was it Menards?) garage screens. Very weak magnets every 8 inches or so and no overlap space for the material. Remarkably it worked very well in mosquito infested campgrounds around Michigan the last few days. I forgot to take a picture of the wall-o-mosquitoes that covered the mesh after an hour or so.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hmmm. A Facebook group has a copy/paste of this same post, also disguised as a post. I think it's an ad they're sneaking in.
Unfortunately these are becoming more and more common. I don’t delete them as spammers unless they show up in the forums known spammer list unless it’s blatantly offensive or miss-leading unless someone complains then I have no problem banning them.
So lame. It's sleazy and deceiving. They should state their agenda up front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. I know this only my second post here (been busy with my last minute build-out), but i did buy two of these screens off Amazon and so far they work great. I had to cut them down, of course, but so far they are working great. I'm in Wisconsin, home of mosquitos the size of small birds. I've been working in the van with these up, at dusk, with no issues. As far as the treating the bottom, after cutting to length...What I did was go in my shop and find a bunch of left over 1/4-20 bolts, cut the heads off, and used them as weights on the bottom of the screen. I used 2" gaffers tape to create a bottom seam that holds these bolt cutt-offs. After taping them all up, I dropped some super glue into the seam to avoid the tape coming loose. So far so good. Good luck.

I will post photos tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate here, because I would gladly pay 33 extra for a door screen (most times of the year) not to have to do the work, but I can definitely see that some people would not. Being the first part of summer (from May to mid july I have a lot of time off work) I might do it myself right now, but from Mid July through April I would probably hand over the $33 and save my time.

I figure its at least an hour job to cut, tape, seam, sew, or glue (for me) and I value my time during the work year at more than $33 per hour. If you are retired or have plenty of time the math comes out different.

In any event I am planning to add a retractable screen during my current van renovation, so I have no knowledge about this product and don't endorse it, just thought I would take this ad post and have a discussion on the merits of DIY versus paying someone, so maybe there is value in the post.

Did you add your retractable screen? Would love to see it...

·
Registered
2019 1500 136" LR - "Van o' White"
80 Posts
How does the mesh size work against no-see-um's and greenheads? These little buggers (excuse the pun) can be terribly bothersome up here in the Northeast. Just wondering if a tighter mesh size is needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unfortunately, I am a magnet for all biting insects. Even with my family around me, I'm usually the only one to be bitten and end up almost getting eaten alive.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Sweet attracts insects. When we used to wilderness canoe camp we avoided applying any smells. If you went into the lake to clean up then no additives except deet. It makes an amazing difference. Avoid flower colored clothes too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just thought I'd show you all the finished product. The only downfall was that the bug screen took 19 days to get here since it was custom made and came from China. I gave them the measurements and it came in the correct size
IMG_20200623_174405.jpg
and fits like a glove. Really happy with the end product. It's very good quality as well. And no this is not an advertisement. I did share on Facebook as well since I found that it was an excellent deal and wanted to share with fellow van peeps. I'm pretty happy that I didn't have to do any altering or sewing, since I don't own a sewing machine, and don't know how to sew. Now that I have this one installed I will be ordering the rear. And yes this one will be on permanently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take it back. As you suspect, occasional magnets will leave gaps. You want one with virtually continuous magnets. Mine alternates stronger magnets with weaker long thin magnets that I have never seen for sale anywhere—though I know they must be.

i have made three screens for my slider, each starting with a purchased screen because there is no way a home sewer can replicate that magnetic closure. My present screen has noseeum screen. Absolutely no way would I make and sell one of these for $35 or even $70.
MsNomer, what screen (brand/source) did you start with. SWMBO and I both sew.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I just spend few hours cut and sew the Amazon screen. If I don't have a trip coming up next week, I would just return the Amazon one and order the custom made one. My sewing machine skill sucks, haha.
I still have to shorten the screen but that have to waiting I get back from the trip.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts

As I posted here somewhere, the center magnetic strip is the only part I ended up using. I replaced the screen with noseeum screen from mosquitocurtains.com, used real Velcro on top and one side, magnets on the other.
@MsNomer, I recall talking about noseeum screen before. Did you find that noseeums are able to get through the normal mosquito netting? If a smaller (finer) screen is needed, how much did it reduce the ventilation provided by the original mosquito screen?

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I can’t answer as to reduced ventilation, except that we haven’t noticed. I do notice that it blocks more light. My motivation came after being eaten alive by noseeums while overnighting at a trailhead in GA—pretty darn miserable. Gnats and other light-loving bugs could also get through the regular screen and make a mess around the lights. I have also changed to noseeum screening in my rear screen and in two of my Motion Windows.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I requested samples of this materials (1.0 oz MONOLITE Ripstop Nylon Mesh) and the no-see-um material they carry. Supposedly, the ripstop is very durable and also breathable. If that proves to be true, I'll be making bug screens out of that material. It's also supposedly water repellent might come in handy should we decide to have an outside shower in the rear.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts